Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 12:20 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times

Advertisements

To be honest, it would be pretty cool if subway service somehow ended up in Nassau County.

But that would never happen, as none of the lines in Queens go anywhere near the Nassau County border, except for the A train.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 03:32 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
To be honest, it would be pretty cool if subway service somehow ended up in Nassau County.

But that would never happen, as none of the lines in Queens go anywhere near the Nassau County border, except for the A train.

Again, LIRR already has extensive service in Queens, so why would NYC or NYS (the latter owns the MTA who in turn runs NYCT), to duplicate what already exists?

MTA LIRR - LIRR Map

If anything the MTA could examine a pricing ticketing system along the lines of say the Metro in Paris. Fares are based upon how far one is traveling be it on a subway or commuter rail to the suburbs. The system is divided up by rings that move outwards from center of Paris; the further out you go fares increase. However transfers are available within the system to go from "subway" to commuter train and vice versa.

Old 03-22-2016, 04:01 PM

4,196 posts, read 4,077,595 times
Quote:

The LIRR is sort of a form of subway service in eastern Queens although much more expensive than a subway trip. On the main line and Port Washington branches it has several Queens stops and then connections in Queens to subway lines. Not many people use those stations but still some trains stop there. If the LIRR had pricing competitive with subway fares for transit just within NYC the Queens stations would probably get a lot more use.

Edit: just saw Bugsy's post, same idea.

Old 03-22-2016, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Again, LIRR already has extensive service in Queens, so why would NYC or NYS (the latter owns the MTA who in turn runs NYCT), to duplicate what already exists?

MTA LIRR - LIRR Map

If anything the MTA could examine a pricing ticketing system along the lines of say the Metro in Paris. Fares are based upon how far one is traveling be it on a subway or commuter rail to the suburbs. The system is divided up by rings that move outwards from center of Paris; the further out you go fares increase. However transfers are available within the system to go from "subway" to commuter train and vice versa.
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
The LIRR is sort of a form of subway service in eastern Queens although much more expensive than a subway trip. On the main line and Port Washington branches it has several Queens stops and then connections in Queens to subway lines. Not many people use those stations but still some trains stop there. If the LIRR had pricing competitive with subway fares for transit just within NYC the Queens stations would probably get a lot more use.

Edit: just saw Bugsy's post, same idea.
haha I didn't say I thought it was a good idea, I know why it's not feasible or necessary.

I just said it would be cool.

Old 03-22-2016, 04:16 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsence View Post
i ask this because the whole subway system doesn't leave NYC, AT ALL, not even for a block or two. What made me make this thread is thinking of the 2 and 5 trains in the Bronx especially the 2. The 2 train in the Bronx deadass stops right at the Bronx/Westchester county border and not an inch further. Today everything is so built up it's cost prohibitive to extend a subway to Yonkers or into Mt. Vernon but at one point these areas were rural.
Not sure whether anyone has mentioned it yet but one of the reasons subway service was never extended beyond NYC limits is because of fierce opposition by people in the neighboring communities. A lot of people in middle class suburban type areas think subways would bring "urban people" and "urban problems " into their communities. The same mentality even prevented subway extensions into more suburban like areas of Queens and The East Bronx many years ago. My guess is that a lot of the same opposition would arise once again at any proposal to extend subways.

Old 03-22-2016, 05:38 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
haha I didn't say I thought it was a good idea, I know why it's not feasible or necessary.

I just said it would be cool.

My dear people don't spend billions of dollars on infrastructure projects because they are "cool". Well sane and rational one don't anyway. If you didn't or don't think it was a good idea and know why the thing wasn't done, what is the purpose of starting threads about it? Only named mythical creatures who live under bridges do such things.

Old 03-22-2016, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
My dear people don't spend billions of dollars on infrastructure projects because they are "cool". Well sane and rational one don't anyway. If you didn't or don't think it was a good idea and know why the thing wasn't done, what is the purpose of starting threads about it? Only named mythical creatures who live under bridges do such things.
I never said I thought it was a good idea or should be funeded. I did not start this thread either, I simply said that it would be cool, as in interesting, if the subway were hypothetically extended to Nassau County. That would almost instantly change the entire vibe of whichever neighborhood it popped up in. Imagine how bizarre it would be being in Levittown and seeing a subway station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City