Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 12:32 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times

Advertisements

I guess he's disdaining Manhattan as having two many 1% people?

(The health-care comments are interesting, but wish you'd started another thread.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 12:33 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
should of been Brownsville
I think South Bronx is the obvious choice. Sanders has struggled with the black vote and l'm not sure if many people outside of the tristate area know Brownsville. Alternatively Harlem would have been a good choice as well.

Old 03-30-2016, 12:36 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,046,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
should of been Brownsville
Why? The south Bronx is poorer than Brownsville. He caters to the poor. Mott Haven is the perfect choice.

Old 03-30-2016, 01:08 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
I think South Bronx is the obvious choice. Sanders has struggled with the black vote and l'm not sure if many people outside of the tristate area know Brownsville. Alternatively Harlem would have been a good choice as well.
I think the South Bronx is an even better choice than Harlem, as there are more Latinos there and Bernie is also trailing Hillary among Latino voters if I'm not mistaken.

Old 03-30-2016, 01:48 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
South Bronx neighborhood of mott haven played an intricate role in the forging of America. One of the signers and writers of the Constitution is from mott haven Louis Morris and is still buried there. Capitol Hill and Lincoln Memorial were also built in segments in mott haven. Mott haven creates the perfect scope for Bernie. You have lots of immigrants, hispanics and also a growing Muslim population from Africa and middle east. You also have worries of gentrification creeping up across from Manhattan. Health issues such as asthma, diabetes and cancer that plagues mott haven. Than you have the have and have not of mott haven. Than you have lots of poor blacks who can't get a job and plague the Justice system. Bernie stop in the south Bronx is due to the climate of what is going on in the community. I should know. I see it everyday.

Old 03-30-2016, 01:51 PM

912 posts, read 1,131,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
ERs are a different animal, its like going to the doctor in Canada. There's usually a crowd of people at any given time that they need to prioritize by the severity of your situation.

The problem with your solution is that I don't currently have a problem to begin with. Its like I have a top notch cable package with HBO (paid mostly by my employer), and etc at home and now you're telling me that everyone should have the same inferior cable package and that I can subsidize it by buying DVDs (which likely won't be paid by my employer for obvious reasons). I mean I totally get the free healthcare for all thing. But in order for this to happen it'll have to come at the expense of other people, and its not necessarily monetary. Why don't they spend some time attacking some of the causes for the high cost of medical care first, e.g. capping malpractice awards, attract foreign doctors, and etc. I know there's lots of special interest preventing this, but they would do this if they're actually genuine in wanting to solve the problem instead of just socializing the problem so that we all get an equal slice.
I don't disagree that high medical care costs should be attacked as well, but you forget that private insurance contributes a great deal to high costs. 1/3 of what we spend on health care comes directly from hospital stays, and our current system contributes greatly to the high costs of hospitals. Not only do hospitals have to spend a ridiculous amount of money on their billing department thanks to the complexity of the system, they also ridiculously mark up their service because they know insurance companies have the power to negotiate costs to 1/5 of what you billed.

For example, lets say the hospital bills you $2500 for a CAT scan, and $1500 for an XRAY. If you have insurance, your insurance has the financial muscle to negotiate an $800 payment for everything, while if you don't have insurance, you're stuck with a $4000 bill you can't fight. Hospitals purposely mark up their bills because of this. They use that "loss" they take when accepting your insurance's payment to justify marking up their prices even more the following year. So we're stuck in a never ending inflation of prices for healthcare. With single payer health, the system that makes this possible no longer exists. It won't be a magic bullet, but it will significantly reduce costs.

You are also forgetting the fact that under single payer healthcare, your employer would still be paying for the most expensive aspects of your healthcare. Emergency services and necessary expensive procedures would be covered by the 6.6% tax increase on employers. If you have excellent health care, you can still have similar health care, for similar costs if you purchase supplemental private healthcare. What will probably change though, is the physicians you will see. I understand that may be frustrating for people with already excellent coverage, like you, but don't forget that single payer will go a long way in drastically reducing over all healthcare costs. If you don't change the system, then don't expect a system that is designed to be flawed, to magically fix itself.

Old 03-30-2016, 02:22 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,235,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Why the South Bronx of all places? Why not Manhattan or a trendy part of Brooklyn like Williamsburg?
Bernies not about being Trendy, he's about helping the people and people of the south Bronx need help!

Old 03-30-2016, 02:30 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
The only advice I can give South Bronx residents is to go to school. Take part in intramural like sports, arts, music along with going to school this helps with keeping out of trouble. Attend after school and tutoring. Don't get pregnant or allow the opposite sex to get pregnant. Avoid getting arrested at all costs. Be cool with the police. Following this kept me ahead of the game with most residents of my area. South Bronx or mott haven has been historically poor and high crime since the great depression era. Failed urban policy, failed all level government policy, disunity amongst the people, failed economics failed mott haven.

Old 03-30-2016, 03:44 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
"I'll up taxes by 25+% for anyone making more that $35k to buy you free everything!!!!"
Taxes already up 25% with Obama and I'm getting less services than before.

Old 03-30-2016, 08:54 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Why the South Bronx of all places? Why not Manhattan or a trendy part of Brooklyn like Williamsburg?
I'd expect he's trying to broaden his base not make his image be more the candidate for "young, hip, white people". He has several weeks till the NY primary, he'll probably do another NYC rally perhaps in Brooklyn. Probably not Williamsburg, though.

President have visited the South Bronx, it's the most well-known of poor NYC neighborhoods, unless Harlem counts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City