Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 07:32 PM

1,184 posts, read 720,013 times

Advertisements

I feel they run a vigorous background check...many non whites fail if they have a record?

Old 04-11-2016, 08:10 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedog9 View Post
I feel they run a vigorous background check...many non whites fail if they have a record?

Read through everything then draw your own conclusions.

Bottom line is the same Blacks and other protected minorities have used ever since various civil rights laws were passed; because they represent "X" amount of a population that number should be proportionate to the population of this or that service, housing, etc....

When you start from the premise that AAs make up "X" amount of the NYC population but only "X" amount of FDNY certain persons start to ask "why". Then the process of tail wagging the dog begins.

How We Got Here: New Law Aims to Increase Transparency and Diversity at the FDNY

FDNY's Black Firefighter Problem | Village Voice

https://ccrjustice.org/sites/default...030%202011.pdf

Old 04-11-2016, 08:33 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,573,369 times
Not only does New York City Fire Department deserve every penny that they get ,,,,,also California fire departments deserve everything that they get .As in any Job that may require the sacrifice of one's life in the line of DUTY.

Typed from Android Smartphone Format errors may.
....exist.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:13 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
So a conflict here:
Somebody said "Not racist because qualification is by testing and physical examination.
Another said "Not racism but nepotism.

(Are there determining traits that can tell family affiliation during a physical exam without DNA testing. Of course, one can certainly tell skin color.)

Occam's Razor says the simple answer is usually the correct one: Racism. (When you hear hoofbeats, don't look for zebras.)

Old 04-12-2016, 10:46 AM

113 posts, read 126,997 times
In 2016, as much as you all would love to believe the FDNY is full of racism, if a black firefighter comes in and is about working hard and becoming part of the firehouse he would be accepted and welcomed. However alot of the time they get hired on, they care more about filing lawsuits for discrimination than actually doing the job. I know from personal experience that white people were turned away from participating in prep classes for the fire exam in Jamaica Queens, so tell me who are the racists in the city these days?

Old 04-12-2016, 10:51 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,554,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaboarded View Post
I've been in and around this city for 13 years and though I don't know any firefighters personally, it has always struck me that the department is a bastion of old-school white dudes. I'm just curious as to how/why this is the case. Every engine I've ever seen is full of white guys, most looking pure-bred Irish. The other day, I actually saw a black engineer at the wheel and I thought to myself, "Oh my god, that firefighter is not white and they are letting him drive the truck!"

At a time when NYC demographics have never been more diverse, and less white, the FDNY seems like an anomaly. I can't think of another city agency that is so monochromatic.

Is there something in the selection process that deters applicants of color?

For whatever it's worth they also seem incredibly happy--polite, making jokes, being uncharacteristically courteous and holding open the door at Starbucks for old ladies in a me-me-me city. They are probably not like this when running into burning buildings, but, hey, maybe they are!

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!
You didn't look very far. Ever seen the corrections dept.? 86% minority. According to Kefir King and his razor that means racism.

Dept. Consumer affairs? 66% minority.

Dept. of health and mental hygiene? 75% minority

And others.
Dept. Parks - 70% minority
Dept. Probation - Nearly 90% minority.

All official NYC figures

Old 04-12-2016, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
You didn't look very far. Ever seen the corrections dept.? 86% minority. According to Kefir King and his razor that means racism.

Dept. Consumer affairs? 66% minority.

Dept. of health and mental hygiene? 75% minority

And others.
Dept. Parks - 70% minority
Dept. Probation - Nearly 90% minority.

All official NYC figures

You see the same thing in other parts of the country and or in some areas of the federal civil service, the USPS comes to mind; over representation by minorities in particular blacks. This has proved to be a double edged sword.

Long shut out of good civil service jobs many Blacks and other minorities jumped at the chance when things opened up. This has lead to one, two or more generations getting work in civil service. OTOH whites either moved themselves or their children into the private sector for various reasons. While civil service jobs are steady they don't always pay very well but do offer a pension.

Fast forward to modern times and when many state and local governments began slashing civil service payrolls it is the minorities that are feeling the pinch. Again just look at the USPS and who is fighting against various modernization and or cost cutting measures.

Old 04-12-2016, 03:42 PM

19,031 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Shush about those other jobs! All jobs should be all minority, so any that aren't 100% are failures!

Old 04-12-2016, 03:48 PM

1,757 posts, read 2,144,336 times
It's only racist when it's white. Duh

Old 04-12-2016, 04:01 PM

Just follow the money: Report on Pay, Demographics of Municipal Workforce Slips From Sight on Bloomberg Administration

Large portions of the NYC civil service jobs do not pay very well which easily translates into why not only whites but anyone else who can do better elsewhere, does. Things that do pay well such as FDNY, NYPD, DSNY, School Construction, trades, etc... are highly wanted but selective.

What is equally telling is that for the professions such as law; CUNY graduates end up often working for the City, but those from top law schools usually find employment elsewhere. When they do end up in say a DA's office it is part of a plan with long term career goals in mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City