Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 05:27 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,881,887 times

Advertisements

I would rent a small studio in lower Manhattan for under $2K (most likely a walk up apartment that is pre-war built). You can check out zillow for options. NYC daily living is very expensive (sale taxes is 8.875%). You should consider saving up money if you plan to live in NYC long term, even for someone making $200K+ it is not easy to save up $200-300K in pre-tax dollars for purchasing a 2 bedroom apartment in the city. I know people who still needed family support to buy their nice home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2016, 05:28 PM

988 posts, read 1,740,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PropositionJoe View Post
Oh wow. I guess I will avoid BPC. I suppose it would be much easier to commute to work if I lived in a western neighborhood, or even Jersey City. UES seems prohibitively far, with Murray Hill and East Village about on the cusp (half hour each way). I know West Village is notoriously expensive, so perhaps I'll try to room with someone there. I frankly don't care as much about the bar scene as a non-drinker, but certainly a neighborhood of young working professionals would be better.

Thanks!
You could also try Chelsea; that would leave you an easy commute and you'd still be in a good vibrant area (although it's known as predominantly a homosexual community, there are plenty of straight men, and women, who live there and plenty of bars/restaurants that cater to that scene; plus, you have easy access to West Village, Meatpacking, East Village, Flatiron, etc etc where you'll probably be hanging out after-hours, for the most part).

If you were going to go the NJ route, it's Hoboken all the way over Jersey City, no contest; nothing but young college grads who go out all the time (although it's primarily a bar drinking scene)

Old 01-17-2016, 05:40 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,881,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berniekosar19 View Post
If you were going to go the NJ route, it's Hoboken all the way over Jersey City, no contest; nothing but young college grads who go out all the time (although it's primarily a bar drinking scene)
Don't do it, as my co-worker use to say "when bringing a girl home with you, you don't want to give her so much time to rethink her decision to go home with you" (given the long commute). Bar scene in NJ can't compare to Manhattan.

Old 01-17-2016, 05:48 PM

988 posts, read 1,740,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
Don't do it, as my co-worker use to say "when bringing a girl home with you, you don't want to give her so much time to rethink her decision to go home with you" (given the long commute). Bar scene in NJ can't compare to Manhattan.

I agree with you but if OP is considering Jersey City, he would be better served being in Hoboken instead; it would be much more suitable for a young single than JC

Old 01-17-2016, 07:03 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,091 times
Don't do New Jersey. Just don't.

I found Hoboken simply awful and am only grateful I never lived there.

Old 01-17-2016, 07:38 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,615,922 times
I don't see why not West Village outside of it being pretty gay along the Christopher St corridor (not a bad thing, just maybe not what the OP wants). It's very posh and your salary can afford a lot of the advertised places if you so wish to have your budget be high. I made SoHo right on the TriBeCa border work when I was making just $65k. W4 St station is amazingly convenient too.

If you want the cheapest possible south of 59th st, I'd recommend the Lower East Side. I don't think I've ever lived so cheaply in my life outside of rent, and even then I'm $1600 rent stabilized which is pretty nice for a 3rd floor (two flights) walk up studio south of 59th st. J, Z would be your goto trains. My day today: $4 haircut, $1 sandwich, $1 coffee, $1 for 5 dumplings, and a $1 slice of pizza; haha.

For Brooklyn I don't know. Northern is where most hang out, but the commute isn't my favorite. Maybe live along the J, Z line, but not really lively like the L, but the L is a longer commute for you and the tunnel may be closed soon for an indefinite time. Brooklyn Heights, DUMBO, and south are nice but it's more family oriented which likely won't appeal to you. Much better architecture than northern Brooklyn though imo.

I'd also like to recommend uptown, but I have a feeling that's not your cup of tea. I loooooove north of 168th and might buy there myself in a few years, but the commute to Battery Park City isn't really under 30 mins unless you're on 125th or something. To Midtown though it's great!

Old 01-17-2016, 09:38 PM

1,510 posts, read 1,006,316 times
Congrats on the job. I would definitely avoid BPC. One of my audit clients are close by and I HATE having to deal with so many tourists and bumping into people all the time. I love the area tho because of the many travel options, plus it is a short walk from my office.

Old 01-18-2016, 01:47 PM

4 posts, read 3,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullandre View Post
Congrats on the job. I would definitely avoid BPC. One of my audit clients are close by and I HATE having to deal with so many tourists and bumping into people all the time. I love the area tho because of the many travel options, plus it is a short walk from my office.
Thanks! I think I'm gonna look in either the West or East Village for housing. While commute is the most important factor in deciding where to live, it isn't so bad from those neighborhoods, and they seem much more in tune with post-grad life.

Old 01-18-2016, 02:38 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PropositionJoe View Post
Thanks! I think I'm gonna look in either the West or East Village for housing. While commute is the most important factor in deciding where to live, it isn't so bad from those neighborhoods, and they seem much more in tune with post-grad life.
I disagree about the West Village ...

East Village is another story.

Old 01-20-2016, 12:37 PM

126 posts, read 214,171 times
You can live very comfortably in NYC! Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: