Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 05:17 PM

93 posts, read 129,325 times

Advertisements

I just thought it was worthy to see this kind of encounterment. (I didn't film the video but seeing one's fustration towards Gentrification is interesting). The uneducated are being priced out of urban cities across the United States and there's nothing they can do about it.

http://youtu.be/uOOkrtpeMkc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 05:22 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times
this idiotic style of rambling isn't going to do jack in slowing down the negative effects of gentrification[/u]

Old 02-04-2016, 05:43 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildingsR'Us View Post
I just thought it was worthy to see this kind of encounterment. (I didn't film the video but seeing one's fustration towards Gentrification is interesting). The uneducated are being priced out of urban cities across the United States and there's nothing they can do about it.

http://youtu.be/uOOkrtpeMkc
News flash - it's not just the uneducated.

In fact, I would argue that most of the transplants coming here for banking internships, clutching parental money, of course, are completely uneducated in anything that matters.

Unchecked real estate profiteering has made New York far less competitive because access to cash for which you yourself did absolutely nothing is currently the biggest determinant.

I resent this because I dislike living or even being around them. I do not find them interesting. I refuse to move back downtown, to the place where I lived most of my life, for that reason.

Old 02-04-2016, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
this idiotic style of rambling isn't going to do jack in slowing down the negative effects of gentrification[/u]
This reminds of a story, a long time ago, I was maybe a teenager. There were a bunch of vegetarianism advocates protesting outside McDonald's on Broadway, punk kids. My mother said, you know, people should consider dressing and behaving like those people they would attempt to reach. It was a good point.

Old 02-04-2016, 06:25 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,214,988 times
This eloquently stated quote by this fine gentleman pretty much sums up my views on life:

Quote:
Pathmark closed my n1gga. You either sink or you swim......you either hustle or you don't. It's food....It's food. There's food out here. You understand? C'mon man...

Old 02-04-2016, 06:37 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
News flash - it's not just the uneducated.

In fact, I would argue that most of the transplants coming here for banking internships, clutching parental money, of course, are completely uneducated in anything that matters.

Unchecked real estate profiteering has made New York far less competitive because access to cash for which you yourself did absolutely nothing is currently the biggest determinant.

I resent this because I dislike living or even being around them. I do not find them interesting. I refuse to move back downtown, to the place where I lived most of my life, for that reason.
There are plenty who move here with parental support but also plenty more who don't. Most transplants do not come here with/for great jobs. They come here in search of opportunities and to escape their boring native habitats.

What's the difference between them and those lifelong NY'ers who live in rent controlled/section 8 apartments? If they had to pay 75% of market rate, would they still be able to live in NYC? Aren't they living on someone else's dime as well?

How about NY'ers who inherited houses or apartments from their parents/grandparents? There are PLENTY like that and without that they wouldn't be able to afford NYC either.

I'm not in love with transplants just like any native NY'er but you have to give most of them props. They take a chance and come to NYC in search of opportunities. Can't **** on them for that.

Old 02-04-2016, 06:52 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times
Quote:
This reminds of a story, a long time ago, I was maybe a teenager. There were a bunch of vegetarianism advocates protesting outside McDonald's on Broadway, punk kids. My mother said, you know, people should consider dressing and behaving like those people they would attempt to reach. It was a good point.
Yeah that is a good point, people are more likely to listen to those who they deem to be similar to themselves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
There are plenty who move here with parental support but also plenty more who don't. Most transplants do not come here with/for great jobs. They come here in search of opportunities and to escape their boring native habitats.

What's the difference between them and those lifelong NY'ers who live in rent controlled/section 8 apartments? If they had to pay 75% of market rate, would they still be able to live in NYC? Aren't they living on someone else's dime as well?

How about NY'ers who inherited houses or apartments from their parents/grandparents? There are PLENTY like that and without that they wouldn't be able to afford NYC either.

I'm not in love with transplants just like any native NY'er but you have to give most of them props. They take a chance and come to NYC in search of opportunities. Can't **** on them for that.
I usually don't see eye to eye with you, but you bring up a good point

I would also argue that the majority of transplants blend in better than the general consensus implies

Last edited by l1995; 02-04-2016 at 07:36 PM..

Old 02-04-2016, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post

There were once many interesting people who came here - I encounter quite few these days.
Downtown ? ugh.

Perhaps a function of differing lifestyles. We meet different people. I meet lots of privileged bores.

Old 02-04-2016, 07:40 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,750,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
This eloquently stated quote by this fine gentleman pretty much sums up my views on life:
Word...

Old 02-04-2016, 09:08 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,881,887 times
Quote:
There were once many interesting people who came here - I encounter quite few these days.
Downtown ? ugh.

Perhaps a function of differing lifestyles. We meet different people. I meet lots of privileged bores.
Go move to Detroit. All the poor people you love without any of the transplants you dislike. NYC would be another Detroit (bankrupt) if it wasn't for Wall Street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City