Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 11:04 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,200,983 times

Advertisements

So, how many of you read the article before you started nattering on about "agendas"? The school the teacher was in was essentially an alternative school for kids who, for one reason or another, couldn't function in regular public schools. The newbie teacher naively thought that he was going to be able to "fix" kids with problems that ran much deeper than being functionally illiterate.

Family dysfunction is the #1 reason that children and their public schools "fail". This dysfunction runs the gamut from parental mental illness, substance abuse, homelessness, violence,etc to just plain ignorance of how to act, dress (including hygiene), behave. You fill a classroom with kids from these kinds of situations, and why is it surprising that the classroom reflects the chaos that's these kids' lives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 02:12 AM

2,678 posts, read 1,701,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
He also was a second career teacher.

I guess you're criticizing his writing a book. Ok. But his story is likely repeated, with varying intensity of issues, by thousands of first and second year teachers every year.
Such strong opinions yet they overlook the bold without hesitation.

I def agree with the second part.

Old 01-18-2016, 02:15 AM

2,678 posts, read 1,701,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
"Progressive agendas" have nothing to do with it.
You do not realize this because you are not involved in education.
Oh the shenanigans.

One year of teaching explains a lot.

One year!

Old 01-18-2016, 03:01 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
One year of teaching then comes out with a book deal.... nice work if you can get it.

My year of terror and abuse teaching at a NYC high school | New York Post

It sounds like the teach taught high school ether at in the Bronx or Brooklyn. I can attest what this teacher went through. I remember my first year in publich high school here in the city. My first day I nearly saw a student get stabbed with a screw driver. In class I saw a 14 year old girl drop a condom in math class. There was a gay black English teacher, and the Jamaican students used to slander the gay teacher. The end of the month the gay teacher had left the school. A month later a drive by happened by the school entrance. This is when I realized that high school is gonna prepare folks for the eventual trip to Rikers Island, or a trip up the river.

I'm not sure what causes these problems in public high school in NYC. Some of the problems stem from broken homes, fatherless homes, foster homes, living in shelters, dual parents, but parents are never home to supervise their kids or assist them with homework, poor role models, follow the leader. The thing is that their are kids who want to learn, but its just a couple of kids that ruin it for the whole entire class which can bogs down the learning experience.

In short. I feel sorry for the teacher who had to go through what he is going through. NYC supposed to be the greatest city on "Earth", and no teacher should no go through what this man had endured. I can only assume that the NYC high school system in select neighborhoods has gotten worse and yet gentrification has not improved the cities educational system with suburban liberal white sentiments. I don't think socio economics is at the heart of this. If so than poor immigrant Asian, kids from India, China, Korea would run amok like poor African American, Dominican, Jamaicans and so forth in our public school system. Instead poor Asian kids study hard and enter into top public schools, even if they don't get in, they still try to do their best. I put blame on poor parenting. I wish the Soviet Union and Nazi Germany were still around. These regimes did a good job with social engineering parents and kids alike. Last, but also, the teacher should have prepared himself for what he was going to go through. Helping kids from broken homes from the greatest city on "earth" is no walk in the park!

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 01-18-2016 at 03:10 AM..

Old 01-18-2016, 03:14 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Do you have any historical examples of governments, say in the 1400s, providing free public education to its population? Why were the literacy rates so low until the 20th century?
Are we really comparing ourselves to a time when we were hunting, gathering and bartering?

Old 01-18-2016, 03:19 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
It sounds like the teach taught high school ether at in the Bronx or Brooklyn.
They assumed it was on the Lower East Side. Which could have a lot of kids from Brooklyn as well.

Old 01-18-2016, 03:56 AM

19,048 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Quote:
in U.S. history, the idea of public schools gained traction in the 19th century, and that was even limited.
I actually agree with you that security is the first concern of government, with education being second. In my opinion, government shouldn't do much else actually. But for the record, John Adams believed that free public education through primary school should have been a part of the Constitution.

Old 01-18-2016, 04:03 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I actually agree with you that security is the first concern of government, with education being second. In my opinion, government shouldn't do much else actually. But for the record, John Adams believed that free public education through primary school should have been a part of the Constitution.
I also agree. Sadly the US adopted British form of capitalism. In Britain and America, the kids work and toiled. Traditioanlly children had to work during the 19th century and not go to school. The unification of Germany under Bismarck changed all that where children had to attend compulsory school. Free education was also thought up doing post Napoleonic Europe amongst liberals.

Old 01-18-2016, 05:53 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
Read and comprehend the bio of John Adams. He viewed good and free education as a means rather than an end in itself. Adams was very good in explaining the reasons for his views that it's hard to miss it.

Old 01-18-2016, 07:08 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
Quote:
I went to school in west harlem.
I did not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: