Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 11:52 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,276,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
That's precisely where I'm talking about. 5-6 years ago I would have put Williamsbridge up there, but not any more. It's not as bad as that Concourse area.
Up to 165th is fine though, as long as you stay on the Concourse because some buildings are co-ops and you have the courts right there. The side streets, if you are street smart and don't use them late at night... You'll be fine, but there is still "things" happening for sure.

Williamsbridge is kind of like Melrose... Melrose is sort of in transition, but it still has quality of life issues and definitely crime, though Melrose is a tad safer, but shoot outs still happen. That's why Williamsbridge is on my list. It is not going through any gentrification and the housing stock in run down as it is too far north to gentrify, but is receiving people pushed out from elsewhere in the Bronx, etc. Melrose would've been on my list a few years ago, but it has become a bit more working class with the Section 8 types thrown in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 11:53 AM

8,329 posts, read 4,370,041 times
Okay, this is not strictly the subject of the thread, but I think it would be useful to the same people that are interested in the actual subject of this thread: what CHEAP areas of the Bronx are the safest (yes, Riverdale is the safest, but not cheap)? My question is not about "nice" areas, or areas with "amenities" - it is strictly about safety. Where else (except for Parkchester) can you buy a 2-bedroom condo for $220k, and still stay reliably safe?

Old 08-13-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan2queens View Post
It’s very clear that you believe gentrification means safe , Mott haven is still very high in violent crime and has bad addiction in the area , recent articles say there was needles all over brook avenue and other streets and it’s a problem . But I admire your optimism, look at Mott haven as luxury if you want just because of new real estate
He's probably thinking of the area of Mott Haven away from the subway by the Bruckner. There are definitely some changes happening. The prices are skyrocketing because of its proximity to Manhattan, and quite frankly, you could live in Mott Haven and avoid the worst parts of it if you use Uber or drive. What I see happening there are small parts of Mott Haven being carved out for those who want more space and amenities and can't get them in Manhattan. You can have a brand new apartment, doorman, laundry in the apartment and all of that, so that you don't have to venture... You do that and let the area keep improving, though some of Mott Haven will still be what it is because of the massive amounts of projects.

Last edited by pierrepont7731; 08-13-2019 at 12:31 PM..

Old 08-13-2019, 12:05 PM

7,903 posts, read 7,873,496 times
Mott Haven
Melrose
Highbridge
Soundview
West Farms

these are my picks

Old 08-13-2019, 12:06 PM

7,903 posts, read 7,873,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan2queens View Post
It’s very clear that you believe gentrification means safe , Mott haven is still very high in violent crime and has bad addiction in the area , recent articles say there was needles all over brook avenue and other streets and it’s a problem . But I admire your optimism, look at Mott haven as luxury if you want just because of new real estate
Yep. A sh** load of addicts go into St Mary’s Park to get high. Or they usually find any bathroom they can to do so

Old 08-13-2019, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Okay, this is not strictly the subject of the thread, but I think it would be useful to the same people that are interested in the actual subject of this thread: what CHEAP areas of the Bronx are the safest (yes, Riverdale is the safest, but not cheap)? My question is not about "nice" areas, or areas with "amenities" - it is strictly about safety. Where else (except for Parkchester) can you buy a 2-bedroom condo for $220k, and still stay reliably safe?
You are trying to compare Parkchester, which is a planned neighborhood to other areas of the Bronx... Parkchester is unique in that it has subway access and is still somewhat safe (most of the Bronx is not safe that has subway access), with the exception of Pelham Bay and Morris Park, and both of those areas just have the subway on the edge of the neighborhoods. Most of the residents take the express bus which serves the core of the areas. I would describe Parkchester is a middle class neighborhood that is basically working class... Not too many neighborhoods like it given what the area was built for.... To provide affordable housing for ordinary middle class working folks.

Parkchester can't really compare. The only similar neighborhood is maybe Co-op City, but you are not buying condos there, but rather co-ops, and there are restrictions in place, as it is a form of affordable housing. Most of the Bronx does not have upper middle to upper class neighborhoods. Riverdale is the only one, and then you have several solidly middle class areas. Maybe Country Club (Spencer Estates) and parts of Throggs Neck right along the waterfront could be considered upper middle class.

Old 08-13-2019, 12:59 PM

8,329 posts, read 4,370,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
You are trying to compare Parkchester, which is a planned neighborhood to other areas of the Bronx... Parkchester is unique in that it has subway access and is still somewhat safe (most of the Bronx is not safe that has subway access), with the exception of Pelham Bay and Morris Park, and both of those areas just have the subway on the edge of the neighborhoods. Most of the residents take the express bus which serves the core of the areas. I would describe Parkchester is a middle class neighborhood that is basically working class... Not too many neighborhoods like it given what the area was built for.... To provide affordable housing for ordinary middle class working folks.

Parkchester can't really compare. The only similar neighborhood is maybe Co-op City, but you are not buying condos there, but rather co-ops, and there are restrictions in place, as it is a form of affordable housing. Most of the Bronx does not have upper middle to upper class neighborhoods. Riverdale is the only one, and then you have several solidly middle class areas. Maybe Country Club (Spencer Estates) and parts of Throggs Neck right along the waterfront could be considered upper middle class.

So, if you are lower middle class/ working class, or just need a cheap place in NYC for some other reason, AND you are a decent/ non-criminal person, AND you want your family to be as safe as possible on a shoestring budget, there is only one place in the Bronx (and possibly in NYC): PARKCHESTER! Admit it! It can't compare - your own words! It is unique.

Old 08-13-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
So, if you are lower middle class/ working class, or just need a cheap place in NYC for some other reason, AND you are a decent/ non-criminal person, AND you want your family to be as safe as possible on a shoestring budget, there is only one place in the Bronx (and possibly in NYC): PARKCHESTER! Admit it! It can't compare - your own words! It is unique.
Well yeah. You make it sound like it is somehow just happens to be so special. It was created specifically for working class people! lol

Old 08-13-2019, 01:27 PM

12,154 posts, read 7,975,986 times
So glad I got out of NYC when I had the chance.

Old 08-13-2019, 01:35 PM

32 posts, read 19,782 times
I recently moved to Pelham Bay last year. I feel pretty safe in the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City