Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2016, 03:13 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times

Advertisements

The state senate would have to approve this mind you, but it's still an interesting start.

Assembly budget includes dollars for Rockaway Beach Branch study - Second Ave. Sagas :: Second Ave. Sagas

The Rockaway Beach LIRR branches away from the mainline and goes all the way to the Rockaways. The A is running over a long portion of the Rockaway Beach LIRR. The unused parts are rusted with big trees growing on them and would need to be completely rebuilt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 04:56 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,689,104 times
Where would the stop be? I know there is a stop in Far Rock. Would it be further West on the peninsula?

Old 03-19-2016, 07:04 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
Where would the stop be? I know there is a stop in Far Rock. Would it be further West on the peninsula?
They would use the abandoned trackage between Rego Park and Ozone Park. If you take the A train to the Rockaways, you see some abandoned tracks going off into the distance. That's the abandoned portion of the Rockaway Beach LIRR. They could either reconnect it to the LIRR, or they could connect it to the subway.

Old 03-22-2016, 08:51 PM

47 posts, read 45,031 times
While the trip through brooklyn accounts for the long commute, many problems arise just from not being able to get over the damn water some days. The RBB won't solve that.

Also, I've looked at some of the suggestions that commenters made on that article about tie ins to other lines and none of the subway hookups look attractive. Even if your able to fly up woodhaven blvd, unless your connecting at an express stop, youre going to crawl to midtown. Plus the Queens blvd lines are crowded. Or maybe they are just crowded on the rare occasions that I take it.

Old 03-22-2016, 09:48 PM

436 posts, read 565,011 times
The lines are crowded during rush hours but not really bad otherwise.

Old 03-23-2016, 05:52 AM

43,652 posts, read 44,375,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zxephyr View Post
While the trip through brooklyn accounts for the long commute, many problems arise just from not being able to get over the damn water some days. The RBB won't solve that.

Also, I've looked at some of the suggestions that commenters made on that article about tie ins to other lines and none of the subway hookups look attractive. Even if your able to fly up woodhaven blvd, unless your connecting at an express stop, youre going to crawl to midtown. Plus the Queens blvd lines are crowded. Or maybe they are just crowded on the rare occasions that I take it.
The local trains are not that crowded. But I think the E express is relatively crowded during the daytime hours.

Any way a Rego Park-Rockaway Beach line would help people that want to go between Queens-Brooklyn directly (like the G train).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City