U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 02:13 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,104,846 times

Advertisements

Did you have the interview yet?

I found this information about changes in family size, taken from another lottery. I'm posting it because the question comes up frequently:

Changes to household composition is generally not recognized and would result in an applicant being placed at the bottom of the log for consideration only after all other applications are exhausted, unless qualifies as “life event”/ extenuating circumstance, for example: birth, death, marriage, divorce, court order of custody, military deployment, etc. Accepted documents include: birth certificate, death certificate, marriage certificate, court order, etc.

Please note this is pertaining to one lottery, and may not pertain to all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 07:41 AM

17,761 posts, read 23,479,012 times
With 3 people you will need to qualify for the TWO bedroom apartment (total income of you and girlfriend.) Then it becomes a question of where you would stand on the two bedroom list, perhaps they would put you at the bottom of that list.

They will not rent an affordable studio or one bedroom apartment to a 3 person household.

Last edited by Kefir King; 03-24-2016 at 07:54 AM..

Old 03-29-2016, 12:50 PM

64 posts, read 55,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc8091 View Post
I submitted an application for myself and was selected for an interview. However, my household size changed. I lived with my fiance who have a son. Can I include her in the app now? Will she need to come with me, even if she's not in the application? How does this change my chances of getting an apartment? Will I also have to include her in the income? Please note that we are both female. Thank you.

I think these apartments are for families. They dont want to hear that its you and your boyfriend/girlfriend. They prefer husband/wife/children.....not aunt, uncle.

Old 04-12-2016, 02:30 AM

21 posts, read 24,047 times
What about a family of 3 mom, dad, and child (female), but throughout the waiting process mom becomes pregnant with a baby boy? Do they still qualify? If so does that mean they get bumped to the 3 bedroom category? Or do they remain in the two bedroom category?

Old 08-25-2016, 03:31 PM

2 posts, read 3,092 times
did you get the apartment

Old 08-30-2016, 09:53 AM

14 posts, read 11,876 times
I just saw your post and I have a question. When you say add my last six pay stubs, do I add what I get every two weeks after taxes or before taxes.
Also, I make 36,515 a year. Is that the number I have to look for when looking for apartments. For example an apartment with an income range from 30,000 to 40,000 will be the one I will have to apply to correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
They will calculate your income a couple of different ways and then take the highest one.

Alas, it does seem that at $38,000 you will be in between the two ranges.

You can calculate for yourself, roughly. Take your last six pay stubs, add them up, divide by six, and then multiply that amount by 26 if you get paid every two weeks or 52 if you get paid every week. Or 24 if you get paid twice a month. That's what they'll look at first. They will also look at your past two years' tax returns. But even if those are lower, that won't help you.

You might as well go on the interview if you don't mind making the effort.

Does your girlfriend work? If she has an income too, you'll really be over the limit. Would that push you into the upper bracket maybe?

Old 08-30-2016, 10:09 AM

1,326 posts, read 1,104,846 times
If you are a salaried worker, they will look at your gross pay (before taxes).

If you are a freelancer, they will look at your after-tax income, and the whole thing is a lot more complicated. I'm assuming you're not in this category.

And yes, if your income is $36,515, you would look at the bracket that includes that number.

Old 09-27-2017, 10:31 AM

27 posts, read 8,202 times
My household change also I had my boyfriend in the application but he's no longer moving with me . Can I say the day of the interview he's not moving with me ? Or still he has to go or how does that work

Old 09-27-2017, 10:36 AM

319 posts, read 110,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camila0325 View Post
My household change also I had my boyfriend in the application but he's no longer moving with me . Can I say the day of the interview he's not moving with me ? Or still he has to go or how does that work
macnyc2003, answered this earlier. You will be placed in the bottom of the pile.

Old 09-28-2017, 06:33 PM

61 posts, read 29,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
You will be disqualified if you are even $1 over. You look to be a few thousand so you do NOT fit that income bracket.

However they may calculate it several ways, like averaging last 3 tax returns, or projected income.

But it looks like you now have two strikes against you, not the correct income and a change of family size.
What is the case when a person is well below the income requirement using the past year/s w2? Are the rejected?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: