Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 07:12 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,248,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWinter View Post
I've heard and seen on various sites that the idea of to going college is becoming less important these days. I have even heard (maybe one or two people) say that it is a waste of time going to college. There are some people that feel you don't need a degree to earn a decent living in this day and age and the younger generations won't see the point of going. What do you guys think about this and what may happen for future college students?

*****By the way, these statements are NOT based off my opinions. I just want to hear what others think about what I've been hearing lately.
depends on your career path.. if you want to be an entrepreneur or if you goal is mid or retail mgmt at best like store manager at burger king, or dept in home depot or sears, you don't need college.. your salary will be maxed at below 6 figures.

if you can't get into a top 100 school, don't bother with college.. go to technical school and get licensed in hvac or auto repair, or comp sci. you will find extremely good pay for these jobs that nobody wants to do.

if you do get into a top 50 school and gradaute with degree, your ability to leverage your skillset at any point in your career to get higher salaries is increased significantly.. it's a license to make more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2016, 07:20 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Oh I don't know about now "not exactly difficult" some civil servant exams are; FDNY lost a huge "equality" court case recently and was ordered by a federal judge to hire a slew of African Americans and Latino/Hispanics because somehow they couldn't pass the previous exam in high enough numbers. NYPD went the same way years ago IIRC.

If you want to try your hand, pick one: https://www.cs.ny.gov/testing/localtestguides.cfm
I actually went though the NYPD process. I passed the entire process including written exam, physical test, psych, medical, etc. There was a hiring freeze though and when the freeze was lifted, I got called back. I wasn't interested at that point.

I still remember the cohort I was with who passed the written exam. They weren't exactly the brightest bulbs.

The most difficult part of the process was getting the paperwork together and that just requires diligence. Nothing too difficult.

Old 02-28-2016, 07:25 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ControlJohnsons View Post
depends on your career path.. if you want to be an entrepreneur or if you goal is mid or retail mgmt at best like store manager at burger king, or dept in home depot or sears, you don't need college.. your salary will be maxed at below 6 figures.

if you can't get into a top 100 school, don't bother with college.. go to technical school and get licensed in hvac or auto repair, or comp sci. you will find extremely good pay for these jobs that nobody wants to do.

if you do get into a top 50 school and gradaute with degree, your ability to leverage your skillset at any point in your career to get higher salaries is increased significantly.. it's a license to make more.
Unless you're blue collar union, the pay is terrible along with poor working conditions.

MY father was a union tin knocker. Union guys make a very good salary (for blue collar) with great benefits but the non union folks have it pretty terrible.

Of course it also matters what one considers great or terrible. Some people think that making 50k is great and they're very happy at that level. Some people are just happy to hold down a job.

Old 02-28-2016, 02:29 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ControlJohnsons View Post

Most teachers, nurses, doctors did not go to a top 100 college.

And if you go to a college that isn't top 100, but you have a high GPA and/or GRE or other standardized test score, you can still get into a top 100 college for grad school.

Old 02-28-2016, 04:02 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylover89 View Post
I think for most "white collar" jobs, the trend has been that they are requiring more formal education...not less. In fact, I would say that decades from now, having a Bachelors degree will be a prerequisite for the majority of jobs which is upsetting for many people to think about, for good reason. College is expensive and not accessible to everyone. If anything, having a Bachelors degree may seem like a "waste of time" because more people are getting them. It is not as impressive to have one as it used to be....which should be an indication of the changing job market. .

Hate to break it to you but many places *already* only hire those with four year degrees. Every position from go-fer/mail-room boy to receptionist to anything above.

Report: Employers Want More College Graduates for Lower-Level Jobs - US News

Is it discriminatory to require applicants to have a college degree? - Nolo.com

Old 02-28-2016, 05:37 PM

814 posts, read 911,469 times
Quote:
Hate to break it to you but many places *already* only hire those with four year degrees. Every position from go-fer/mail-room boy to receptionist to anything above.

Report: Employers Want More College Graduates for Lower-Level Jobs - US News

Is it discriminatory to require applicants to have a college degree? - Nolo.com
But then you create a culture of under employed people and you also increase the chances of credit default and another economic downturn since those jobs do not pay enough to pay back hundreds of dollars a month in student loan debt so when that bubble pops it wont be good.

Old 02-28-2016, 05:52 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVEN 1 View Post
But then you create a culture of under employed people and you also increase the chances of credit default and another economic downturn since those jobs do not pay enough to pay back hundreds of dollars a month in student loan debt so when that bubble pops it wont be good.
That don't befront American businesses/employers, they are wanting to hire capable persons and are finding out and or have found out that by and large high school diplomas aren't worth a hill of beans. In short a person holding a four year college degree possesses the qualities once found in many recent high school graduates.

Part of this comes out of the trend to pass along and or graduate high school students for a host of reasons including to make local school district's numbers look good. Here in NYC large numbers of graduates with public high school diplomas must spend one, two or more semesters doing remedial work before they can even take 100 level college classes. This is a trend you see really all over the country and it gives you an idea of the quality some high schools graduate. Things got so bad here in NYC that the head of our city university system (CUNY) threatened to revoke the automatic acceptance of NYC public high school students unless the academic quality of same increased.

Old 02-28-2016, 06:52 PM

Quote:
That don't befront American businesses/employers, they are wanting to hire capable persons and are finding out and or have found out that by and large high school diplomas aren't worth a hill of beans. In short a person holding a four year college degree possesses the qualities once found in many recent high school graduates.

Part of this comes out of the trend to pass along and or graduate high school students for a host of reasons including to make local school district's numbers look good. Here in NYC large numbers of graduates with public high school diplomas must spend one, two or more semesters doing remedial work before they can even take 100 level college classes. This is a trend you see really all over the country and it gives you an idea of the quality some high schools graduate. Things got so bad here in NYC that the head of our city university system (CUNY) threatened to revoke the automatic acceptance of NYC public high school students unless the academic quality of same increased.
There is no doubt that our education system sucks, kids are either not well prepared for college or they cannot afford it.

Having said that I still cannot be convinced that spending 100k on a 4 year degree to make 45k as a secretary is justifiable. Not only is that dumb its also financial suicide, your credit score is lower because one would owe more then what they are making, its called income to debt ratio and were creating another generation of slaves to debt.

Old 02-28-2016, 06:58 PM

We are giving out way too much money to kids who cant pay it back and we're giving out these student loans without verification of income or credit scores, we're creating another housing bubble except this time its with education.

Old 02-28-2016, 07:06 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVEN 1 View Post
We are giving out way too much money to kids who cant pay it back and we're giving out these student loans without verification of income or credit scores, we're creating another housing bubble except this time its with education.

There is already major discussion about the student loan bubble. It is one of my main objections.

Requiring college educations for jobs that should not require this is merely feeding the private student loan industry, which has proven enormously profitable for a few.

And it's not as though students are receiving a "classical" education, that is to say, one that broadens horizons and encourages proactive thinking throughout life and so much more. They aren't. This is the privilege of those at the top schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City