Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 05:03 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,083,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
Theres a studio for $1450 and a 1br for $1725 right there off of 168st. Try to be in the area if its your first time in the city.
Tell him silverbull...Tell him about those latinas with the big culos and big ol tiddays!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 03:40 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,774,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
Tell him silverbull...Tell him about those latinas with the big culos and big ol tiddays!!
That's the east side of broadway in that area, the west side is a whole different story.

Old 02-17-2016, 03:59 PM

11 posts, read 14,994 times
Lol thanks for the advice everyone

Checking out Washington Heights / West Harlem now. I'm not looking to move in till mid may, so just getting an idea of prices / what's out there.

Still debating Riverdale, only because I have a car lease for another two years (life plans changed, wasn't intending to go to grad school originally) - SO I'm unfortunately stuck with this car till February 2018. Seems parking would be easier in Riverdale, if I got an apartment building that has garage parking.

Also Columbia owns an apartment building for students in Riverdale, and they have a shuttle several times every hour from the building to the hospital and back, so I wouldn't have to take the subway anyway. As long as I lived in that building or close.

Old 02-17-2016, 04:11 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
That's the east side of broadway in that area, the west side is a whole different story.
I'm sure there must be big booty Dominican girls on both sides of broadway

Old 02-17-2016, 04:12 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
What's the cheapest neighborhood to live in Manhattan these days? Washington Heights?

Old 02-17-2016, 04:13 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,514,459 times
Riverdale isn't a bad option, although it's a sizable walk to the 1 train, or you'll need to take a bus to the train. Neither is much fun.

I'd suggest somewhere uptown on the west side of Manhattan, anywhere from the UWS to Inwood. On your budget, if you want to live by yourself, you're looking at a studio somewhere north of like 135th Street, maybe a one bedroom, but I wouldn't count on it. If you're open to having a roommate, you could easily live on the UWS.

Old 02-17-2016, 05:47 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
What's the cheapest neighborhood to live in Manhattan these days? Washington Heights?
Either that or Inwood.

Old 02-20-2016, 10:45 AM

345 posts, read 853,601 times
You might want to consider Hudson heights, ft washington ave from 181st to the clostiers. You can take the #4 bus down to 168st. Or take the A train to 168. Nice neighborhood, very quiet.

Old 02-20-2016, 01:17 PM

993 posts, read 1,385,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uscg90 View Post

Also Columbia owns an apartment building for students in Riverdale, and they have a shuttle several times every hour from the building to the hospital and back, so I wouldn't have to take the subway anyway. As long as I lived in that building or close.
Pro-Riverdale: That shuttle sounds very helpful for your most frequent commute to school. Can you find out from students now if the shuttle is reliable? Will it run late enough for you? An advantage of bus over subway is you have internet access aboveground all the way, so you can work even harder

Pro-Washington Heights: the 168th St./Broadway station has great express subway access to Midtown Manhattan, using the Express A train. Also the C and 1 local trains, same station. On the A Train, you'd reach Times Square in 15 minutes flat. So, living in Washington Heights, when you have time off, you're in much better relationship to the city than from Riverdale when the work shuttle only gets you to 168th and no further.

With winter weather/traffic situations, and for someone in medicine (?), nothing beats being able to walk to work, IMO. Save time and stress by depending only on yourself to commute by foot. You'll show up on time in worst weather, and symapthize with everyone else who had to struggle just to get there.

Are you sure you can't buy your way out of that car contract? If not, cost out an open-air neighborhood parking lot by the month in Washington Heights. That offsets your savings in rent, but lets you race around to friends and family on weekends, saving you time that way.

Last edited by BrightRabbit; 02-20-2016 at 01:33 PM..

Old 02-20-2016, 02:49 PM

51 posts, read 94,091 times
If you have a car, I would definitely budget a garage if you plan on living in Washington Heights. Parking is a nightmare here, especially the closer you are to the hospital. You can circle around for hours not finding anything. I find that a parking spot never sits empty for more than a minute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City