Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 08:36 AM

107 posts, read 198,247 times

Advertisements

I've been in and around this city for 13 years and though I don't know any firefighters personally, it has always struck me that the department is a bastion of old-school white dudes. I'm just curious as to how/why this is the case. Every engine I've ever seen is full of white guys, most looking pure-bred Irish. The other day, I actually saw a black engineer at the wheel and I thought to myself, "Oh my god, that firefighter is not white and they are letting him drive the truck!"

At a time when NYC demographics have never been more diverse, and less white, the FDNY seems like an anomaly. I can't think of another city agency that is so monochromatic.

Is there something in the selection process that deters applicants of color?

For whatever it's worth they also seem incredibly happy--polite, making jokes, being uncharacteristically courteous and holding open the door at Starbucks for old ladies in a me-me-me city. They are probably not like this when running into burning buildings, but, hey, maybe they are!

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!

Old 03-26-2016, 09:12 AM

353 posts, read 471,116 times
Oh Boy...

Old 03-26-2016, 09:21 AM

12,200 posts, read 7,215,987 times
It's an inter-generational job. Most of them have fathers and grandfathers and great grand fathers that were FDNY.

We should be thankful we get such great and wonderful workforce willing to sacrifice their own lives for others, which not everyone is willing or even able to do.

When you are in a burning building, trust me, you won't care about them being white.

It's one of those few departments that if they ever ask for raises, I would never have a problem with that, as opposed to some other government entity (I'm looking at you slimy City Council) that just gave themselves a big raise.

Old 03-26-2016, 09:22 AM

34,018 posts, read 47,240,427 times
FWIW, I chose to be a fireman for career day in first grade

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-26-2016, 10:04 AM

1,998 posts, read 1,881,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
It's one of those few departments that if they ever ask for raises, I would never have a problem with that, as opposed to some other government entity (I'm looking at you slimy City Council) that just gave themselves a big raise.
NPR did a podcast discussing what a firefighter is worth, long story short they are drastically overpaid for the services they provide. This day and age, they are not enough fires to justify the cost. Many firefighters operate as overpaid EMT workers now a days.

Episode 424: How Much Is A Firefighter Worth? : Planet Money : NPR

Old 03-26-2016, 10:24 AM

8,103 posts, read 6,745,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
NPR did a podcast discussing what a firefighter is worth, long story short they are drastically overpaid for the services they provide. This day and age, they are not enough fires to justify the cost. Many firefighters operate as overpaid EMT workers now a days.

Firefighters aren't paid for what they do. They are paid for what they might have to do.

Old 03-26-2016, 10:24 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,231,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post

I'd rather have firefighters around then risk them not be and there being a fire.
Maybe there don't get many fire calls anymore but it takes just one fire that they risk their lives for that makes me able to be ok with their salaries.

Think of it like insurance. Its something you pay into, just in case.

Also I was around for 9-11. Knew firefighters, men who went into that building knew odds of coming out were not with them. So to argue they don't deserve their salary is bs to me.

Old 03-26-2016, 11:09 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,212,921 times
Oh cool, this thread again. I guess it needs to be done semi-annually? This has been discussed ad nauseam on here. Read through this thread to see all of what are most likely your pre-conceived thoughts and feelings on the matter being decimated by myself and a couple of others. Because I am honestly too lazy to get into right now:

Have you spotted the Fire Dept. "hiring" tables around your area?

Quote:
At a time when NYC demographics have never been more diverse, and less white, the FDNY seems like an anomaly. I can't think of another city agency that is so monochromatic.
Simply look to the Dept of Corrections as just one example. But I am sure you don't care to discuss that...

Old 03-26-2016, 11:14 AM

4,840 posts, read 9,911,437 times
Because they are all a bunch of evil, vile, racist, KKK, nazis, skinhead Hitlers.

Old 03-26-2016, 11:34 AM

3,672 posts, read 2,748,808 times
"cause dey raisis!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City