Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 08:57 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
Firstly, stop blaming the transplants for racism. If anything, they're far less racist than the natives. Second, In the end if you keep seeking approval from whites you let them have power over you. As a mixed-race person (white/black), I don't understand why the Black community cares so much about what "the white folk" think. Some white doorman says something, big deal, you outearn him 500 times over. People need to love who they are, because acceptance starts from the inside out.
I don't get the idea that transplants are more racist, I think people just oike blaming everything on transplants because it's "cool" to do so. People who are actually racist actively avoid moving into black neighborhoods most of the time.

I think some people mistakenly assume white people living in their neighborhoods are racist because they don't realize that outside of the hood, making brief eye contact with someone walking towards you is not a no-no and they think they're getting stared at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 10:12 AM

6,685 posts, read 6,031,429 times
I am latina and I'm tired of people - especially other minorities thinking that whites are the only ones who practice racism or are stereotypical. This is not the case! I was married to a man of Scottish-German ethnicity for over 10 years and have associated with many whites - including people from the Midwest, the South and Europe where his family is from, and had never had any type of problem. I also live (born, raised, work, went to school) in Manhattan, so I know what I'm talking about.

In my opinion, (because it has been my experience) the people who tend to do the most discrimination are actually other minorities of different backgrounds. Sorry, but that's the truth.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:22 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Rockefeller family have more wealth accumulation than Bloomberg. Same could be said for the Koch Brothers. Don't fool yourself. Wasps even though they are not relevant in NYC as much, they do wield influence in certain aspects of life here in NYC. WASPS also take part in charity and philanthropic work, as well as major proponent of the arts. WASPS used to dominate American politics and economic agenda, but the Civil Rights movement changed that. City College used to be Harvard for Jews, and now Jews make up the bulk of IVY league graduates. Jews also control finance, media, banking, and real estate industries. In DC the supreme court is made of up Catholic and Jews, and not one current judge is a WASP. WASPS are still big in NYC like in the UES of Manhattan. They really have some nice episcopal, pyrsberterian, and Lutheran churches on the East Side of Manhattan. Here in NYC, the wealthy old money WASPS, have to work with the current money Jews, and the new money Asians. Also NYC has not had an Irish Mayor in decades. The past NYC mayors have either been Italian and or Jewish. However if it offers any consoloation, Dinkins even though black, he used to attend plenty of WASP functions, and probably an agent of the WASPS.
Rockerfeller family has used Panama for generations to offshore their wealth from taxes. It goes to show the powerful get their and hold on to their wealth through illegal means or exploit legal ways to do so while everybody else pay taxes at the nominal level.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:46 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,539,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
Firstly, stop blaming the transplants for racism. If anything, they're far less racist than the natives..
Agree. As a minority native new yorker, I feel the influx of tranplants made NYC LESS racists. Most of the overt racism I experienced growing up was from Joey the guido down the block. Transplant Chad from Ohio is too passive/aggressive to be overtly racists and are generally pleasant even if they secretly want you deported.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:50 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Agree. As a minority native new yorker, I feel the influx of tranplants made NYC LESS racists. Most of the overt racism I experienced growing up was from Joey the guido down the block. Transplant Chad from Ohio is too passive/aggressive to be overtly racists and are generally pleasant even if they want you deported.
Yeah I was about to say, Yusef Hawkins and the like were killed by native white new Yorkers.

Old 04-11-2016, 12:28 PM

237 posts, read 329,923 times
Dunno if OP is trolling(this is Op's first post), but I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss.

I'm in L.A., and, just yesterday: I'm in Dublin's pub DTLA, having a beer. I'm at the bar maybe 20 mins or so. watching a UFC fight. I currently bartend myself, so, me and the bartender have a pleasant convo. I finish the beer, and ask him where the bathroom is. He points it out,(its in the back and down some stairs) and I head towards it. Just as I'm about to go in, I'm confronted, and had my pathway physically blocked, by the day manager and another barback. I won't list everything that was said, but they thought I'd wandered in off the street and wasn't a "customer", despite my having a beer, and being at the bar for those 20mins.the bar only had about 10 customers in total, at this time. They were VERY aggressive and rude..they didn't put hands on, but it felt like it would've gotten there if the bartender hadn't confirmed that I had, in fact, purchased a beer. They backed off and let me **** in peace.

Now, I'm a black man..well-dressed, and a bartender myself, so I know how to conduct myself in a bar and anywhere else, for that matter. why so aggressive? why the "above and beyond" that was unnecessary?

I know many will dismiss this..but, I'm telling ya: If I were a white dude in a suit, there would've been no problem with me using the bathroom.

some people just see "black". So, I feel the OP even if he is trolling. this kinda stuff goes down daily, all over.

Old 04-11-2016, 01:14 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,232,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
That's unfortunate, but I doubt it's any worse than in the rest of the US.
There may not be more racism in NYC than elsewhere in the country, but I do think there are more "gating mechanisms" that can show off racism (like doormen buildings, for example) than elsewhere in the country. But at least the doormen of NYC won't shoot your teenage sons dead, unlike the neighborhood watch in Florida (small comfort).

Old 04-11-2016, 01:21 PM

415 posts, read 514,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nora's Garden View Post
Due to my career, I travel to Manhattan quite frequently for extended periods. Let's just say that lately, I've grown tired of Manhattan, but not for the reasons that you may imagine. I love the hustle and bustle and all that accompanies city living, but I strongly dislike the racism. It's almost as if you're expected to be poor, if you are black. It seems as if I am constantly getting hostile stares from doormen and the concierge when I enter my building. On a few occasions, many have been bold enough to make comments like "your daddy must be rich." Usually, when such comments are made, I simply pretend that I didn't hear them, but I really want to scream, NO ---YOU DUMB PRICK, UNLIKE YOU, I'VE WORKED HARD AND NOW I MAKE ENOUGH MONEY TO STAY WHERE I PLEASE.

Unfortunately, in many parts of NYC, fine living and fine dining appear to be reserved for those with white skin. For this reason, I'm really starting to dislike staying in NYC.

It's a white man's world, brother.

They invented all the good stuff and they just let us use it.

Old 04-11-2016, 01:26 PM

237 posts, read 329,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizenrich View Post
It's a white man's world, brother.

They invented all the good stuff and they just let us use it.
"They" did no such thing.
Learn your history my brother. And don't self-deprecate. ever.

Old 04-11-2016, 01:28 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,882,126 times
People need to distinguish the difference between prejudice and racist. Everyone is prejudice to a degree as it human survival behavior, however, not everyone thinks their race is somehow superior to others (racisism). I experience a lot of prejudice acts on a daily basis, but I wouldn't call the people racist. Most of them are ignorant and have a lack of experience in dealing with the complexity of what it means to be a person. They want to filter everything in a simple (stereotype) terms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City