U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 02:45 PM

1,992 posts, read 5,138,488 times
^^ Thanks, Henna.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 03:07 PM

37 posts, read 160,551 times
hey thanks for all the good suggestions.

my monthly budget is $1500 including rents. I want to live somewhere close to Manhattan in Queens, so I can have some extra money to party in Manhattan. If I live in Manhattan with rent 1500 per month, I will feel guilty going to clubbing every Friday night since I don't have much extra $$ for fun.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:19 PM

274 posts, read 760,582 times
"Ace, clearly the OP is on a budget and he's already done his homework. He knows he can get a studio for $1000 in Elmhurst, which is 4 subway stops from Manhattan, whereas a studio in Manhattan will cost at least $1600, and he'll still most likely have to pay for the monthly metrocard. So maybe you should consider that he needs that extra $600 to pay for groceries and other expenses."

He's shelling out hundreds of thousands for NYU tuition, as opposed to a cheap public school in Podunk, because he wants the "NYC" experience. He ain't gonna get that in Elmhurst.

"And, as for Elmhurst being "Siberia" - that just shows how little you know about how easy it is to get there from Manhattan. I am assuming you've never been there."

Most people who go to NYU would consider it Siberia.

"Maybe you have one of the daddies that is paying for you to live the Sex in the City life (per your post on another thread today), but the OP clearly doesn't. So let's help him out and give him some advice he can actually use."

Elmhurst sucks. Get over it.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:23 PM

274 posts, read 760,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filler View Post
hey thanks for all the good suggestions.

my monthly budget is $1500 including rents. I want to live somewhere close to Manhattan in Queens, so I can have some extra money to party in Manhattan. If I live in Manhattan with rent 1500 per month, I will feel guilty going to clubbing every Friday night since I don't have much extra $$ for fun.
I assume you want to drink, party, and meet girls? Just know that living in Manhattan makes it a whole lot easier to meet girls.

In other cities, girls ask you what you do for a living. In Manhattan, girls ask you where you live.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:27 PM

1,992 posts, read 5,138,488 times
Ace, in all honesty: Are you even from NYC? Yes, Elmhurst is no West Village, but it is still a part of NYC. The OP needs to find some sort of housing that is affordable. Let us help this person out. Even the OP knows they can't afford to live in Manhattan. That's life. Also, I wouldn't go around calling areas "Siberia" if you don't know anything about them. I know kids who go to NYU or Columbia, and they come from areas you will call "Siberia" Not all kids who go to these schools are snobs from the Upper East Side.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:41 PM

37 posts, read 160,551 times
Ace, yes, my parents are paying for 2/3 of my tuition and I have take out loans to cover rest of expense. NYU was the only school I got accepted, so I had no other choice. If I am going to be in NYC, why not enjoy the life in Manhanttan? I would be studying most of time, but I would like to go party and check out the city during the weekends. However, I only get $1500 to spend every month including the rent.

Old 02-12-2008, 04:00 PM

2,954 posts, read 7,723,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rock View Post
I assume you want to drink, party, and meet girls? Just know that living in Manhattan makes it a whole lot easier to meet girls.

In other cities, girls ask you what you do for a living. In Manhattan, girls ask you where you live.
I met just as many girls living in the depths of Brooklyn as when I lived in Manhattan. It must be rough if your only appeal is your #%$!@ zip code...

There is nothing I saw in the thread to confirm that the OP is a guy, anyway

Old 02-12-2008, 06:16 PM

841 posts, read 3,066,650 times
I live a couple blocks from Elmhurst and it is mostly Chinese, Korean & Hispanic. Across Broadway you have the Indians at Jackson Heights. Down the 7 line towards Corona, the majority of the area is Hispanic. If you're not from the area, it might be hard to make friends. Also, there is very little nightlife.

If you really want to avoid Manhattan/ Brooklyn prices, I suggest Astoria or Sunnyside North will be your best bets. Good safe areas, affordable, many cultural activities, & nightlife.

I read on these boards that people 'wouldn't be caught dead in Queens'. It's not as "Cool" as Manhattan or Brooklyn. Great. Please don't spread to Queens.

Queens will not become the next hot thing after Brooklyn because it is the borough of immigrants. No matter what, the yuppies can't take on all of them

Old 02-12-2008, 06:28 PM

6,964 posts, read 11,506,392 times
While I would readily agree that Elmhurst is not a place with a hopping nightlife and it has lots of immigrants living there, it is not necessarily a place to dismiss.

The OP wrote a while back "I am looking for a neighborhood that is safe and quiet. And most importantly, the place should have easy access to grocery shops, restaurant, and subway to Midtown Manhattan. My budget for rent is under $1000/month. I am a single Chinese in early twenty's. Therefore, I prefer living in an Asian and student friendly environment."

I am the one who originally suggested Elmhurst. Now it seems everyone wants to tell him/her everything that is wrong with the area. The truth is, it fits his/her original criteria pretty well. And if you can find a place near the subway, it's very fast to Manhattan (most likely one stop on the R/V, transfer to the express at Roosevelt Ave and in 3 more stops you are in midtown.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:53 PM

43 posts, read 99,858 times
Don't forget all the great shopping in elmhurst. I mean on a fixed budget it's really nice to have target a few blocks away. Also get cheaper take out than manhattan.
If you don't mind that it's rare to hear someone in elmhurst over 25 yrs old speaking english, than why not? Everyone is pretty cool there, and who knows you'll probably meet a nice chinese girl with a thing for dentists-in-training.

But someone else did make a good point- the commute from manhattan can really suck at 3am drunk&tired on the E train when it starts making local stops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City