Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 07:59 PM

31,907 posts, read 26,970,741 times

Advertisements

This is the second or third death I've heard about after the snow storm caused by persons sitting in vehicles with motors running. Same thing happened to a New Jersey mother and her infant child.

Brooklyn man missing during storm found dead in car - NY Daily News

Maybe it is me but was taught ages ago and from a young age to never sit in a parked car that has been covered in snow unless the exhaust pipe area was clear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 04:45 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
Very sad but I think now there will be more awareness of possibility of snow blocking a car's tailpipe (and the possible deadly consequences).

Old 01-28-2016, 06:23 AM

18,469 posts, read 31,635,068 times
Maybe there should be an announcement or a headline on a national newspaper about this, because it seems there are a lot of stupid people out here in this world.

It is the year 2015, do we not know this already?????

"Carbon Monoxide Poisoning" kills.

what part doesn't anyone get?

we hear this year after year during snow storms, this should not happen.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:35 AM

653 posts, read 783,076 times
These stories are all so sad... It is obvious that not everyone is aware of the danger of sitting in a car while it warms up with a blocked tail pipe. Hopefully these cases will raise awareness in everyone. God bless the people who perished and those they left behind... Terrible way to lose a loved one.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:52 AM

4,198 posts, read 4,084,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Very sad but I think now there will be more awareness of possibility of snow blocking a car's tailpipe (and the possible deadly consequences).
If the family's account is accurate, a snow plow came by and plowed his car in and trapped him inside. The tail pipe might have been clear when he got in his car. Maybe he couldn't get out and didn't have a phone with him. If indeed a truck plowed him in while he was in his vehicle that's borderline criminal negligence by the driver. I think some plow drivers intentionally plow cars in if they think the car is making their job more difficult.

Old 01-28-2016, 07:33 AM

412 posts, read 451,591 times
I posted this in the other thread but it is worth mentioning again.

The tailpipe does not have to be blocked. All it takes are conditions that cause the exhaust gasses to pool around the vehicle. Snow on all four sides would do that. So will still air and certain light wind/adjacent vertical surface conditions.

Carbon monoxide is deadly. Everyone needs to be educated about it.

Old 01-28-2016, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
If the family's account is accurate, a snow plow came by and plowed his car in and trapped him inside. The tail pipe might have been clear when he got in his car. Maybe he couldn't get out and didn't have a phone with him. If indeed a truck plowed him in while he was in his vehicle that's borderline criminal negligence by the driver. I think some plow drivers intentionally plow cars in if they think the car is making their job more difficult.
Plowing or blowing snow is a difficult job made harder if there no clear place to push or blow the stuff. Plow operators may not be able to avoid reblocking cars or driveways. The pace of clearing snow would certainly be much, much slower if operators had to avoid blocking as a firm policy.

This is actually a political issue and should be addressed as such.

Old 01-28-2016, 08:05 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,223,380 times
Quote:
So he couldn't roll down the windows to get out or at least get fresh air?

Your theory doesn't make sense.

Old 01-28-2016, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
So he couldn't roll down the windows to get out or at least get fresh air?

Your theory doesn't make sense.
Carbon monoxide is odorless and tasteless. It will affect your thinking before it kills you.

It may also pool high enough that having the windows open won't help.

Old 01-28-2016, 08:22 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,356,199 times
Quote:
The family hadn't seen him for a long time so they couldn't possibly know exactly what happened. If he was trapped, he could have opened the window, called someone, yelled to someone on the street, etc.

I'm pretty sure they showed a picture of the car, which to me looked like he had only shoveled the snow away from the driver's side door and then he supposedly went inside to charge his phone. The rest of the car was still completely surrounded by snow. If that silver car is his in the article, then there's no way he shoveled out from around the car and all of the snow was plowed back onto it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: