Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 09:29 AM

24 posts, read 46,102 times

Advertisements

I submitted an application for myself and was selected for an interview. However, my household size changed. I lived with my fiance who have a son. Can I include her in the app now? Will she need to come with me, even if she's not in the application? How does this change my chances of getting an apartment? Will I also have to include her in the income? Please note that we are both female. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2016, 11:02 AM

4,769 posts, read 6,558,555 times
Wow, this is a tricky one. Basically, when you're at the interview, you have to ask all these questions.

I think the bottom line is that if you're now living alone, and plan on taking the apartment by yourself, your income has to be in the range for an apartment in that building. Your ex may have to submit a letter saying that you are no longer living together, but I assume that wouldn't be an obstacle.

I would just go by myself to the interview and submit all the documents requested. I think they realize that people's lives change. Maybe others in a similar situation will weigh in. Best of luck, and please report back!

Old 03-12-2016, 11:32 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,938,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Wow, this is a tricky one. Basically, when you're at the interview, you have to ask all these questions.

I think the bottom line is that if you're now living alone, and plan on taking the apartment by yourself, your income has to be in the range for an apartment in that building. Your ex may have to submit a letter saying that you are no longer living together, but I assume that wouldn't be an obstacle.

I would just go by myself to the interview and submit all the documents requested. I think they realize that people's lives change. Maybe others in a similar situation will weigh in. Best of luck, and please report back!

IIRC up until the lease is signed all and any changes in household size and income must be reported. That is if you marry, divorce, shack-up with, etc.. anything where the income and or number of adults are living in the apartment changes from the time application was submitted until when or if a lease is signed.

The obvious reason for disclosure is that unless the other adult's name is on the lease they will lack certain legal protections. It is possible to add someone's name to a lease afterwards but someone turning around just a few months after signing a lease and wanting now to add another adult is bound to raise a few eyebrows.

Old 03-13-2016, 09:48 AM

189 posts, read 189,945 times
You should be fine if you add another person.

Old 03-13-2016, 12:44 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,233,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRETTYINPINK104 View Post
I would say the opposite

Old 03-13-2016, 06:12 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,938,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRETTYINPINK104 View Post
No, I don't believe that is correct.

For one thing the application and vetting process are for all adults who will be living in apartment. There are apartments for singles, two adults, etc.. The OP applied as a "single" which means either a studio or perhaps a one bedroom. Now she wants to add another adult and child. While you or I may be happy with two adults living in a studio (with or with out a child), developer and City may have other ideas.

Also again up until now only the OP's employment, financials, and income and other information has been investigated. Now she wishes to add another adult which changes first and foremost the household income and size.

Old 03-13-2016, 06:24 PM

4,769 posts, read 6,558,555 times
I'm sorry, I interpreted your original question completely backward. However, my advice remains the same. Your girlfriend should go with you on the interview, and bring all her documents too. However, considering the income from both of you, would you still qualify? That's the most important thing. If you're over the limit by even $50, you will be disqualified.

Also, I'm not 100% sure how the process works, but you will have to show that you are financially dependent on each other and are a family. The 80/20 system isn't set up for roommate situations. It is for families. So if you have joint checking and savings accounts, stuff like that, so much the better. If you care for her child when she's at work, or if you consider yourself a parent to co-parent, that's good too.

Last edited by macnyc2003; 03-13-2016 at 06:55 PM..

Old 03-13-2016, 10:00 PM

189 posts, read 189,945 times
I can only speak for my own experience and they asked me if I wanted to add another person and I said no but the interview is to see where you stand Btwn the income

Old 03-14-2016, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post

Hi, thank you for the advise. Will do return with updates!

Old 03-14-2016, 08:06 AM

Default income range

That's another concern I have. My income is approx $38k annually. For a one bedroom monthly rent of $845 income range is $30-35 or monthly rent of $1,214 income range is 43-58. I'm afraid that I will be disqualify because I'm out of the range or how does this work? Thank you for your time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: