Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 06:59 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,647,184 times

Advertisements

NYC Chinatowns are the crown jewels of all ghettos. Vibrant, low crimes, good schools and high property value. NO ONE ever said, "Here comes the Chinese, there goes the neighborhood." Never.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 07:02 PM

30,562 posts, read 18,055,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Flushing is a larger Chinatown than Sunset Park. Flushing is zip codes 11354 and 11355, which has a larger Chinese population than Sunset Park.
Everything I've read, from NYT articles to the Daily News piece I've posted, state that Sunset Park has the largest Chinese population of all NYC Chinatowns. I've yet to find anything to the contrary.

In addition to the NY Daily News piece I've posted, consider:

http://freshnyc.com/blog/chinatown-n...lushing-queens

"It is actually one of the fastest growing Asian communities outside of China and now rank 1st, as the largest Chinatown of NYC with 34,218 Chinese residents."

As the Daily News piece shows, both Sunset Park and Flushing are nearly identical in terms of Chinese populations, but Sunset Park still beats Flushing out: Chinatowns of NYC - Comparisons

From the News: "Sunset Park is now New York's largest Chinatown, with 34,218 Chinese residents, up from 19,963 in 2000, a 71% increase. Bustling Flushing ranks second, with 33,526 Chinese, up from 17,363, a 93% increase."

Until I see evidence otherwise, I will reiterate that Sunset Park has NYC's largest Chinatown.

Last edited by prospectheightsresident; 04-10-2016 at 07:12 PM..

Old 04-10-2016, 07:08 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,426,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill83 View Post
NYC Chinatowns are the crown jewels of all ghettos. Vibrant, low crimes, good schools and high property value. NO ONE ever said, "Here comes the Chinese, there goes the neighborhood." Never.
Actually, plenty of people have complained about too many Chinese moving into their neighborhood. Bigots get mad when they have to live around people who don't look like then, even if they're from a "model minority" group.

As a matter of fact, someone made a condescending post about Asians just one page ago.

Old 04-10-2016, 07:12 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,892,434 times
Quote:
Tell that to the former residents of Bayside or Bensonhurst.

Old 04-10-2016, 07:20 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,647,184 times
Many former homeowners were happy to sell their properties to Chinese, good price and quick sale.

Old 04-10-2016, 07:21 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,277,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Everything I've read, from NYT articles to the Daily News piece I've posted, state that Sunset Park has the largest Chinese population of all NYC Chinatowns. I've yet to find anything to the contrary.

In addition to the NY Daily News piece I've posted, consider:

Guide To New York Chinatown in Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens

"It is actually one of the fastest growing Asian communities outside of China and now rank 1st, as the largest Chinatown of NYC with 34,218 Chinese residents."

As the Daily News piece shows, both Sunset Park and Flushing are nearly identical in terms of Chinese populations, but Sunset Park still beats Flushing out: Chinatowns of NYC - Comparisons

From the News: "Sunset Park is now New York's largest Chinatown, with 34,218 Chinese residents, up from 19,963 in 2000, a 71% increase. Bustling Flushing ranks second, with 33,526 Chinese, up from 17,363, a 93% increase."

Until I see evidence otherwise, I will reiterate that Sunset Park has NYC's largest Chinatown.
Look up the zip code populations right here on City Data. Sunset Park has approximately 50k Chinese residents to Flushing's 70k. Flushing is also a larger business district, 4th largest in NYC. And comparing Queens' overall Chinese population to Brooklyn's, its not even close. There are more Chinese in Queens than the rest of the city combined. I agree with the OPs observation.

Old 04-10-2016, 07:21 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,426,058 times
Quote:
Many former homeowners were happy to sell their properties to Chinese, good price and quick sale.
Well yeah but they're still leaving the neighborhood

Old 04-10-2016, 07:41 PM

30,562 posts, read 18,055,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Look up the zip code populations right here on City Data. Sunset Park has approximately 50k Chinese residents to Flushing's 70k. Flushing is also a larger business district, 4th largest in NYC. And comparing Queens' overall Chinese population to Brooklyn's, its not even close. There are more Chinese in Queens than the rest of the city combined. I agree with the OPs observation.
Except that nothing else is bearing that out. I'm sorry, when people are looking deeper into the matter (i.e. investigative journalists, whether from the NYT or elsewhere), they are coming up with different figures.

Also, zip code indicators aren't too helpful, particular in Brooklyn, as the zip codes extend into "satellite" areas. I don't see why this would be any different than in Flushing. Sorry, when news organizations have taken a closer look into the areas/blocks that are commonly understood to comprise NYC's Chinatowns, they've been unanimous in declaring that Sunset Park has the largest Chinatown, and that Flushing comes in at No. 2.

Can you post a link to the zip code break down that includes a separation of Chinese citizens, though? I tried to find it, but the best I could find was "Asian alone." If that's what you're finding, too, that wouldn't be too helpful, as many Asians in Flushing seem to be Korean: http://usa.chinadaily.com.cn/epaper/...t_20725206.htm Thanks!

Old 04-10-2016, 07:54 PM

35 posts, read 37,494 times
NE Queens has been inundated with Chinese brothels on every street. Next to schools, child day care centers, senior citizen homes, supermarkets...you name it. They have no discretion. This is part of their culture they have pushed upon the natives. Of course people in Bayside/Whitestone are selling to get out. The natives didn't study hard in high school, then college and then on to a solid professional careers in order to have their children subjected to this foreign 3rd world filth. If it were happening on the UES or UWS of Manhattan, all hell would break loose.

I won't even get started on the illegal status most of them carry. The sanctuary city status that protects them will be gone soon enough and then their will be hell to pay.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:34 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,663,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I got all excited when I saw the title of your post - but then was so disappointed.

I don't give a damn about the backgrounds of the Chinatowns, and I'm not sure why anyone would. I've never heard anyone debate Little Italy's ratios of immigrants from southern vs. northern Italy.

I was expecting that you were going to post about restaurants. What a let-down!
lol, thread response FAIL

don't post when you're hungry, maybe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City