Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 08:44 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,883,251 times

Advertisements

Here's a fun fact: The median income for an entire household in NYC is only around $54k. SO if you make more than that and you're still whining about struggling then you seriously need to reevaluate your spending ESPECIALLY if you have no kids:
Median Income | NYC Neighborhoods | WNYC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2016, 11:52 PM

650 posts, read 1,805,558 times
haha this is funny because you sound like me when I was 28. I was also making 65k at 28 and felt like I worked a lot more hours than most people who earned more. I also started my first job at 40k like yourself, but got stuck at 65k because of the 2008 recession.

I'm 32 now and almost doubled my salary from when I was 28. The one thing I learned was you cannot be too loyal to a company. They might treat you well, but it's a business after all. You will make more money if you hop around while the economy is good (now). If you stay too long out of loyalty, you might miss out on the economic boom of other jobs, and end up stuck with your same salary in a recession until the next boom comes along. And if your new job doesn't give you a raise or reasonable bonus within the first year, you should start looking.

Old 02-02-2016, 12:37 AM

205 posts, read 245,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
Here's a fun fact: The median income for an entire household in NYC is only around $54k. SO if you make more than that and you're still whining about struggling then you seriously need to reevaluate your spending ESPECIALLY if you have no kids:
Median Income | NYC Neighborhoods | WNYC

That fun fact right there shows one thing is that public housing/ Low income housing needs to be abolished. No room for scrubs that cant pay what they weight, If you want a piece of the big apple you need to pay up.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 02-12-2016 at 07:53 AM..

Old 02-02-2016, 02:28 AM

1,739 posts, read 2,555,526 times
Only you can really answer as to whether you are being paid what you are worth for your time, skills, education, and experience. You actually made me think of my Uncle Jack, my godfather who lives up in Nashua, who was a day trader for years on Wall Street and is now retired. He was an expert negotiator. He'd do exactly what Nudetypist is suggesting. He'd go into firm after firm during the good years and insist on a higher salary. He made a side career out of it. It eventually made him modestly wealthy. You have to believe in your own worth. Ditch the long commute. Then put the time in, and fight for what you are worth if you believe it to be right. I think you do or you wouldn't be posting here. It takes work... blood, sweat and tears. That's the only way. Think of the time you waste every day on that commute... the money aside... that could be spent with prospective employers willing to pay you more.

Old 02-02-2016, 06:41 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,709,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudetypist View Post
haha this is funny because you sound like me when I was 28. I was also making 65k at 28 and felt like I worked a lot more hours than most people who earned more. I also started my first job at 40k like yourself, but got stuck at 65k because of the 2008 recession.

I'm 32 now and almost doubled my salary from when I was 28. The one thing I learned was you cannot be too loyal to a company. They might treat you well, but it's a business after all. You will make more money if you hop around while the economy is good (now). If you stay too long out of loyalty, you might miss out on the economic boom of other jobs, and end up stuck with your same salary in a recession until the next boom comes along. And if your new job doesn't give you a raise or reasonable bonus within the first year, you should start looking.
my job is in banking. this year i got NO bonus and NO raise. so in theory, i am working for less money this year when you factor in inflation/rising costs.

i have NO incentive to stay and i have one foot fully out the door. it should be interesting trying to take off multiple days for interviews.

LOL.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:14 AM

2 posts, read 2,439 times
Hey there, I am 29 too. I think if you are asking yourself this question then that means you need to fight harder for what you deserve! If you feel you are being underpayed, then speak up or start looking for another job, and if you get a higher offer, go to your current employer and show them that. I totally get the envy of feeling underpaid. If it helps you feel any better, it is my dream to live in NYC some day again, and make enough money to not live like a pauper. I hope you know how many people in the world would do anything to be in your position! When I go to other parts of the world NYC is like the number 1 city on anyone's dream city... But don't let that make you complacent, like I said, fight for you what you feel you deserve! It is not healthy to live with doubts/regrets/and most of all not feeling appreciated! If you are a woman, also, that means you will need to fight that much harder. You sound like a strong person, do it!

Old 02-02-2016, 07:26 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,147,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namogel View Post
First of all, I live on Long Island (on suffolk/nassau border) and commute to downtown Manhattan every day. So my commute is about 450 a month if I don't take any days off (hence no subway). As the topic title says I recently accepted a new job that was 65K, but I was making 52K working at the same company for the past 18 months; however, in my previous position, I didn't need to take a subway and I was able to work from home at least once a week. Plus I was non-exempt but it would only be at most a few thousand every year, but now I can't really get any extra hours....Overall, I get if you just look at dollars, I'm still getting a lot more at this new position even if my costs from commute are a little higher, but I'm working about 9-10 extra hours per week plus I have about ~30 minutes of commute total per day.

I think this new position is a good next-step in my career (banking) which is one of the reasons I took it, but just hanging out with a lot of my peers, the ones with comparable experience get paid a lot more and the ones that make around the same don't work the same hours I do. My only real credentials are an undergraduate degree and an in-progress MBA that my company is currently helping me pay for.

I started with this company at 23 with a 40,000 salary so I've gone a long way since then, but some part of me just thinks I can be doing a lot better. I'm very thankful to have this job, but based on what I've researched about average NYC salaries, it still seems kind of low and I guess I'm just getting envious of my peers
65k base is fine, in banking you will get bonus money and LTI, you will be making over 100K in around three years.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:27 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,709,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightfulNYC View Post
65k base is fine, in banking you will get bonus money and LTI, you will be making over 100K in around three years.
no, not always.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:38 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,147,624 times
BTW "kids" always complain about upward mobility. How is that your bosses problem. For instance one staff person at year end around 30 was badgering me about promotions, moving up etc.

I am five levels above her. Took me till 44 years of age to get to that level. Now I am in hang in mode.

Honestly to get five promotions in 15 years she needs to do job hopping, go to school at night get an MBA, go join trade groups, speak at conferences, become a thought leader, gain a niche at work that is replaceable.

But she likes and does a good job, she volunteers at charity, takes vacations, is not really a morning person so gets to work around 8:45 am when her boss is earlier. Does not show a huge interest in her vocation. Meaning, back when I worked on Wall Street in my early 20s. You were thought get in early, always had read the WSJ, walk in with a copy under arm, suit pressed, shirt pressed, crisp tie, even if a mailroom boy.

We hang out in Bars frequently by Wall street folks, watch nightly business report, go for MBAs in Finance at night, heck our friends mainly worked on the "street". We networked, studied, you name it.

Back to the girl, even stuff we were thought she has that 20 something bug. For instance, I love football, her direct boss loves football. Heck even CEO likes football, this girl does not own a TV or watch football ever. I actually put in her YE review to stay current on events for sr. meetings. Even told her to watch superbowl. Guess what she does not, go to a sr. mgt meeting the day after, of course game comes up and she clams up. I go what happened, of course she did not watch the game. I then say on your 45 minute commute you could not even go on-line and read a five minute review of game highlights. She goes I dont follow football.

This drives me nuts.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:41 AM

2,043 posts, read 2,888,805 times
I'm 40. As someone else mentioned: It is a waste of time to compare yourself to your friends. Focus on you and your goals, and the opportunities will come. I would also advise you not to worry too much about money (I mean, unless you can't eat or something), but I know that it is more important to some people than others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City