Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 04:52 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsmez View Post
My husband and I (42 and 38) have been living in a 1BR co-op in Sunnyside, Queens for the past 10 years. We like Sunnyside, but we are tired of apartment living and are looking for a single family home somewhere within a reasonable commute to midtown. Since SFHs cost at least 800K in any decent area of Queens and our budget is more in the 500-600K region, we are looking at the Bronx (and lower Westchester) to see if we can find something that works for us.

We both have jobs within walking distance of Grand Central, so the Metro North would be an ok option, but I would rather have the subway as an option too. The areas that are served by the B, D and 4 trains (I've looked at University Heights, Fordham Heights, Norwood, etc.) would be best commute-wise, but I am reading very mixed things on the safety of this area. Belmont seems nice (and I like the Arthur Ave. area) but it's rather far from the subway. I've seen some nice homes in Allerton but that area also seems like it might be questionable, with the Parkside Projects right there in the middle of everything. Riverdale/Marble Hill/Kingsbridge seems safe enough, but finding a SFH under 600K seems to be a challenge, and the 1 train is not the most convenient option for us in terms of commute.

So, is there any other area I should be considering? I haven't investigated Pelham Bay much due to the long trip on the 6. Eastchester, Wakefield and Edenwald also seem a bit far - at that point I'd almost rather go to Westchester and just take the Metro North.

One other item of note: DH has an 18 year old daughter who may choose to come and live with us after she finishes high school in May. She has lived a fairly sheltered suburban existence, so finding a safe neighborhood that won't intimidate her too badly is important.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any insight or advice you can offer. Thanks in advance!
You might want to think about Morris Park/Pelham Gardens, somewhere near either the Morris Park or Pelham Parkway stop on the 5 train. There are rush hour 5 express trains ( about 35 mis to Grand Central) and there will be Morris Park metro north service in a couple of years.They are already beginning on the station.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2016, 06:22 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,632,098 times
We've lived in a detached house (not single family) in Bedford Park since 2004. I really like the neighborhood - it's convenient, nice looking and green. We have friends in CT and walk down to Fordham to take the Metro North from there. My husband commutes daily on the Metro North, but I hate being tied to the schedule and almost always take the subway (and it's a lot cheaper too as you know).

There are some single family houses on larger lots here that are really beautiful - please buy one! Honestly, they are in danger of developers buying them and knocking them down to build on the whole lot - this has happened already on Decatur Avenue several times. But the truth is that heating these large detached Victorians is super expensive! If we were looking again, we would consider an attached house for the reduced heating costs. I'd take a look at Perry Ave. if something comes available, it's really charming.

For Norwood, I'd consider looking in the western part of the neighborhood, closer to Montifiore, but houses are pretty expensive there because they are often bought by doctors to use for their offices.

Woodlawn is very nice too and you have way more options for buying houses up there. It just depends if you are looking for an urban or suburban environment. We prefer Bedford Park for the subway and convenience of walking since we don't have a car or like to drive. But one of my best friends just bought a house in Woodlawn and paid within your price range and found a big space with a garage too.

Like Bluedog said, the Pelham Parkway area is another option you should look into. It was developed later so the houses tend to be not as old - there are pros and cons to that. You can also get into the Botanical Gardens from that side--I didn't know that for a long time.

Old 03-20-2016, 07:43 PM

29 posts, read 46,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
You might want to think about Morris Park/Pelham Gardens, somewhere near either the Morris Park or Pelham Parkway stop on the 5 train. There are rush hour 5 express trains ( about 35 mis to Grand Central) and there will be Morris Park metro north service in a couple of years.They are already beginning on the station.
Bluedog, thank you for this! I just googled and it looks like the station will be on the southeast side of the medical center - very convenient. I will have to give this area a lot more thought.

Old 03-20-2016, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
We've lived in a detached house (not single family) in Bedford Park since 2004. I really like the neighborhood - it's convenient, nice looking and green. We have friends in CT and walk down to Fordham to take the Metro North from there. My husband commutes daily on the Metro North, but I hate being tied to the schedule and almost always take the subway (and it's a lot cheaper too as you know).

There are some single family houses on larger lots here that are really beautiful - please buy one! Honestly, they are in danger of developers buying them and knocking them down to build on the whole lot - this has happened already on Decatur Avenue several times. But the truth is that heating these large detached Victorians is super expensive! If we were looking again, we would consider an attached house for the reduced heating costs. I'd take a look at Perry Ave. if something comes available, it's really charming.

For Norwood, I'd consider looking in the western part of the neighborhood, closer to Montifiore, but houses are pretty expensive there because they are often bought by doctors to use for their offices.

Woodlawn is very nice too and you have way more options for buying houses up there. It just depends if you are looking for an urban or suburban environment. We prefer Bedford Park for the subway and convenience of walking since we don't have a car or like to drive. But one of my best friends just bought a house in Woodlawn and paid within your price range and found a big space with a garage too.

Like Bluedog said, the Pelham Parkway area is another option you should look into. It was developed later so the houses tend to be not as old - there are pros and cons to that. You can also get into the Botanical Gardens from that side--I didn't know that for a long time.
Yodel, thank you for your input. We went for a little drive today and drove around Bedford Park and Norwood a bit, but I didn't find anything I would have described as nice looking or green - maybe we weren't in the best areas? We stayed north of Bedford Park Blvd and east of Grand Concourse on both sides of Mosholu Pkway. Maybe we were just on the wrong blocks. I'm hoping to find time to head up there this week on the D to check it out on foot - it seems like the type of neighborhood that is better appreciated that way. Good to know about the heating costs, though. We looked at a 1500 sq ft place in Kingsbridge today and the owner said the heating bills alone were around $400 a month in the winter - I can only imagine what those huge Victorians would cost!

We also went up to Woodlawn and really liked the area, although it seems a bit cramped. We'll definitely keep it in mind, especially those blocks closest to the Metro North and the 233 stop on the 2.

Old 03-21-2016, 09:25 AM

304 posts, read 364,398 times
Let me ask you something. In all seriousness. How passionate are you about sustaining the affordability of New York City, within reason? The South Bronx right now is the epitome of New York's diamond in the rough. I don't care what anybody says, Mott Haven and Port Morris are the must buy hoods right now.

I know, I know, what you're thinking. But this is New York and when the NY TIMES covers a neighborhood as "must buy" it's already too late. The diamonds' in the rough of NYC are just that much rougher, but this is a tough city regardless.

I know this may be too much quality of life for you to sacrifice, but because you are aiming to own and not rent, this could be a huge return for you in the future. The South Bronx has excellent train access to the Grand Central Area onear the 4, 5, and 6 trains. If I'm not mistaken on the 4 train you could potentially be in midtown in less than 15 minutes from Mott Haven. The area already has a burgeoning art scene along Bruckner Blvd, and will soon be very similar to Williamsburg. The housing stock is nice too with old art deco buildings and brownstones priced rather low.

I'm not telling you to move to Mott Haven. This would be an extreme example and would probably result in no driveway or yard space like you wanted. But perhaps some of the other neighboring communities. You could buy something and perhaps sell it in several years if you have children.

You also didn't mention if you had kids or not. I assume no? Of you had kids I wouldn't have pushed the issue of looking in the South Bronx

Old 03-21-2016, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy_407 View Post
Let me ask you something. In all seriousness. How passionate are you about sustaining the affordability of New York City, within reason? The South Bronx right now is the epitome of New York's diamond in the rough. I don't care what anybody says, Mott Haven and Port Morris are the must buy hoods right now.

I know, I know, what you're thinking. But this is New York and when the NY TIMES covers a neighborhood as "must buy" it's already too late. The diamonds' in the rough of NYC are just that much rougher, but this is a tough city regardless.

I know this may be too much quality of life for you to sacrifice, but because you are aiming to own and not rent, this could be a huge return for you in the future. The South Bronx has excellent train access to the Grand Central Area onear the 4, 5, and 6 trains. If I'm not mistaken on the 4 train you could potentially be in midtown in less than 15 minutes from Mott Haven. The area already has a burgeoning art scene along Bruckner Blvd, and will soon be very similar to Williamsburg. The housing stock is nice too with old art deco buildings and brownstones priced rather low.

I'm not telling you to move to Mott Haven. This would be an extreme example and would probably result in no driveway or yard space like you wanted. But perhaps some of the other neighboring communities. You could buy something and perhaps sell it in several years if you have children.

You also didn't mention if you had kids or not. I assume no? Of you had kids I wouldn't have pushed the issue of looking in the South Bronx
Tommy, thanks for your input. For myself, I would have reservations. I am white, blonde and 6 feet tall, so I have a hard time blending/making myself inconspicuous. I get a lot of unwanted attention on the street when I go up to Harlem, etc., and I would imagine the South Bronx would be much worse. I would have to check out the exact blocks that would be involved in my daily commute and see how I felt about it. My husband (also white) would probably have similar reservations.

