Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 06:21 PM

204 posts, read 291,768 times

Advertisements

I just moved to NYC (as in, I arrived today) and went to look at apartments this afternoon. I start work tomorrow (as does my fiancé) and we won't have a ton of time to spend looking (we have an airbnb for a few weeks, but those weeks will come and go quickly.)

Anyway, my fiancé and I found an apartment we liked on 84th between and 3rd... first off, is this a good location? Second, the apartment seems like a great deal - $2,325 for a 1/1 (a decent size one compared to some other ones I've seen.) It has a dishwasher, A/C in the living room, all new appliances, and a true bedroom to fit a queen size bed and furniture. The downside.... 5 flights of stairs... is that a deal breaker? The first time we went up it was fine, but then after seeing a few other walkups, and going back to look at this apartment again, my legs were killing me. I know on a regular basis I won't be coming and going multiple times, but how bad is it living on a high floor in a walk up?

We did put in an application and paid the $200 fee. I'm worried maybe we rushed into it, since we did only get here today. I know apartments go quickly, and I know I'm not going to get everything I want in an apartment... but I can't help but have that feeling of "what if there is something better?" Has anyone else felt this?

Apartments move fast here, so waiting for one that does meet my requirements is silly since I could easily lose it. I just worry, about everything lol and I want to make sure that we're making the right choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2016, 06:45 PM

988 posts, read 1,740,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu00 View Post
I just moved to NYC (as in, I arrived today) and went to look at apartments this afternoon. I start work tomorrow (as does my fiancé) and we won't have a ton of time to spend looking (we have an airbnb for a few weeks, but those weeks will come and go quickly.)

Anyway, my fiancé and I found an apartment we liked on 84th between and 3rd... first off, is this a good location? Second, the apartment seems like a great deal - $2,325 for a 1/1 (a decent size one compared to some other ones I've seen.) It has a dishwasher, A/C in the living room, all new appliances, and a true bedroom to fit a queen size bed and furniture. The downside.... 5 flights of stairs... is that a deal breaker? The first time we went up it was fine, but then after seeing a few other walkups, and going back to look at this apartment again, my legs were killing me. I know on a regular basis I won't be coming and going multiple times, but how bad is it living on a high floor in a walk up?

We did put in an application and paid the $200 fee. I'm worried maybe we rushed into it, since we did only get here today. I know apartments go quickly, and I know I'm not going to get everything I want in an apartment... but I can't help but have that feeling of "what if there is something better?" Has anyone else felt this?

Apartments move fast here, so waiting for one that does meet my requirements is silly since I could easily lose it. I just worry, about everything lol and I want to make sure that we're making the right choice.
I know exactly which unit you applied for. That's a great area: easy proximity to express subway and crosstown bus, grocery stores, bars, restaurants, etc etc Very safe; doesn't get much better for the UES

That unit has one of the better landlords in the city; as for the 5 flights, it's a cliche but you do get used to it.
Just look at it this way: you will save $$$ on a gym membership!

I can tell you for a fact there really isn't a much better deal right now for that price range, so you shouldn't feel renter's remorse. Anything on a lower floor is going to be more $$$. PM me if you have any further questions.

Old 01-17-2016, 06:51 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
Quote:

You will be fine with it. Your MOVERS might make a fu$$ hauling stuff up 5 flights. It's a nice area and you will soon have a subway on Second.
By Summer you will look great in a pair of Speedos.

Double check everything before you leave the apartment so you don't forget something and have to run back up the steps.

Have the lunch special at WOK 88 until 4PM. (Third Avenue one door up from 88th.)

Old 01-17-2016, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berniekosar19 View Post
I know exactly which unit you applied for. That's a great area: easy proximity to express subway and crosstown bus, grocery stores, bars, restaurants, etc etc Very safe; doesn't get much better for the UES

That unit has one of the better landlords in the city; as for the 5 flights, it's a cliche but you do get used to it.
Just look at it this way: you will save $$$ on a gym membership!

