Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 07:36 AM

58 posts, read 179,790 times

Advertisements

I was reading a Mob Social Club Guide in New York and I found that Morris Park and Pelham Gardens were very Italian neighborhoods. Today, are still the same italian neighborhoods or they have they been changed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 07:43 AM

4,587 posts, read 2,597,722 times
Albanians and Hispanics with Jews and Italians mostly.

Old 03-01-2016, 08:51 AM

353 posts, read 471,276 times
My parents still live in Pelham gardens, still mostly Italian but Albanians are also making up a large part of the population. Puerto rican/Dominican are a small minority in the area and even smaller black populations.

Regardless of race it is still very much a middle class working quiet residential area.

As for morris park - when I pass by the area I think the above would also describe that area as well.

Old 03-01-2016, 05:55 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,073,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavide74 View Post
I was reading a Mob Social Club Guide in New York and I found that Morris Park and Pelham Gardens were very Italian neighborhoods. Today, are still the same italian neighborhoods or they have they been changed?
I live in the area. My guess is that both neighborhoods are about 60% or so Italian at this point.Still lots of Italian restaurants ,bakeries,grocers,etc. The neighborhoods have changed but not much really. Still a few Italian social clubs around but have no idea whether thy are "mob".

Saw a Law and Order episode recently where a little old Italian lady who lives in Morris Park was the one running mob rackets out of her dead husbands business.I think there are still a lot of them around. I think " Fat Tony" Salerno and other Genovese family members lived in Morris Park as well as some Gambino family .That's how it got it's rep as a mob neighborhorhood.

Just curious, why are you so obsessed with Italian neighborhoods of NYC ? I 'm sort of fascinated by them myself and I'm not Italian.

Last edited by bluedog2; 03-01-2016 at 06:20 PM..

Old 03-02-2016, 08:04 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,689,104 times
Bluedog, Is MP more Albanian/Macedonian then Italian at this point? Celebration hosted by Assemblyman Mark Gjonaj and the Consulate General of the Republic of Kosova • Bronx Times

Old 03-02-2016, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
No,there are a lot of Albanians all over the area,especially Bronxwood and Bronxdale but they don't outnumber Italians in MP or Pelham Gardens.Not sure if they ever will because I don't think there are many new Albanians coming in. Gjonaj actually lives on City Island ,which also has a lot of Albanians.

There has been a major Asian influx all over the area in the last 5 years and I think that's where things are headed.

Old 03-02-2016, 05:43 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
No,there are a lot of Albanians all over the area,especially Bronxwood and Bronxdale but they don't outnumber Italians in MP or Pelham Gardens.Not sure if they ever will because I don't think there are many new Albanians coming in. Gjonaj actually lives on City Island ,which also has a lot of Albanians.

There has been a major Asian influx all over the area in the last 5 years and I think that's where things are headed.
So many persons see Albanians and *think* they are Italian as often they have the same southern European looks. I always look at the chain to see if a double headed eagle or a crucifix (and or medals) are hanging. That and of course the horn.

Albanian immigration to the USA actually took off post WWII and continued even as the rest of European immigration slowed and or faced shutting down post Kennedy Immigration Law changes. This happened because many Albanians came as refugees/asylum seekers from Greece, Kosovo, and other places with recent turmoil. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albani...t-World_War_II

Old 03-02-2016, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
So many persons see Albanians and *think* they are Italian as often they have the same southern European looks. I always look at the chain to see if a double headed eagle or a crucifix (and or medals) are hanging. That and of course the horn.

Albanian immigration to the USA actually took off post WWII and continued even as the rest of European immigration slowed and or faced shutting down post Kennedy Immigration Law changes. This happened because many Albanians came as refugees/asylum seekers from Greece, Kosovo, and other places with recent turmoil. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albani...t-World_War_II
I don't mistake Albanians for Italians or Italians for Albanians. I live in the neighborhood and speak fluent Italian. I hang out in local restaurants and shops and speak to people in Italian. Also,a good friend is the principal of a school in MP.

The Albanian immigration boomed in the 80's and 90's and Pelham Parkway became the biggest Albanian neighborhood in NYC but the boom petered out after about 2000 and many have moved on.Still plenty around but their population in the neighborhood is definitely declining as with the Italians .

Old 03-03-2016, 09:13 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

Italy ruled Albania in the past. There are lots of Albanians living in Italy today. Perhaps there is a "connection" and the Albanians picked those areas as there was something familiar there.

Old 03-04-2016, 08:34 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,689,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post

When you say Asian influx, Korean/Chinese or folks from India/Bangladesh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City