Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 06:54 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,041 times

Advertisements

70% of NYC 8th graders are Black and Hispanic.

Quote:
MANHATTAN — Next year’s incoming freshman at city’s most elite high schools will be even less diverse they were this year, according to data from high school admissions offers the Department of Education released Friday.

Just 4 percent of the students admitted to the eight schools that require the Specialized High School Admissions Test were black, down from 5 percent last year; and roughly 6 percent were Latino, down from about 7 percent last year, according to DOE data.

Those schools include Staten Island Tech, where the 346 offer letters did not go out to a single black student, and were sent to just eight Hispanic students.

At Stuyvesant High School, the 950 offer letters went to nine black students — less than 1 percent — and 14 Hispanic students — just more than 1 percent.
https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/201...ool-stats-show

----------------------------------

2015 Data below

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2016, 07:29 AM

1,998 posts, read 1,881,887 times
You will not be able to solve the academic divide across races if you do not address the past. Since ancient times, Asians and more specifically Chinese have been taught that the path to prosperity for a poor person is through test taking (civil services examination system). Many poor Asians will devote all their resources for their kids to succeed in taking exams. In addition, the impact on this country's war on drugs are still being felt in the Hispanic and Black community.

Many of this elite schools are overrated being as life is not always about test taking and individuality. Many of the kids who attend this elite schools struggle once they leave the academic field, because many lack the social skills to work in a team environment and struggle to develop a network.

Old 03-06-2016, 07:53 AM

436 posts, read 565,011 times
I've said this before but elite schools are only as good as the students that attend them. If students don't know what they want to get out of elite schools, then they're better off going somewhere else where there is less pressure, competition, and expectation. That being said, much has been said about the intellectual and economic environments that many blacks and hispanics experience during their formative years. A true progressive will worry about solving those issues instead of whining about how there is a lack of diversity in these "elite" schools.

Old 03-06-2016, 09:52 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,903,477 times
The lack of diversity is not because of the admissions process. It's a multiple choice test in Math and English that everybody has the opportunity to take. I've heard some people say it's because of access to test prep. If anything, that would make it an economical issue, not a racial issue. I would still dispute that, as I know of Asian parents who have to work 10-12 hour days and still send their kids to classes on Saturdays and Sundays and throughout the summer. Getting their kids into these schools is the *family's* top priority and they sacrifice a lot, including vacations.

Old 03-06-2016, 10:06 AM

4,587 posts, read 2,597,722 times
Asian kids work hard. I am a minority black/hispanic. I remember my classmates from Vietnam and China. If culturally they come from a backgroubd where test prep is ingrained its hard to argue. I heard a discusion that East Asians have been taking tests for much longer then we have in the West for advancement. Plus many Asian parents although humbly employed have high levels of education abroad. Most Americans dont have this black or white. If they work that hard with that goal they deserve it. NPR had a feature on a school district in New Jersey that is highly succesful with their schools that decided to pull back on school demands cause it hurts the kids emotionally. I am a father of a 14 year old who now as a freshman in high school who has now endeavored on her own to be a top student. This came from her own motivation and I didnt force it on her and I think that is how most Americans feel about it. Test taking and admissions should consider more then standarized tests for admission because studying for tests does not equal being educated. But I dont have a problem with the study. If they study and prepare for those exams at higher levels then Hispanics or blacks then so be it. But for kids in non elite high schools I hope they get an education thats regent level.

Old 03-06-2016, 10:26 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,903,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
But for kids in non elite high schools I hope they get an education thats regent level.
That's really the key. There wouldn't be such an outcry if the graduates of the elite and non-elite schools go on to similar colleges. That's not the case though; many of the elite school students *expect* to go on to Ivy League and other top colleges across the country.

Old 03-06-2016, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post
That's really the key. There wouldn't be such an outcry if the graduates of the elite and non-elite schools go on to similar colleges. That's not the case though; many of the elite school students *expect* to go on to Ivy League and other top colleges across the country.
I knew kids from BHS who sat next to me in Hunter College. My nephew is Puerto Rican and graduated from BHS and went to Lehman.I also had classmates black, Asian, Hispanic who went to pretty good schools everwhere. Just hope that kids are taught the lesson of perserverance. Sometimes you dont give up. Some of these kids pushed by their parents kill themselves cause the only school that would take them was NYU. A dark joke but kids are most vulnerable at that 15-19 range.

Old 03-06-2016, 11:04 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
You will not be able to solve the academic divide across races if you do not address the past. Since ancient times, Asians and more specifically Chinese have been taught that the path to prosperity for a poor person is through test taking (civil services examination system). Many poor Asians will devote all their resources for their kids to succeed in taking exams. In addition, the impact on this country's war on drugs are still being felt in the Hispanic and Black community.

Many of this elite schools are overrated being as life is not always about test taking and individuality. Many of the kids who attend this elite schools struggle once they leave the academic field, because many lack the social skills to work in a team environment and struggle to develop a network.
Not true at all. If you want to do better than retail, restaurant, or construction jobs in a place like NYC you'll need advanced academic skills. Today any decent civil service job requires a BA, and of course jobs in education require at least a masters. Getting worthwhile private sector jobs will also require good education.

Issues with Black and Hispanics in NYC go beyond war on drugs. Segregation in the housing market is a big factor. If we're perfectly honest in Manhattan the Black population is disproportionately in the HOUSING projects, and I'm including Harlem. The same for the Puerto Rican population.

Of the SMALL percentages of Blacks and Hispanics accepted into these specialized high schools, I'd like to know more data on them in terms of socioeconomic and neighborhoods. That's not in the article of course.

Last edited by NyWriterdude; 03-06-2016 at 11:17 AM..

Old 03-06-2016, 11:22 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,009,085 times
The bottomline is that if you don't have the right priorities and the right work ethic...it'll never change.

Old 03-06-2016, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Not true at all. If you want to do better than retail, restaurant, or construction jobs in a place like NYC you'll need advanced academic skills. Today any decent civil service job requires a BA, and of course jobs in education require at least a masters. Getting worthwhile private sector jobs will also require good education.

Issues with Black and Hispanics in NYC go beyond war on drugs. Segregation in the housing market is a big factor. If we're perfectly honest in Manhattan the Black population is disproportionately in the HOUSING projects, and I'm including Harlem. The same for the Puerto Rican population.

Of the SMALL percentages of Blacks and Hispanics accepted into these specialized high schools, I'd like to know more data on them in terms of socioeconomic and neighborhoods. That's not in the article of course.
I am afraid for my daughter and other kids. Its going to be so hard for them. I think this fear for our kids explains so much in our society. The competetion the bias. Its all very, very, very sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City