U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 04:23 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,760,704 times

Advertisements

They are ESCO scammers. This article explains it:

Lawmakers in Albany Are Letting ESCOs Swindle Thousands of New Yorkers | Village Voice

I've had one of them force his arm and foot into the door to keep me from closing it in his face. When I shoved him out, he had the audacity to call me a "b*tch".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2016, 04:36 PM

8,681 posts, read 8,920,241 times
Because of the way my building is metered, I used to get Con Ed pounding on the door occasionally, and I usually ignored them if possible, mostly because I suspected that my bill would skyrocket.

You can always ask what they want, and ask them for a name and ID number and say you'll call Con Ed to confirm.

Old 02-28-2016, 06:54 PM

15,496 posts, read 24,569,749 times
I had 2 boys and a girl in the hallway claim they can make my bill lower, I told them, "dont worry about my bill, I can well very afford you rates"...................they just looked at me, and I closed the door.....
total scam is right, its a third party electric thing that is not going to make you bill cheaper.

Old 02-28-2016, 07:43 PM

406 posts, read 403,240 times
yes they are fraud, dont show them bills tell them to f off. They insisted that i have to show them the bills and kept ringing my door bell. Actually they tried my address for couple of times and my landlord was not here and i got so angry i almost punch one of guys in the face.

Old 02-28-2016, 08:12 PM

6,885 posts, read 8,092,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowplayer2 View Post
yes they are fraud, dont show them bills tell them to f off. They insisted that i have to show them the bills and kept ringing my door bell. Actually they tried my address for couple of times and my landlord was not here and i got so angry i almost punch one of guys in the face.

One of them told me: If you post a sign on your door indicating that they are not to knock - "NO ESCOs" or similar - they will stop. Do not know how true it is.

They are basically soliciting and therefore trespassing. You can hang a sign forbidding both in your lobby.

I am constantly keeping my eye out because of the number of elderly people living in the neighborhood.

Old 02-28-2016, 08:27 PM

5,946 posts, read 6,124,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Over the last few months, once in the late afternoon and once after 6 PM someone has knocked on my door with an I.D. badge and a clipboard saying they are from Con Ed and mentioning something about the "back of your bill". Both times I informed them I was not expecting Con Ed and they became agitated. I am curious to see if anyone else gets these, And if this is just someone soliciting as I think it is. Most solicitations seem to come through phone or email as opposed to door to door. I lived in numerous buildings in my life and don't recall this in the past. I do not open the door as we have all heard of the ambush type robberies that have occurred from people posing as utility workers. I informed the super who said he would kick them out of the building if they are not there for a legit purpose from a utility company.
It is about selecting an ESCO, and a stable electric or gas rate. Con Ed constantly charges the highest rates, and always fluctuates. Those people from Con Ed, I believe are actually from Energy Services Companies that provide Con Ed with the gas and electric. They want you to buy directly from them. Con Ed still makes money off delivery.

You can choose green power, or not, and get a stable rate. My company selecting an ESCO, and they saved a lot of money. Companies include North American Power, Pinnacle, Green Mountain, Plymouth Energy, Direct Energy. You can do the same with National Grid.

Old 02-28-2016, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by high iron View Post
They are ESCO scammers. This article explains it:

Lawmakers in Albany Are Letting ESCOs Swindle Thousands of New Yorkers | Village Voice

I've had one of them force his arm and foot into the door to keep me from closing it in his face. When I shoved him out, he had the audacity to call me a "b*tch".
I dont get the swindle. My company has saved thousands of dollars by selecting an ESCO instead of letting Con Ed buy.

Well, then again it may not make a difference if you are just a tenant, and dont pay for your own heat, hot water, and dont have hallway lights or outside lights that have to stay on for a long time.

Old 02-28-2016, 08:33 PM

Okay I just read the article. Well my company did not wait for a knock on the door. They just called up the ESCOs and asked what rates they have and what contracts and just selected like that.

Old 02-28-2016, 08:40 PM

11,045 posts, read 21,400,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Okay I just read the article. Well my company did not wait for a knock on the door. They just called up the ESCOs and asked what rates they have and what contracts and just selected like that.
I think that's the major difference. Your company has the skills and the resources to conduct research to get an actual discount with a legitimate ESCO.

The problem is that the industry is plagued by scam-like business practices like slamming, and preying on non-English-speakers and elderly, and then charging them higher rates after the switch.

I have kicked some ESCO people out of my building as well. However, I do feel kind of badly for the people doing this "job." I don't think they are scammers like the people who do broken eyeglass scams and the like, or even like the guys on the subway who are supposedly selling candy for their basketball team.

My understanding (maybe I am wrong) is that these ESCO people could probably not find a better, more legitimate job, so they took something that is probably commission-only and they are rather desperate to make a buck. So they are actually vulnerable part of the population as well. Yes, I will still chase them out of the building if I find them there, but maybe I will be nicer about it now that I've come to this realization.

Old 02-28-2016, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I think that's the major difference. Your company has the skills and the resources to conduct research to get an actual discount with a legitimate ESCO.

The problem is that the industry is plagued by scam-like business practices like slamming, and preying on non-English-speakers and elderly, and then charging them higher rates after the switch.

I have kicked some ESCO people out of my building as well. However, I do feel kind of badly for the people doing this "job." I don't think they are scammers like the people who do broken eyeglass scams and the like, or even like the guys on the subway who are supposedly selling candy for their basketball team.

My understanding (maybe I am wrong) is that these ESCO people could probably not find a better, more legitimate job, so they took something that is probably commission-only and they are rather desperate to make a buck. So they are actually vulnerable part of the population as well. Yes, I will still chase them out of the building if I find them there, but maybe I will be nicer about it now that I've come to this realization.
These people can just call up Con Ed, and ask them. There is a website they give out listing their escos and their rates and terms, plus phone numbers. But I guess if your elderly, new to the country, or just first time on your own, you are pretty vulnerable.

That is why threads like this are good. And you can set up everything directly on the ESCOs websites too. Just give them Name, billing address, choose rate and term, and Con Ed acct #.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City