Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 02:12 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,954,302 times

Advertisements

It looks like Trump has single handledly reversed the New York curse. A few more wins and the other Republicans will be out of the race. Hillary has 2 out of 3 wins.

So in the general election we may have a Native New Yorker versus a New York politician.

Back to the MTA, do people here feel that a President Hillary Clinton or a President Donald Trump would push funding to the MTA to do projects like Second Avenue Subway phases 2-4, de Blasio's Brooklyn/Queens East River light rain, Penn Station Access and Rockaway Beach LIRR. Obviously they couldn't just fund NYC public transportation alone ,but possibly a President Clinton or a President Trump might fund a major federal expansion of mass transit in big cities that would lead to the funding of these MTA NY projects and big expansions in other cities as well.

Thoughts? Would either of them do it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 05:25 AM

43,610 posts, read 44,341,041 times
Since neither Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton are yet the certain candidates of the parties, I think it is too earlier to think about your question. But in general a president from the NY area would understand the transit issues more personally and might be more willing to find ways to legally help NY financially to get funding for its "developing" transit issues.

Old 02-24-2016, 06:06 AM

27 posts, read 43,006 times
I really believe that Hillary would. She, like most Democrats, seem to be more concerned with public interest projects. Trump on the other hand probably wouldn't care. The presidency would be just another business deal to him and if public infrastructure isn't supporting his cronies, he won't care.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:59 PM

1,184 posts, read 719,929 times
Trump would, hes a builder. He has experience with unions and budgets. He would also rather spend money making America great again, than to feed illegal aliens and refuguees like Clinton would do.

Old 02-24-2016, 02:04 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,680,578 times
Hillary is a transplant, not a true NYer. She haven't paid her dues nor done much as Senator Clinton.

Old 02-24-2016, 02:45 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,071,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Hillary is a transplant, not a true NYer. She haven't paid her dues nor done much as Senator Clinton.
Hillary isn't even a 'transplant', and it's doubtful that it's a term they'd ever use in Chappaqua, NY.

Should anyone in the Fed. really be concerned about NYS' garbage infrastructure?
I don't see Trump caring much if he were to get elected about things that would make him 'more money' or serve his 'cronies'. I think he'd rather screw over the people who had done him wrong... power to him.

I don't know what Hillary would do.
I think Bernie Sanders would see the most towards green-transit and expansion.

... but at one point, someone should come out and try to clean house the garbage that is the MTA.

Old 02-24-2016, 03:25 PM

31,885 posts, read 26,916,776 times
How much *more* mass transit money does the OP want funneled to NYC?

In response to a similar query several weeks ago one pointed out the vast sums already given to NYC/NYS. This includes but not limited to: Farley post office conversion, SAS, Eastside LIRR Access, new Hudson River Rail Tunnel project, expansion of the Transit Check scheme, new Fulton Street subway station, two new Staten Island ferry boats, and so forth. All this on top of the funding MTA receives as part of various federal mass transit funding.

New York City does not even want to fund the MTA fully for its mass transit but always is looking elsewhere for a touch. There are 49 other states and hundreds of local areas that need mass transit funding too you know.

It is all part of the bleeding heart liberal/democratic MO of tax and spend. At least when the Bloomberg administration wanted the #7 subway line expanded they found a way of doing so without involving federal aid.

Old 02-24-2016, 03:41 PM

769 posts, read 1,014,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedog9 View Post
Trump would, hes a builder. He has experience with unions and budgets. He would also rather spend money making America great again, than to feed illegal aliens and refuguees like Clinton would do.
This is accurate. Trump would do the most for the city infrastructure. Look at his track record for building high end real estate projects in the city.

Clinton is a criminal and I think she will be federally indicted, even with Obama and the DOJ protecting her. The DNC wouldn't be stupid enough to make her their candidate with all the criminal charges that are hanging over her head. I also do not believe that honest hard working americans would elect such a deceitful and criminal politician to the office of POTUS. It would be unprecedented, unless they somehow rigged the voting machines or registered millions of illegals with fraudulent votes.

Old 02-24-2016, 04:11 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,332,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJMac02 View Post
I really believe that Hillary would. She, like most Democrats, seem to be more concerned with public interest projects. Trump on the other hand probably wouldn't care. The presidency would be just another business deal to him and if public infrastructure isn't supporting his cronies, he won't care.
If the liberals who ran the state gave a rat's rear end about public interests projects/MTA/infrastructure, they would have been allocating resources to those areas for decades. Lord knows we're all paying enough in taxes to live here!

Perhaps their concern isn't the citizens' transportation or the students' education, but rather continuing the gravy train between the Democratic party and the public sector unions.

A politician who is a true representative of their constituents would attempt to obtain the highest quality services at the lowest possible price. In NYC, we receive the lowest quality public services at the highest possible tax rate. It's not by accident.

Old 02-25-2016, 07:40 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,048,523 times
I think either would be good for New York City's infrastructure, assuming of course that increasing warfare that both can be expected to wage does not result in deadly attacks against New Yorkers.

Is an extra few train station worth a few restaurant or subway explosions? I think not, so therefore I have no use for either Clinton or Trump, both warmongering imperialists. They can both go to Hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City