Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 03:12 PM

971 posts, read 1,379,581 times

Advertisements

In Rockland almost everyone says "the city" to mean Manhattan, and only Manhattan. If you are referring to the Bronx, or Queens, etc, you would say "the Bronx", "Queens" or whatever. People who I have known who lived in an outer borough also used the phrase "the city" in the same manner, meaning that a friend could be at his house in Queens and would say "lets go to the city tonight".

As others have said, I think this, in part, lingers from earlier times when Manhattan was separately incorporated from the other 4 boroughs. Also, I think a big part of it has to due with the fact that Manhattan is an island, and as such, is well defined in terms of being there or not - it helps it be separate, and maintain that "city" uniqueness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016, 03:32 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,835,652 times
Wheb I was growing up in the Bronx everyone referred to Manhattan as Manhattan. But if they wanted to be a little more specific they would say uptown, downtown, or way downtown. Only Manhattanites are neighborhood specific about Manhattan.

I never heard the phrase "the city" until I visited my cousins in Brooklyn. But I knew what they were referring to since I read the book "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn". I noticed then that Queens residents also referred to Manhattan as "the city". The Bronx just never referred to it as "the city".

However they refer to it NYers are never really think of Manhattan as a big deal. It is just another boro to us. I guess now I would be considered an old timer.

Old 03-21-2016, 03:39 PM

4,157 posts, read 4,008,951 times
Before I worked in Manhattan I called it the city. After years of working and hanging out there I only referred to it as Manhattan.

Old 03-21-2016, 04:36 PM

31 posts, read 29,662 times
It depends on who I'm speaking to I guess. We grew up saying that we're going into "the city" from Queens. Except for my first job, I always worked in Manhattan.

Old 03-22-2016, 08:05 AM

25,341 posts, read 36,832,279 times
When I lived iin Jersey City, I would say "into the City" when I meant New York (any borough but nearly always Manhattan.)
If I moved to Bethlehem, PA, calling NY "the City" would not work anymore since Philly is closer. (Unless I worked in one of these cities, then it would become "the City.")

Old 03-22-2016, 09:33 PM

13 posts, read 27,366 times
Born and raised in NYC and everyone I know calls Manhattan the City.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:38 PM

671 posts, read 848,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I live in Manhattan so Manhattan is Manhattan.

If I didn't live in Manhattan I would live in another state,
LOL

(Where is the middle finger emoticon????)

Old 03-22-2016, 10:41 PM

671 posts, read 848,954 times
I always associated people calling Manhattan "The City" with people from New Jersey or Long Island. Otherwise known as people who are not from New York City.

Being from Brooklyn, it was always Manhattan BUT after I moved to Manhattan, I realized that many New Yorkers (or people who are not New Yorkers but live in Manhattan or in the other boroughs ) also refer to it as "The City". I also know people who use both depending on the context or on the audience.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:55 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,088,672 times
I live on Staten Island, and I'm a proud resident of New York City. Therefore, I go to Manhattan, not "The City".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
I call Manhattan "the city". I think the bigger anomaly is how we say "the Bronx" rather than just "Bronx" ie 'I'm going to the Bronx' vs 'I'm going to Brooklyn'. I also have to say, Buckner Blvd really surprised me two weeks ago.
I think it has to do with the origins being coming from the name of the river (which has a Dutch spelling, though I forget what it is exactly)

Old 03-22-2016, 11:41 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,378,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manhattangirl View Post
I always associated people calling Manhattan "The City" with people from New Jersey or Long Island. Otherwise known as people who are not from New York City.

Being from Brooklyn, it was always Manhattan BUT after I moved to Manhattan, I realized that many New Yorkers (or people who are not New Yorkers but live in Manhattan or in the other boroughs ) also refer to it as "The City". I also know people who use both depending on the context or on the audience.
That's how I feel, calling Manhattan "the city" seems like it would be more of a Long Island/Westchester thing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: