Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 09:30 PM

33,402 posts, read 46,846,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
From the FDR Drive you really cannot tell where SCPTV ends and Baruch Houses begins.

First time was invited to Stuyvesant Town (a party at a friend of a friend back in the early 1990's) swore it looked just like Todt Hill Houses on Manor Road. Nice, clean, upscale, mostly white, but still "the projects".
Once I got inside it underscored the feeling as the interiors of STPCV are not that much different than NYCHA buildings.

Now some persons have done wonderful things with their apartments at STPCV interior decorator wise, but then again so have some living in NYCHA apartments.
Actually its pretty easy to tell them apart. No NYCHA will ever have green window sills like Stuy Town does.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 09:43 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,189,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
it was my family that had little money so i lived in one until my teens . my mother had a heart attack giving birth to my sister because she had mis-diagnosed rheumatic fever as a kid which damaged her heart .

so with my dad the only bread winner and a postal clerk and my mom with huge medical bills and unable to work we were kind of in a bind .
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
but thats what they were for, so in that sense it served its purpose, and your family lived there for the right reasons.
now look where you are today
Yes that was my point. You came from a harder life and progressed with it.
I like to hear stories like this, people who use nycha as a stepping stone to get ahead in life and not just as a way of life where generation after generation end up staying there.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:45 PM

33,402 posts, read 46,846,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I have had quality of life issues in "nice" buildings in nice neighborhoods. If I could score a 2 br in the Hernandez Houses for 2500, it would be a coup. Have you been in a NYHA building? Those are large units.
You have no clue haha

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-07-2016, 10:00 AM

15,759 posts, read 14,366,453 times
If took the ones in better neighborhoods, cleared them out, gutted them to the studs, and rebuilt them, maybe we could talk. The problem is their poverty mentality is baked into their architecture. From what I've seen everything is built cramped, low ceilings, minimalized public spaces (except for the outdoor plazas), and just generally reflected their purpose as poverty housing. I'm not sure how much of that could be remodeled out without tearing them down and building from scratch.

Old 04-07-2016, 01:27 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,905,336 times
I just learned that a friend of a friend is paying 1750 for a two bedroom

Old 04-07-2016, 11:23 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,620,795 times
I have to think the projects in lower Manhattan are completely different than they used to be. The criminals have mostly all been locked up & evicted, the drugs have been swept out, and the people can find lots of service sector jobs that pay more than minimum wage in Manhattan. So it's just a bunch of low income people as opposed to a bunch of thugs

Old 04-07-2016, 11:25 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,394,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
I have to think the projects in lower Manhattan are completely different than they used to be. The criminals have mostly all been locked up & evicted, the drugs have been swept out, and the people can find lots of service sector jobs that pay more than minimum wage in Manhattan. So it's just a bunch of low income people as opposed to a bunch of thugs
I was in the Jacob Riis houses very late at night into the morning one time, and it really didn't seem that bad

Old 04-08-2016, 12:17 AM

64 posts, read 175,863 times
The size and condition of the buildings would be the most important thing. Someone mentioned the chelsea houses on here, yeah it'd be great to live in chelsea paying 20% of your take home income on rent, but those buildings are in horrible condition. a lot of NYCHA's are. Plus the bigger they are, the worse they are. That really goes for any type of building. More people = more problems and more wear/tear.

The low-rises ones on Eldridge and Stanton street look decent. They are probably some of the newest NYCHA's built. The Williamsburg Houses in BK look decent. I've never been inside, but from the outside some parts of the Vladek Houses look like they are well taken care of. But even then, it's right by the river on the FDR. Any of those places by the river probably have big time rat and rodent problems. Big, 18+ story high rises wouldn't be great. Elevator problems, trash chute problems. The "worst looking" NYCHA buildings I've ever seen are the Wilson Houses in Harlem. Huge buildings between 1st and the FDR that look like they're going to topple over any day now. They look very neglected, like they are the buildings NYCHA forgot about.

Then again, there are privately owned buildings that are a lot worse than some of the NYCHA buildings. Anyone see the article in the DN about that place up on the Grand Concourse a little south of the stadium? Worst landlord in the city? People paying to cook on hotplates and rats chewing through the bathroom walls

Old 04-08-2016, 04:13 AM

105,841 posts, read 107,820,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
but thats what they were for, so in that sense it served its purpose, and your family lived there for the right reasons.
now look where you are today
yep fear works as a motivational tool . the fact i lived in one and never wanted to have to go back was a strong driving force that propelled me daily for a lifetime .

i don't think i would have ended up where i am today if it wasn't for that fear .

Old 04-08-2016, 06:10 AM

31,652 posts, read 26,516,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
NYC has some relatively safe, fantastically located housing projects. Let's say someone told you you could rent an apartment in the housing project of your choice. Which would you choose, and how much would you be willing to spend? I'd probably pay 2500 for the Hernandez Houses on the LES.

For this one? Not a GD red cent......

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.2589943
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City