Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 09:14 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,571,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
One of my favorite things about NYC is the Els

I just think they look really cool, my favorite is probably the 7 train in Long Island City
Funny that you like the Els. There is one in my neighborhood as well.
I agree, it feels very New York
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2016, 03:29 PM

18,371 posts, read 31,475,415 times
I have the "D" train up the corner, I feel the same way as everybody else, it's somehow a comforting sound, for some odd reason, been in the same apt close to 30 years. Sleep like a baby, doesn't bother me at all.

Depending on which way the wind blows you hear the sound of it more or less, but my street is a station so it is slowing down or on the other side pulling out.....

I like the clickety clack rhythmatic sounds trains make...................

Old 03-14-2016, 09:03 PM

8,913 posts, read 4,705,448 times
I used to live in an apt where the back faced the train tracks. Could hear the train (LIR, Amtrack) if the windows were open. Didn't bother me at all. I found it soothing on summer nights. Odd. Don't know why. Maybe because the sound was rhythmic and muffled & while drifting off to sleep it kept me company.

Now, when visiting my mom's apt I hear the airplanes flying overhead constantly. It's unbearable at times during the summer with the windows open. Now that is not a soothing sound at all.

Old 03-15-2016, 09:30 AM

782 posts, read 852,987 times
I lived in a building on 4th avenue that was right above the 59th St stop in Sunset Park for a year.
I would feel the rumble from every passing R Train underneath. It was actually kind of cool, like constant reminder of where you are.

I now live within earshot of the Q/B in Brooklyn, i find it soothing.

But a family member of mine lives on Austin St right by the LIRR tracks, and I must say the sound of those trains is very unpleasant.

Old 03-15-2016, 03:26 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,400,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Funny that you like the Els. There is one in my neighborhood as well.
I agree, it feels very New York
Yes, I've liked them as long as I can remember! When I was a kid I used to love when we'd drive through the Bronx and see like 3-4 of them.

And to this day, I still enjoy their presence

Quote:
Originally Posted by funcrusher3000 View Post
I lived in a building on 4th avenue that was right above the 59th St stop in Sunset Park for a year.
I would feel the rumble from every passing R Train underneath. It was actually kind of cool, like constant reminder of where you are.

I now live within earshot of the Q/B in Brooklyn, i find it soothing.

But a family member of mine lives on Austin St right by the LIRR tracks, and I must say the sound of those trains is very unpleasant.
Are the LIRR trains just not cool enough?

Old 03-15-2016, 06:24 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,155,215 times
Thread reminds me of this song...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy3VrmjGWjo

Old 03-16-2016, 11:39 AM

443 posts, read 433,659 times
I used to live a few blocks from the 7. You would only hear it at night, that and the LIRR. I liked it. It was also within LaGuardia's "landing zone" and we'd get a lot of airplane traffic - especially when the weather was cloudy/raining. That was annoying. When we got used to it, we barely noticed it.

Old 03-16-2016, 10:54 PM

116 posts, read 352,697 times
I grew up a block and a half from an elevated train (Was the D train for a long time and then they swapped the B and D routes in Brooklyn). Like everyone else in the thread, I found it comforting most of the time, the rest of the time I didn't notice it at all.

Old 03-17-2016, 02:25 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,571,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paris Brooklyn View Post
Guess it doesn't lower rent or peoperties values....
This is what I'm wondering too - I wonder if it does?

It's interesting how so many say they find the subway noise comforting.
(yet don't find other noise the same - even the LIRR, the airplanes, etc.)

Old 03-17-2016, 10:52 AM

18,371 posts, read 31,475,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
This is what I'm wondering too - I wonder if it does?

It's interesting how so many say they find the subway noise comforting.
(yet don't find other noise the same - even the LIRR, the airplanes, etc.)
i think because to me the train is not a piercing noise and has a somewhat rhythm to it.
where as a plane landing, completely makes me insane. i despise the noise it makes with every ounce of my being, it just isnt a pleasant noise to hear.....

go figure..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City