However, although we don't have children together (nor are we planning to), my husband has an 18 year old daughter from a previous marriage. Part of the reason we are considering moving is because she has said she would like to live with us and perhaps attend college in NYC (if she can get accepted at a CUNY school, which is a big if). Anyway, she has lived a very sheltered life with her mother in a suburb of St. Louis and is EXTREMELY intimidated by NYC. She has yet to ride the subway by herself and doesn't like to walk to the grocery store on our corner of Queens Blvd. kind of intimidated. There is a 0% chance she would come to live with us if we moved to the South Bronx, which kind of defeats the purpose of moving!

Old 03-22-2016, 08:25 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:
Tommy, thanks for your input. For myself, I would have reservations. I am white, blonde and 6 feet tall, so I have a hard time blending/making myself inconspicuous. I get a lot of unwanted attention on the street when I go up to Harlem, etc., and I would imagine the South Bronx would be much worse. I would have to check out the exact blocks that would be involved in my daily commute and see how I felt about it. My husband (also white) would probably have similar reservations.

However, although we don't have children together (nor are we planning to), my husband has an 18 year old daughter from a previous marriage. Part of the reason we are considering moving is because she has said she would like to live with us and perhaps attend college in NYC (if she can get accepted at a CUNY school, which is a big if). Anyway, she has lived a very sheltered life with her mother in a suburb of St. Louis and is EXTREMELY intimidated by NYC. She has yet to ride the subway by herself and doesn't like to walk to the grocery store on our corner of Queens Blvd. kind of intimidated. There is a 0% chance she would come to live with us if we moved to the South Bronx, which kind of defeats the purpose of moving!
I understand your reservations, but for the most part white people don't even stick out in Harlem anymore for the most part. The South Bronx is a little different, but I don't think being white would be a serious issue . I think I actually saw white tourists in Moft Haven! Good for them though, that to me is more interesting than seeing the Statue of Liberty.

But your step daughter will have to change her perception or she will be miserable in NYC regardless of where she lives.

Old 03-22-2016, 09:09 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Not all of the Bronx is a "downgrade". There are some nice areas that have withstood the test of time but many don't really know about them. I second bluedog's recommendation of Morris Park and Pelham Gardens. I lived in Pelham Parkway off WPR, but that area is predominately urban - co-ops mostly and condos here and there. I also wouldn't write the Pelham Bay area off due to long commute. The Bronx is a big borough so expect the commute to be longish. The nice thing about these areas is that they have an express bus. You don't have to take the train if that isn't what you desire. There's enough diversity so that you don't feel weird being white. These areas also tend to have a mixed suburban/urban feel (tree lined streets, nearby parks) but still accessible to groceries, etc.

As for your stepdaughter, even though she was raised in suburbia and is a bit intimidated by an urban environment, she may come around. Many young people migrate to the city to follow employment and social opportunities. It is kind of a tossup because she may not like urban life at all. Both of our kids are being raised in suburbia and I know one of them is the least likely to move to a city -- she doesn't have any interest in urban life.

Old 03-22-2016, 02:18 PM

Thanks for your input. I know my stepdaughter is going to need to get over it if she moves here - we have been trying hard to help her get acquainted with the city and to understand city life, but thus far she is still very timid. We shall see. She's here this week so I'm thinking a field trip to the Bronx might be in order! We need to see how the commute to Pelham Bay is, and what the neighborhood is like. I have found a number of properties online that might suit our needs up there, but online doesn't tell you anything about the real feel of a place!

As for the racial issues, I'm not concerned so much about being white as about being tall and blonde (and with a curvaceous figure that seems to attract a lot of attention). I have been harassed multiple times in many neighborhoods, but never as much as when I'm in Harlem.

Old 03-22-2016, 02:29 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:
Thanks for your input. I know my stepdaughter is going to need to get over it if she moves here - we have been trying hard to help her get acquainted with the city and to understand city life, but thus far she is still very timid. We shall see. She's here this week so I'm thinking a field trip to the Bronx might be in order! We need to see how the commute to Pelham Bay is, and what the neighborhood is like. I have found a number of properties online that might suit our needs up there, but online doesn't tell you anything about the real feel of a place!

As for the racial issues, I'm not concerned so much about being white as about being tall and blonde (and with a curvaceous figure that seems to attract a lot of attention). I have been harassed multiple times in many neighborhoods, but never as much as when I'm in Harlem.
hey, at least you're still turning necks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City