Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 06:24 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,378,540 times

Advertisements

I'm curious to hear what you consider the boundaries for both to be, as there seems to be some discrepancy as to whether Alphabet City is part of the East Village or the Lower East Side.

Most sources seem to list Alphabet City as being part of the East Village, but I've heard a couple people in real life as well as some people on this board refer to it as being the Lower East Side, plus Avenue C is nicknamed Loisaida Avenue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 06:32 PM

5,720 posts, read 19,982,107 times
My wife is from Alphabet City. Everyone down there say that they are from the Lower East Side. I'm down there multiple times a week, so I have a good feel for the area.

As for me, I think you could go either way. It could be part of the LES, or it could be the East Village, or it could be it's own neighborhood.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
My wife is from Alphabet City. Everyone down there say that they are from the Lower East Side. I'm down there multiple times a week, so I have a good feel for the area.

As for me, I think you could go either way. It could be part of the LES, or it could be the East Village, or it could be it's own neighborhood.
Are Avenue and and B more likely to be referred to by locals as being part of the East Village? I'm curious because a lot of businesses on Avenue A and B consider themselves as being in the East Village.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:36 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,879,353 times
Quote:

My opinion - it was always a part of the culture of the LES and understood that way.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Are Avenue and and B more likely to be referred to by locals as being part of the East Village? I'm curious because a lot of businesses on Avenue A and B consider themselves as being in the East Village.

By the park it is, really. Hard to explain.

A neighborhood like Soho is different because it always had these firm street designations.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
By the park it is, really. Hard to explain.

A neighborhood like Soho is different because it always had these firm street designations.
That makes sense

So you'd consider Avenue A and B north of say, East 6th Street to be the East Village with all of Avenue C and D being the Lower East Side?

Old 01-28-2016, 06:48 PM

31,588 posts, read 26,430,119 times
Quote:
I'm curious to hear what you consider the boundaries for both to be, as there seems to be some discrepancy as to whether Alphabet City is part of the East Village or the Lower East Side.

Most sources seem to list Alphabet City as being part of the East Village, but I've heard a couple people in real life as well as some people on this board refer to it as being the Lower East Side, plus Avenue C is nicknamed Loisaida Avenue.
Alphabet City as referring to A, B, C, Avenues in the East Village is a relative new name for that area. You didn't hear it until really the 1980's with the whole "Punk" and alternative scene craze that swept the area then. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alphabet_City,_Manhattan

The name got more push from real estate and other interests recently since that area of East Village has gone from crime/drug infested area to gentrified infested with transplants, hipsters, Bros and
Sorostitutes.

Gentrification strikes Alphabet City | New York Post

Lower East Side historically referred to really the entire area from 14th Street going south until you reached around Pike Street. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lower_East_Side

Over the years the area above East Houston was divided and called the "East Village" . This follows something similar as across town on the west side where you have "Greenwich Village" carved out of the West Village or simply "the Village" area.

Yes, depending upon who you speak to Alphabet City, Lower East Side, East Village will be called differently. Persons who are of a certain age that grew up in those areas and or have established ties going back decades probably will refer to a particular area by a different name than someone who has recently arrived.

As with most everything else in NYC it often comes down to real estate and money. East Village sounds much better and has less negative connotations than "the Lower East Side" for some people.

Old 01-28-2016, 07:06 PM

Quote:
That makes sense

So you'd consider Avenue A and B north of say, East 6th Street to be the East Village with all of Avenue C and D being the Lower East Side?
To me, C and D are definitely LES.
As for A and B ... I think the culture moved east a bit over time - just my opinion.

Old 01-28-2016, 07:49 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,591,700 times
Living here and around for 5.5 years, Houston splits the East Vilage and Alphabet City from each other, but Ave A and somewhat between 1st and A split Alphabet City and East Village. It has a different feel that's hard to really explain, but when I'm in Alphabet City, I feel like I'm in Alphabet City.

It's all technically the Lower East Side though if we go by historic definitions.

Old 01-28-2016, 08:39 PM

33,352 posts, read 46,774,611 times
Quote:

U married boy? Why u aint tell nobody? Congrats my G

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City