Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2016, 01:52 PM

2 posts, read 3,156 times

Advertisements

I am new to this forum so unfortunately I do not know how to navigate it all that well.

Please excuse me if I am posting in the wrong area!

I was wondering if anyone could help me out.

My mother in law is from Kerala (specifically Kottayam) and it is her birthday in April.

Unfortunately I can not be with her because she lives in Australia and I am in New York.

I was wondering if anyone knows any good stores in NYC (especially in Queens) where I can get gifts that will remind her of home. Anything from good Malayali music, to movies and even art.

This would be really helpful because the only stores I can find are online and I would like to see the product in front of me.

Also if I am buying her music I want my wife to be able to hear it first to tell me whether or not she thinks her mother would enjoy it.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 03:04 PM

629 posts, read 962,046 times
There's probably some good options in Jackson Heights or Bellerose. We used to go to Maharaja Groceries in Belleros, owned by Malus, for food items, but they did sell some other stuff from Kerala - but there probably is a better option elsewhere. (My wife is from Kerala)

Old 03-22-2016, 03:45 PM

4,194 posts, read 4,077,595 times
Hillside Avenue in Floral Park from Little Neck Parkway to the Nassau County line has a lot of Indian businesses. I don't know what you are looking for but I bet you would find it there.

Old 03-23-2016, 12:54 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,415,819 times
Anyone have that old MC Vikram & Ludakrishna Flushing Brothers parody / skit? LOL!

Old 03-24-2016, 06:32 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Is it Malayalam, Malayali, or Malaysian, Malabar, or all four?

Check 74th Street in Jackson Heights. Mostly Indian but there might be some spillover.

Old 03-29-2016, 12:43 PM

2 posts, read 3,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Is it Malayalam, Malayali, or Malaysian, Malabar, or all four?

Check 74th Street in Jackson Heights. Mostly Indian but there might be some spillover.
From what I understand Malayalam and Malayali are the same thing right? But yes it is Malayalam not Malaysian or Malabar!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City