Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 03:26 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Agreed. They just look weird now.
Yeah, some of the fixtures they chose look really ugly but I guess we'll get used to them over time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 05:12 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,856,184 times
Weird. I guess I got used to them too without even realizing it. When they were installed outside my building, and right outside my bedroom window I was pretty angry and thought they looked terrible, very institutional and make people look like corpses, but after seeing this thread I realized I haven't even though about it since then. Brains are crazy.

Old 06-22-2016, 10:52 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
LED streetlights: Doctors issue warning - CNN.com

They're not great for health - melatonin suppression and disturbed sleep. The docs are recommending the light visual temp be no higher than 3000K, and that they be shielded (they shouldn't shine into people's windows for a start, just downwards onto the street).

Class action lawsuit against the city should make em fix it.

Old 06-22-2016, 12:20 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
^ you have to wonder why changing these lights were never thought out for human health.
it just seems like everything is a money thing.
the lights are terrible for driving, they shine right in your face and are disturbing.

Old 06-22-2016, 12:56 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
^ you have to wonder why changing these lights were never thought out for human health.
the lights are terrible for driving, they shine right in your face and are disturbing.
New LED lights weren't a money thing they were a common sense thing. Less maintenance to replace, less use of electricity, and better lit streets. Obviously no one was paying attention to how bright is too bright but they'll eventually adapt to the doctor recommendations

Old 06-22-2016, 02:43 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,541,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Beth View Post
There are complaints about this in just about every neighbourhood where they arrive.
I just changed all the hi hats in my home to LED (2700k). I received the same complaints from just about everyone in my home. Wife made me install dimmers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Interesting article, although the opening line grated on me...

"The American Medical Association (AMA) has just adopted an official policy statement about street lighting: cool it and dim it."

According to the actual article, it seems the AMA wants what would be a warmer temperature, not a cooler one. If the writer wanted to be cute, he should have learned a little more about the topic.

While not mentioned in the article, I wonder if a filter on the light enclosure would solve both problems. Lower the light temp and dim it a little. That might be less costly than replacing the LED themselves.

Old 06-24-2016, 10:28 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Anyone else noticing more stars in the sky as the light pollution fades?

I gotta say no, and I look often and carefully.
Although Mars was nicely visible near the full moon this week.

I hope you are right, ABG.

Old 06-24-2016, 11:51 AM

19,048 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I gotta say no, and I look often and carefully.
Although Mars was nicely visible near the full moon this week.

I hope you are right, ABG.
I'm probably noticing it more because it is already one of the "darker" areas of the city all things considered. Especially on the Korean War Veteran's Parkway it seems particularly noticeable to me.

Old 06-24-2016, 01:03 PM
bg7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe461 View Post
I just changed all the hi hats in my home to LED (2700k). I received the same complaints from just about everyone in my home. Wife made me install dimmers.

Interesting article, although the opening line grated on me...

"The American Medical Association (AMA) has just adopted an official policy statement about street lighting: cool it and dim it."

According to the actual article, it seems the AMA wants what would be a warmer temperature, not a cooler one. If the writer wanted to be cute, he should have learned a little more about the topic.

While not mentioned in the article, I wonder if a filter on the light enclosure would solve both problems. Lower the light temp and dim it a little. That might be less costly than replacing the LED themselves.
That might work - probably a relatively cheap fix like you say

Old 06-24-2016, 01:05 PM
bg7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I now make a conscious effort not to look at them during night time driving, they lead to a temporary glare halo if I accidentally do look directly at them. I've got 20/20 vision too!

It seesm unthinkable they didn't seriously study this before making a widespread change. I guess they just listened to the LED industry-sponsored consultants' report.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: