Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 10:15 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,902,751 times

Advertisements

If I recall correctly, the 7 line extension was also built under the same premise of increased property taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 10:30 AM

1,998 posts, read 1,881,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post
If I recall correctly, the 7 line extension was also built under the same premise of increased property taxes.
There is over $20 billion going in developing the Hudson yard. It going to take a while before it is completed. NYC population continues to increase every year people are going to keep coming and it best to be proactive in building housing and commerce otherwise more people will continue to get displaced.

Old 04-27-2016, 01:18 PM

6,680 posts, read 6,022,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
It is not a big assumption at all. The majority of the waterfront is under developed land that was previously zones as industrial. Developers have been buying the land and will build new construction around the streetcar line. Affluent people don't like riding dirty buses and this locations are a good half to a full mile away from any subway stop. If you want to increase the value of the area you need better infrastructure. Developers want to sell and rent the properties at top dollar and government wants to tax the area at top dollar so it is mutual beneficial to everyone in the area.

And what's to say that only affluent people will be riding these trams? The rest of us dirty common po' folks may also be interested!

Old 04-27-2016, 01:26 PM

391 posts, read 285,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post
The real question is if the property values will increase because of the streetcar of just because the neighborhoods are getting better.
The streetcar might make the neighborhoods more attractive.

Old 04-27-2016, 02:51 PM

436 posts, read 564,791 times
The neighborhoods in question are already quite attractive. Other areas have more pressing transportation needs.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:32 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier Azure View Post
The neighborhoods in question are already quite attractive. Other areas have more pressing transportation needs.
And they will be more attractive with the streetcar line. Building the streetcar line doesn't mean that other areas aren't getting new transportation options. Penn Station Access will build 4 new Metro North stations in the Bronx on a line that goes directly into Penn Station, and one new station on 125th and the west side of Manhattan, and one on 72nd Street.

MTA is doing rail activation studies in Staten Island and in Queens (Rockaway Beach LIRR reactivation).

Old 04-27-2016, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
And they will be more attractive with the streetcar line. Building the streetcar line doesn't mean that other areas aren't getting new transportation options. Penn Station Access will build 4 new Metro North stations in the Bronx on a line that goes directly into Penn Station, and one new station on 125th and the west side of Manhattan, and one on 72nd Street.

MTA is doing rail activation studies in Staten Island and in Queens (Rockaway Beach LIRR reactivation).
But it's $2.5 billion that can be spent on something more worthy where you get more bang for the buck.

Old 04-27-2016, 06:07 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier Azure View Post
I agree. The only thing I'd write to counter is that the price-tag of a project like this isn't so outrageous that we won't see this being expanded to such areas. But I feel like a strong "pilot" along a route that already has much of the infrastructure set up (i.e. "abandoned" rail tracks) will make getting this project expanded to other needier areas more likely.

Old 04-27-2016, 06:17 PM

By the way, there was a related study a few years back that the NYC DOT and their consultant performed. Their conclusion? A streetcar in Red Hook would not be feasible and cost too much for the few additional transit riders it would generate. Granted, I haven't done a side by side comparison of the two proposals yet, but it does seem a bit odd.

Old 04-27-2016, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I agree. The only thing I'd write to counter is that the price-tag of a project like this isn't so outrageous that we won't see this being expanded to such areas. But I feel like a strong "pilot" along a route that already has much of the infrastructure set up (i.e. "abandoned" rail tracks) will make getting this project expanded to other needier areas more likely.
The rails are a tiny fraction of the overall cost. Theres the rolling stock, the power, signals and utility relocation. Everything that's underneath these tracks have to be relocated so they can be accessible for maintenance down the road without ripping up the streetcar line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City