Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 11:28 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,278,661 times

Advertisements

I'm with jad2k. I'm on the cusp of Gen X and Gen Y but I'm definitely having a majority of the millennial attributes.

Yes I cook. I also love to eat out. I love everything about food and learning about food. I didn't know that until I was older though and had to start squirreling away money. Which apparently in recent reports we're really good at. Even better than prior generations. Some part of me wonders how much of that is because of the recent recession and the mindset it trained us in to shop discounts, thrift, reuse, recycle, creatively upcycle and save, save, save.

However, I do have a weakness for Trader Joe's and all their options. They really get us. It drives my husband crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 02:30 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
Mu husband and I work opposite hours. I am exhausted when I get home from work and it would be too late to cook anyways. I like to relax or run errands before work. The average cost of dining or to go from a regular none fancy restaurant would be $30 for two. We rarely get bottles of wine etc when we go out. I actually almost exclusively drink water (with lemon) with my meals even when home.
When I do the math it is not worth it in timewise and cost to cook every day . If I cook we are both stuck eating the same thing. If I make two entrees it would mean more ingredients and more time in the kitchen. The left overs are eaten on day one then discarded.
Compared to going to the restaurant and buying a meal. We get to enjoy two separte dishes and I don't have to slave away in the kitchen.
If i am on vacation or have a long weekend or it's the holidays I cook.
I bought my stove not for functionality, but because it looked sexy in the kitchen. Lol.
We also work opposite shifts. My husband, thankfully, will cook most nights, which is great because I hate cooking. During the week, they are usually quick meals or crock pot stuff. We do get takeout but we try to limit it nowadays, though sometimes we do step out of the budget. But I track every dollar I spend practically so I know how much I could potentially blow on food. My husband's diet is also a PITA so it limits us quite a bit. Many of the things we cook for dinner he takes for lunch anyway.

I would get takeout almost everyday but I am not wealthy so I try to put that money into other things like vacations and savings so I can buy something more than my one bedroom coop one day.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:40 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Can't cook if people share a tiny space in NYC. No fridge space, no proper cooking places. Cheaper in NYC to eat out or pick up. Millennials eat at food trucks and franchise joints like Chipotles.

Old 04-11-2016, 10:52 AM

311 posts, read 292,744 times
Nope, we only drink water and alcohol.

Old 04-14-2016, 08:19 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,591,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Can't cook if people share a tiny space in NYC. No fridge space, no proper cooking places. Cheaper in NYC to eat out or pick up. Millennials eat at food trucks and franchise joints like Chipotles.
Good points

Old 04-14-2016, 10:29 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Does building an organic salad from produce bought from whole foods counts as cooking?

Old 04-14-2016, 10:41 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,327,637 times
I'm a millenial I guess and I try to cook as much as I can. I haven't eaten out of my house in a week. But when i want beef or any meat aside chicken it's better to just eat out since beef is honestly expensive af. And forget about lamb, just get it from a halal truck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City