Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 03:04 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astorian31 View Post
I've ignored your posts for a while, but it's annoying. I get not everyone is going to support Bernie Sanders, but stop spreading misinformation. For most people, particularly the working class, their taxes will only go up 2.2%. For a person making 50k, that's a $1,100 tax increase. However, that person will no longer have to pay for health insurance. When the average person is paying over 2k a year, single payer health would be a huge money saver.
At least this is what you are told. Wait until reality seeps in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 06:27 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,637 times
Quote:
I've ignored your posts for a while, but it's annoying. I get not everyone is going to support Bernie Sanders, but stop spreading misinformation. For most people, particularly the working class, their taxes will only go up 2.2%. For a person making 50k, that's a $1,100 tax increase. However, that person will no longer have to pay for health insurance. When the average person is paying over 2k a year, single payer health would be a huge money saver.
What if I don't mind working to pay for stuff? I fork out $4k a year and my employer forks out close to $20k a year so that my family can have quality healthcare. I recently visited Canada and people there were telling me how horrible free healthcare was. Have a fever, or your child has a fever? Well get in line and wait 4 hours. Why should those that are willing to work for stuff have their quality of life diminished by those that don't?

Old 03-30-2016, 07:14 AM

436 posts, read 565,160 times
The Canada stuff is getting really old. If so many people were frustrated with the health care system there then why is it still in place? It can't be as bad as that small sample size of people are saying.

Old 03-30-2016, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier Azure View Post
The Canada stuff is getting really old. If so many people were frustrated with the health care system there then why is it still in place? It can't be as bad as that small sample size of people are saying.
Cause they have no choice, it'll be prohibitively expensive to reimplement a private healthcare framework to go against a govt sponsored one. If they did the same here and I have to wait 4 house for my son to see a doc then I would just deal with it. When there's no choice what are you gonna do? Currently people do have a choice and for those willing and able to pay, which is a shrinking group, we want to continue to have that choice without the gov't mandating us to use the same healthcare framework as the next guy who may have different priorities than me. And my priority is the health and well being of my family. I'd work multiple jobs to ensure this, but same can't be said about the next guy who doesn't mind getting free healthcare at the expense of people who don't mind paying. What's next double property taxes to pay for free housing?

Last edited by bumblebyz; 03-30-2016 at 07:46 AM..

Old 03-30-2016, 07:46 AM

Oh, enough fallacy. Canada isn't exactly a dictatorship. They have a democratic government there too, albeit parliamentary. No health care system is perfect and one is going to be paying for other people's services regardless of what one does. Health care is just one instance of a public good like police forces, firefighters, traffic signals, and many other things.

Old 03-30-2016, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Oh, enough fallacy. Canada isn't exactly a dictatorship. They have a democratic government there too, albeit parliamentary. No health care system is perfect and one is going to be paying for other people's services regardless of what one does. Health care is just one instance of a public good like police forces, firefighters, traffic signals, and many other things.
So it's a fallacy that I want to pay more money to get better service and the excuse is that healthcare is a public good? Why don't you get rid of private schools/daycares while you're at it. If private healthcare should be made a public good then I don't see why all educational and childcare services shouldn't be. If Columbia becomes a CUNY and Cornell a SUNY then I rest my case.

Last edited by bumblebyz; 03-30-2016 at 07:59 AM..

Old 03-30-2016, 08:29 AM

7,906 posts, read 7,888,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Why the South Bronx of all places? Why not Manhattan or a trendy part of Brooklyn like Williamsburg? Hope those BLM losers don't sabotage his rally again.
They're trying to get the minority votes. Hillary will be up at The Apollo the same day

Old 03-30-2016, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
So it's a fallacy that I want to pay more money to get better service and the excuse is that healthcare is a public good? Why don't you get rid of private schools/daycares while you're at it. If private healthcare should be made a public good then I don't see why all educational and childcare services shouldn't be. If Columbia becomes a CUNY and Cornell a SUNY then I rest my case.

Well...some of Cornell's individual colleges actually are partially funded by the state New York (the "land grant colleges), but that's another story.

And extremes aren't the only way to go about health care. Some aspects can be private or public.

Old 03-30-2016, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Well...some of Cornell's individual colleges actually are partially funded by the state New York (the "land grant colleges), but that's another story.

And extremes aren't the only way to go about health care. Some aspects can be private or public.
Well that I can agree with. And whether its public or private the costs need to be brought under control or else everyone not reaping the profits will suffer. I think in the coming decades you'll see technology bring some of the costs down just like in other industries. E.g. it's already a fact that computers can better diagnose cancer better than an individual doctor, machines are also more accurate and thorough than your local pharmacist, and etc. As the costs of those technologies come down hopefully special interest groups won't succeed in preventing a legal framework from being put in place in order to deploy those technologies.

Old 03-30-2016, 09:21 AM

3,672 posts, read 2,751,519 times
Quote:
2.2%? WAY OFF.

Vox's new presidential tax calculator - 2016 Election
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City