Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 05:50 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Encouraging animalistic behavior by suppressing any and all attempts to identify it and control it leads to this obvious outcome. What else can truly be expected with the progressive agenda in full control of NYC's school system? If a teacher takes action they will be labeled as racist and disciplined or even fired. What teacher is going to bother in that environment?
"Progressive agendas" have nothing to do with it.
You do not realize this because you are not involved in education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2016, 06:01 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
The progressive agenda is overwhelmed and far too stretched. Its difficult to have complete full control from birth to incarceration of millions of lives to find time to ensure something so basic as to how to read. They're sidetracked. Busy running businesses and controlling industries.

Old 01-17-2016, 06:16 PM

566 posts, read 503,953 times
And so what took him so long to write that darn book?
The tech has changed, but have the kids? Are there updates on any of the kids?

I recall watching "Scared Straight" 20th.Ann re-union show. The kids had their own kids. Just one was in jail.

But, heck, I had a "bad" kid in my public school. One day I am watching Johnny Carson, and that kid is on singing!

Old 01-17-2016, 06:53 PM

19,046 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I completely agree with you here. Many posters get angry when I said socioeconomic play a huge role in the success of kids. If parents can afford a private school or afford to live in an area with good public schools (and not those full of "disadvantaged" kids, their children have much better prospects.
It's the only way. Anything else is pure stupidity. Intentionally subjecting your children to such an environment is nothing short of assinine. Anyone who thinks otherwise is mentally impaired.

Old 01-17-2016, 06:54 PM

19,046 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Quote:
So what is it? Progressivism/liberalism sure seems to be the ideology pushing a free-for-all of decadent behavior and expressionism.

Old 01-17-2016, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
So what is it?
That would be subject to the old familiar "matter of opinion."
I like and respect different opinions but they had better be informed and smart.

You might start by considering the remarks here: anthropologies: Neoliberal Education: From Affordable Education to Expensive Training

This chiefly addresses university education but the whole thing starts at birth. The foundation is laid.

Insufficient time at the moment to discuss it all as it deserves - something I already do enough in real life.

Old 01-17-2016, 07:09 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,076,358 times
Quote:
I'd say when the NYCDOE makes a point to reduce suspensions of minority (black and latino) students based on the recommendation from Attorney General Eric Holder, that's an agenda. I wouldn't call it 'progressive' since it's absolutely regressive, but many might label that kind of thinking as progressive.
It makes perfect sense that the suspensions in school reflect the prison demographics. Stepping out of line be it developmental or cultural is clearly not an Asian trait.

This book depicts something you see in many poor urban schools. Learning does not happen when there is absolutely no control and student's behavior is completely out of line.

Some of the children this teacher worked with will end up in jail.
NYC segregates it's high schools based on SHSAT, academic merit, behavioral issues (too many any you wont get into some schools).

The dud schools need some serious overhaul to support those kids.
SMALL SMALL classes. Double the dean-to-student ratio of many schools. Longer hours. Available afterschool programs for every interest. Absolutely, Absolutely, Absolutely no first year teachers.

Regretfully though, there are some individuals who by 16 are going to ruin the environment for everyone else.

Part of the lack of reform I blame on the lack of need for it.
Those with money, connections, and power are not involved with these schools in any way.
They do -not- have to send their kids to them.

Old 01-17-2016, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post

Part of the lack of reform I blame on the lack of need for it.
Those with money, connections, and power are not involved with these schools in any way.
They do -not- have to send their kids to them.

Absolutely the case.

But hey, nothing is stopping those parents from rising up on their own. Right ?
Yeah.

Some people with money and connections are there but it isn't enough.
This will be probably the millionth time I have said this here. The actually wealthy do not care with a couple of exceptions. Literally a few people.

Old 01-17-2016, 07:55 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
The wealthy hides behind a big government. They pay them to hide the trash.

Old 01-17-2016, 07:59 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,943,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Governments primary role is to provide the people with education. But of course the better they educate, the more difficult it would be for liberal politicians to control and contain the people. Perhaps the teacher can't control them, but big government has them right where they want them. Yet everyone continues to blame the party that they didn't vote for.
Providing ''the people'' with education is not the governments primary role.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: