Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 11:36 AM

7,636 posts, read 8,707,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
Just a few seconds at around 3:10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlDo1mgqTRQ

It must be happening every day.

And the common saying is that if you are not satisfied with the food they serve you, never ask them to change or redo and bring it back to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 12:15 PM

4,383 posts, read 4,388,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
You do realize that onions grow IN the ground?

Old 04-12-2016, 12:26 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Momentarily? LMAO ...

Aren't there more serious things to fret about? You know, like white kitchen appliances or canned vegetables.

Old 04-12-2016, 04:10 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,760,432 times
Wait, sarcastic people -- we are talking about the sidewalks of NYC, the city where all bad dogs go when they die so they must decorate the sidewalks with their droppings for all eternity. If the onions were not peeled and cooked I would avoid them like the plague.

Old 04-12-2016, 04:11 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,141,179 times
How can you survive in NYC if you're that paranoid?

Old 04-12-2016, 05:01 PM

61,705 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Are you serious? There is nothing wrong with onions being put on the ground for a few moments.
Honestly if you are that scared of onions momentarily on the street you should grow your own food, cook at home always and never look into a restaurant kitchen or a grocery wharehouse.
^^^ This, but I don't think you are serious, OP.
Are you scared of potatoes put on the street too? Do you know how are they stored and transported?

Complete avoidance of germs can actually contribute to the development of health problems. Overuse of antibacterial and disinfectant products has been implicated in the spread of new, resistant infections, and children who are not exposed to germs are more likely to develop allergies.
I think that public fear over germs is greatly exaggerated. It is becoming clear that our national obsession with cleanliness is doing more harm than good, and being too clean may be bad for your health...
Beyond cleaning your hands, all of this antibacterial stuff is nuts!

Last edited by elnina; 04-12-2016 at 05:14 PM..

Old 04-12-2016, 05:05 PM

10,233 posts, read 6,317,831 times
Have you ever lived through a Sanitation Strike in NYC? Onions? ROFL

Old 04-13-2016, 03:33 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,240,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post

It must be happening every day.

And the common saying is that if you are not satisfied with the food they serve you, never ask them to change or redo and bring it back to you.
Oh, I know. Even if asked as politely as possible, I'm not convinced they don't get revenge back there. But there are also people who do that without any provocation at all, so I just try not to think about it. That's basically all you can do.

For the most part, we have no way of knowing where our food has been and how it's been handled. I think, usually, the worst part is just knowing the gory details.

Old 04-13-2016, 05:49 PM

139 posts, read 152,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
The onions were in a bag. They were going to be cooked later, which would kill any bacteria that got on it. There are a lot worse things that happen to food that you just don't see. I have read and heard of stuff that will put you off eating out forever.
Yup...Kitchen Confidential.

Also think about all the nasty surfaces we touch every single day without a second thought and then some of those molecules are definitely transferred to our nose/eyes/mouth/etc.

Old 04-13-2016, 05:57 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
I saw a little girl today, maybe 3 years old, who was sitting across from me on the subway next to her grandmother. The girl was on the end seat next to the door. At some point she turned away from her grandmother (so her grandmother couldn't see her face) and started sucking on the handrails next to the subway door that probably thousands of germ-ridden people had touched that day.

I briefly thought about telling the grandmother that she should have her grandkid stop licking the pole, but then I decided kids lick everything, and it wouldn't kill her, just make her immune system stronger.

So yeah, I think the onions are ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City