Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 05:39 PM

86 posts, read 119,666 times

Advertisements

My mother's family goes back to nyc since before 1850. So I come from a long line of new yorkers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 05:39 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
My mother and grandmother were both born here, but I wasn't born or raised here. However, I live here now, and have for more than 10 years. Does that make me a third generation New Yorker? Not sure.

Some people on this board love to throw around the word "transplant" in a disparaging manner when it comes to people like me moving from another US city to live in "their" city. So, I'm either in that very special category of 3rd generation New Yorker or I'm a hated transplant. Go figure.

You should read my definition of actual "transplant" on another thread - cannot even recall which one ...
But yesterday, day before. I think it was the woman asking for transplant stories.

Old 03-19-2016, 05:44 PM

86 posts, read 119,666 times
Default true nyer

Now my daughter is the next line of new yorker....so she's definitely further down the line on both my mother's side of my family and my father's side of my family. My daughter's 4th generation of new yorker on my father's father side and 5th generation on my mother's father side and who knows how many generations on my mother's mother side since her mother's mothers mothers family was here since before 1850.

Old 03-19-2016, 05:46 PM

669 posts, read 1,273,241 times
Most NYer's I know including myself are 1st or 2nd generation I know a few 3rd generation mostly the African Americans, Italians and Jews I know.

Old 03-20-2016, 02:57 AM

415 posts, read 513,911 times
My grandmother and my daughter are both D.A.R.'s.

You're welcome.

Old 03-20-2016, 06:52 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,629,510 times
My kids may be 3rd generation NYers on their father's side. He was born here, and his parents lived here since they were teenagers (his mother from the south and his father from another country). Or maybe that makes them second generation? I know a lot of people who would be 3rd generation with a detour to the suburbs -- their family lived here but left during the great suburban migration--and the "kids" returned to NYC as adults.

Old 03-20-2016, 07:17 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
You should read my definition of actual "transplant" on another thread - cannot even recall which one ...
But yesterday, day before. I think it was the woman asking for transplant stories.
I was not referring to you or your personal definition; I was referring to the way the term is thrown around on the forum. The fact that you have made up your own personal definition of the term has no bearing on what I said.

Old 03-20-2016, 08:27 AM

19,031 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
The fact that you have made up your own personal definition of the term has no bearing on what I said.
If Harlem said it, it's gospel. Get on board or prepare to be labeled stupid from now on.

I was actually born in NC, but only because my father took a detour to serve our country. I mostly grew up on the same block he spent his whole childhood on, and my grandfather and great grandfather grew up about a mile away from that block.

Old 03-20-2016, 11:59 AM

Quote:
I was not referring to you or your personal definition; I was referring to the way the term is thrown around on the forum. The fact that you have made up your own personal definition of the term has no bearing on what I said.
Uh ... okay.

That's great !

Old 03-20-2016, 12:01 PM

Besides both of us, probably half the people we know have been here for four or five generations (?).

Many of our friends (and definitely acquaintances) tend to be foreign nationals, met professionally or abroad.

No idea what the "average" might be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: