Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2016, 12:33 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,811,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiep83 View Post
it amazes me how many black people continue to blame the white man for their troubles instead of looking in the mirror.

At what point does one take responsibility for their actions? How much longer are some people going to play the race card? 200 more years? 300?
Are you sure there are no white people who don't blame others for all that goes wrong in their lives? Immigrants, the government, their parents, etc. And there are homeless white people as well, so it's not like everyone white has a perfect life. Ditto for people of other races.

Why do you only see lack of responsibility in Black people?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Book smart doesn't equal street smart. I know many people that have multiple degrees that are social outcasts and can't fit into a work environment. They probably can, just not the jobs they keep failing at.
I think people pick out scenarios like this because they feel inferior to the well educated person. Btw someone is Ivy League not necessarily because they are "book smart" (that sounds like something an illiterate person would say), but because SOMEONE PAID a lot of MONEY for that very expensive education.

Old 02-05-2016, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious WannaBe Drone View Post
I know many people with multiple degrees who appreciate that they are "different" because they are free from constantly chasing power, success, status, and money that goes nowhere like a dog going round and round chasing its tail. People who live to "fit in" are some of the most unhappy, dissatisfied people I know.
Good points. Though the people with multiple degrees clearly had the resources to get those degrees, and also have the resources and the ability not to care about what much of the working class population thinks.

Old 02-05-2016, 12:53 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,544,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiep83 View Post
it amazes me how many black people continue to blame the white man for their troubles instead of looking in the mirror.

At what point does one take responsibility for their actions? How much longer are some people going to play the race card? 200 more years? 300?
Honestly we're still not that far removed from the days of segregation and separate but equal. It lingers in the air still.

This guy on the youtube video is probably around 30-35 years old. He never directly experienced it but you can be sure his father and most certainly his grandfather did...people who were (or are) still alive to tell about it while he was growing up and shaping his views about the world. Right now you have a whole generation of grown up men just like him working their way through civilization. Huge chip on their shoulder...think the world owes them something for past wrongs. If life was fair and just maybe it would owe then something, but, I think you know where I'm going with that one. At some point you have to get over it and make your lemonade, but it could take another 100 years and several generations, sure. They think the "crackers" are holding them down but that is nonsense. Really it's the top 1% elites that have all the money and call all the shots to suit their own craven selves that make life hell for everybody, but that concept is lost on people like this guy.

Old 02-05-2016, 12:53 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,880,121 times
Quote:
[QUOTE
Downtown ? ugh.

Perhaps a function of differing lifestyles. We meet different people. I meet lots of privileged bores.
I think privileged people can be so much interesting than corporate drones. They have the luxury of free time to read, reflect, do things they're passionate about.[/quote]

We might be understanding "privileged" differently. Most of the corporate drones come from privileged backgrounds. They are essentially overachievers - who are never interesting.

I think I am saying, I agree.

Old 02-05-2016, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Honestly we're still not that far removed from the days of segregation and separate but equal. It lingers in the air still.

This guy on the youtube video is probably around 30-35 years old. He never directly experienced it but you can be sure his father and most certainly his grandfather did...people who were (or are) still alive to tell about it while he was growing up and shaping his views about the world. Right now you have a whole generation of grown up men just like him working their way through civilization. Huge chip of their shoulder...think the world owes them something for past wrongs. If life was fair and just maybe it would owe then something, but, I think you know where I'm going with that one. At some point you have to get over it and make your lemonade, but it could take another 100 years and several generations, sure.

Many people are currently disenfranchised and they see this as a continuation. Which in many ways it is.
It's all about cash now though.

Old 02-05-2016, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Many people who attended ivy league have loads of student loans. Not everyone who attends ivy league come from the moneyed class.
Exactly. Nor is it true that wealthy people are afforded this "ability" - in fact, better identified as a sheer eclipse of ethics or decent character - to not care about lower-income people. Preposterous statement but what can be expected there.

Old 02-05-2016, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Many people who attended ivy league have loads of student loans. Not everyone who attends ivy league come from the moneyed class.
Disproportionately many of the people in the Ivy League are paying in cash. Those wealthy families endow Ivy League universities.

Disproportionately they get better paying jobs to post graduation, especially those who have graduate level degrees from these schools.

Old 02-05-2016, 01:58 PM

Quote:

They may be privileged in the sense that they have degrees. It used to surprise me how characterless and uninteresting those with degrees from ivy league schools can be. Then I learned that these ivy league schools are nothing more than factories that produce these corporate drones, political leaders, industry leaders, financial leaders, etc. to perpetuate the current exploitative political/economic system that is designed to keep the current elite in power. Precisely why they are drones, their training in these ivy league was not designed to make them think too much. Essentially they are being used by those in power without them knowing it.
It's not all of the ivies, though. A few are better than others.

There is a lot of discussion about this in education now, training vs. actual education - the latter leading to thinking and, presumably (hopefully ?), ethical and socially responsible decision making.

Old 02-05-2016, 02:42 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,238,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildingsR'Us View Post
I just thought it was worthy to see this kind of encounterment. (I didn't film the video but seeing one's fustration towards Gentrification is interesting). The uneducated are being priced out of urban cities across the United States and there's nothing they can do about it.

http://youtu.be/uOOkrtpeMkc

all she got was a faceful of spit particles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City