I can tell you for a fact there really isn't a much better deal right now for that price range, so you shouldn't feel renter's remorse. Anything on a lower floor is going to be more $$$. PM me if you have any further questions.

Thank you so much for this. And apparently it's a 5th floor unit, but up 4 (longggg) flights of stairs. In my head, 4 sounds better than 5, so I'll stick with that. It really is a nice apartment though and much larger than some of the areas we saw. I really would have everything I need right outside my apartment. I'll be working in Jamaica, so my commute will suck, but there was no way I was living out here. I'd rather live where I want and commute, and I love the UES. This really made me feel a lot better though.

Old 01-17-2016, 07:03 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,235,184 times
I'd go for it. From your previous posts it sounds like you will be happy in the area.
I once lived on a 5th floor walk up. I had the best *ss then as so I was told daily on street. Ha!
Let's us know if you get approved and take it.

Old 01-17-2016, 07:04 PM

988 posts, read 1,740,025 times
Quote:
Thank you so much for this. And apparently it's a 5th floor unit, but up 4 (longggg) flights of stairs. In my head, 4 sounds better than 5, so I'll stick with that. It really is a nice apartment though and much larger than some of the areas we saw. I really would have everything I need right outside my apartment. I'll be working in Jamaica, so my commute will suck, but there was no way I was living out here. I'd rather live where I want and commute, and I love the UES. This really made me feel a lot better though.
Yes, I remember your previous thread; glad your fiancee was able to line up employment.... It's a great apartment, great landlord, great location and you'd be hard-pressed to find a better price, especially for everything that apartment offers. And your commute shouldn't be too bad; take the 6 to 51st St, transfer to the E, pretty much a straight shot and probably around 45 mins or so. Not the worst commute in the world.

Old 01-17-2016, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
I'd go for it. From your previous posts it sounds like you will be happy in the area.
I once lived on a 5th floor walk up. I had the best *ss then as so I was told daily on street. Ha!
Let's us know if you get approved and take it.
It's our first apartment in NYC, so I know I have to make some sacrifices to stay in our budget. If it sucks, it's only for a year. I'm planning my wedding so hey, this can be great for that wedding diet to get in shape!

Old 01-17-2016, 08:10 PM

243 posts, read 310,063 times
OP,

Every broker in NYC will make it seem the apartment they're showing you is the last apartment in NYC. Which is not true because NYC has tons of empty apartments for rent. Not to mention, it's winter and moving season is from Spring to summer. It's dead in the winter time. Don't let them take advantage of you or let them use their intimidation tactics on you.

You should always ask the following questions:
1. Is it rent stablized?
2. How long is the lease?
3. How much is the broker fee? (1 months rent or 10% of the annual rent)
4. Has the building had a history of bed bugs?
5. If it did, run. Don't even bother even if they say they'll pay for the treatment.
6. Is there a live in super?
7. Who is managing the building? (If it's First Service Residential, I'd run as far as I can)

Also, try places in Queens that are 1 stop from Manhattan. You can find maybe even a 2 bedroom for under 2K. Try places like Astoria, Sunnyside or Long Island City. Those are all like 2 or 3 stops from Midtown Manhattan. You'll be to work in 15 mins and under. Good luck and don't let evil brokers take advantage of you.

Old 01-17-2016, 09:19 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,886,510 times
the downside to having a walk-up is some places, which you will see, charge you for bringing things up flights of stairs. just a great reason to always stick to buildings that have elevators

Old 01-18-2016, 07:48 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,091 times
Don't ask questions and expect to receive actual answers. And never ask questions about rent regulation status. Do that research once you move in.

Do building-specific research before you sign any leases. Go to the HPD web site and look at the violations for the building. Neighborhood-wise, find out who owns the buildings around. You can do that research on ACRIS. It is a matter of public record. Learn the names of the social service purveyors.

Go to the civil court dockets and look for cases filed by the management or against them.
HINT: Find the registered name of the owners on the HPD website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City