Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 08:44 PM

520 posts, read 844,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
What do you consider desolate? It's mostly residential apartment buildings, not much commercial. But it's a low crime neighborhood, and PS 117 had mostly good reviews on insideschools.org:

P.S. 117 J. Keld / Briarwood School - insideschools.org

Plus the F train stops there, your husband can take that into the city and transfer to the 6. If you guys still feel like you need some nightlife, or to go out to have dinner, head on over to Austin Street which is not too far away in Forest Hills. Need to do some retail shopping, head to Queens Center Mall or Jamaica Avenue.

I stayed in my neighborhood and bought because I knew what was in my budget and me and the wife know the lay of the land already, having grown up out here - she's a SAHM too.

What are you looking for in a neighborhood? We don't have much dining options where we're at, but we're more of the cooking type anyway so that doesn't bother us. We don't go to clubs or anything, we'd rather throw a house party with friends and family. Really analyze your lifestyle and see what's most important to you and hubby before deciding on any area; I suggested Briarwood because of the affordability for your situation and the low crime rate.

Also, why don't you look into some online work from home jobs to cut down on the debt too...
Do you live in Briarwood? I just remember going to Briarwood for apt hunting back in 2006, and there was pretty much nothing but buildings. I guess I'm comparing it to Kew Gardens. There is a small indie theater, fish market, supermarket, grocery stores, shoe repair shops, flower shops, etc, but the best thing about it was the beautiful park. We are no longer into clubs, and very rarely go out to restaurants, now that we have the little one. But Briarwood doesn't offer any of what I listed above, at least from what I remember, but maybe it's changed a bit. I would chose KG over Briarwood, but the latter is definitely more affordable. Thanks for the analysis though, definitely more practical. How does your wife like Briarwood, I would imagine she spend most of her time there with the kids, that area must be important to her beyond financial benefits.

You must have bought a while back. Everything reasonable half a million these days. Gotta get out of NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier Azure View Post
If she's complaining about a commute from Astoria to the Upper East 90's then I doubt Briarwood would be very satiating. How long is your husband's commute as it is now?
Oh, Astoria is fine commute wise, and it's not me who is complaining, my husband, who has a long commute, doesn't want to take the bus then the train and then another train. And I think it's very reasonable, since he wants to spend as much time as possible with our little boy. Obviously it doesn't matter to me since I won't be taking the subway. His commute is about 45 minutes.

Old 01-21-2016, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
omg, directing all these couples with kids with big city fetishes to cheaper neighborhoods is essentially KILLING NYC. Does no one else see this!?
That comes off rather venomous. What's your hissy-fit about? I don't even know what you mean. Relax yourself and don't be so obviously bitter.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:03 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,855,209 times
Sorry, i'm just bitter that NYC used to be an amazing place for single people without kids to live and has turned into a place where it's impossible to find a place because everyone is cramming their crotchfruit into 1 bedrooms and studios and turning it into a sanitized Disneyland with rules and regulations that are akin to Romper Room. It's gross and doesn't fit with what I consider NYC. Granted, maybe my viewpoint is very old and people like me should move to the burbs with the rest of the poors so the rest of the family-friendly people from the entire world can move here :/ BARF

Did I say barf?

BARF

Old 01-21-2016, 09:34 PM

912 posts, read 1,131,917 times
Quote:
Sorry, i'm just bitter that NYC used to be an amazing place for single people without kids to live and has turned into a place where it's impossible to find a place because everyone is cramming their crotchfruit into 1 bedrooms and studios and turning it into a sanitized Disneyland with rules and regulations that are akin to Romper Room. It's gross and doesn't fit with what I consider NYC. Granted, maybe my viewpoint is very old and people like me should move to the burbs with the rest of the poors so the rest of the family-friendly people from the entire world can move here :/ BARF

Did I say barf?

BARF
What a ridiculous comment. Families have always been a apart of NYC. In fact, most of Queens and Brooklyn, consisted primarily of families. Especially queens. On top of being bitter, you're delusional.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:48 PM

Yes, families have always been a part of those areas. AS BACKGROUND noise. Hells, I was born in Jersey City, just as ghetto and gross with families as some of the more disgusting parts of NYC... But now they are loud, obnoxious, and entitled... Rich, disgusting, and privileged. Don't like having to experience the Disney Land Suburbia Mayverry version of NYC. We all have our opinions and I truly weep for myself as I am now part of the loser half that big cities want to get rid of just so they can cater to baby barf tables. It's also very popular to try to shut people up with my opinion, but some of us won't back down.

It's sad when cultural hubs get hijacked by the baby brigade, and I will ALWAYS weep over that, no matter how unpopular the sentiment is.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:49 PM

Quote:

Did I say barf?

BARF
There are so many wrong things with your post, and barf is right. I don't know what you're referring to, because the only people who are turning NYC into a sanitized Disneyland are hipsters from other states who are coming here, having fun and then moving on to other pastures. I went to school with kids in FH, then Bayside, and was friends with those who went to the three specialized nyc schools.

NYC was a kind of a place where kids grew up, felt safe to take the subway to schools, visit museums and hang out in Manhattan and outer boroughs, and it was great for parents who felt like they have a variety of residences to chose from. This is no longer the case, because of an overload of pretentious singles who want to live the glamorous life of NYC thus moving into 2 br apts, which they share with their equally pretentious roommates, making it more difficult for couples with "crotchfruit" to settle in more suitable places which they intend to reside in for longer than "fun couple of years of their life in NYC." It was a place where working class, middle class and upperclass coexisted comfortably. Not sure what NYC you were part of, but it seems to be a very limited one. Perhaps you weren't fortunate in having a family, but that doesn't mean that everyone should be subjected to your skewed views of a vast and diverse city. Even when I was in my early twenties, and didn't want children, I didn't make such acidic statements.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Yes, families have always been a part of those areas. AS BACKGROUND noise. Hells, I was born in Jersey City, just as ghetto and gross with families as some of the more disgusting parts of NYC... But now they are loud, obnoxious, and entitled... Rich, disgusting, and privileged. Don't like having to experience the Disney Land Suburbia Mayverry version of NYC. We all have our opinions and I truly weep for myself as I am now part of the loser half that big cities want to get rid of just so they can cater to baby barf tables. It's also very popular to try to shut people up with my opinion, but some of us won't back down.

It's sad when cultural hubs get hijacked by the baby brigade, and I will ALWAYS weep over that, no matter how unpopular the sentiment is.
Oh gawd.... "I truly weep for myself as I am now part of the loser half that big cities want to get rid," melodramatic much? Now if that's not entitled...

Same can be said of families which are struggling to provide an adequate life for their children in NYC. Many of them are forced to move out of NYC to manage, to make room for the galavanting young adventurers who are trying to "experience the city." In the past families were able to live in larger apartments, buy houses and save money for college. Now everything is less attainable.

You are so bitter that you decided to read the thread and then spew some venomous statement without anything constructive to contribute. How about your weep over that?

Old 01-21-2016, 10:04 PM

totally agree with you, enjoyed reading this post. One shouldn't go around saying they are weeping for something as fart sniffy as that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entangled View Post
Oh gawd.... "I truly weep for myself as I am now part of the loser half that big cities want to get rid," melodramatic much? Now if that's not entitled...

Same can be said of families which are struggling to provide an adequate life for their children in NYC. Many of them are forced to move out of NYC to manage, to make room for the galavanting young adventurers who are trying to "experience the city." In the past families were able to live in larger apartments, buy houses and save money for college. Now everything is less attainable.

You are so bitter that you decided to read the thread and then spew some venomous statement without anything constructive to contribute. How about your weep over that?

Old 01-22-2016, 06:48 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
I'd search Rego Park for a 2 bedroom and I'd cut down on the baby clutter. Kid's don't need a mountain of junk that most parents bury them under.

I could not stand 480 square feet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City