U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2016, 09:15 PM

1,075 posts, read 808,095 times

Advertisements

My friend needs help. She's looking for an area in central Queens to potentially live. She wants a middle class, quiet neighborhood. I told her Glendale, but I don't know much of that area. I've heard beautiful things about it. What are the pros and cons of living in Glendale, Queens?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 09:36 PM

4,841 posts, read 9,120,726 times
I live in Eastern Glendale near Atlas Park, and it's pretty much your regular quiet middle class Queens neighborhood. Limited public transportation options, most people who don't drive take either the Q29 or Q55 bus to the train if they work in the city. Atlas Park is a nice, if somewhat dead, outdoor mall, and the Glendale side of Forest Park is really nice. The neighborhood have very low crime. Plenty of bars, and locally owned businesses, particularly on Myrtle Avenue, which serves as the main commercial drag for the neighborhood. A lot of people here own cars due to the poor public transportation options, which means it can be hard to find parking at times. The neighborhood is not very diverse compared to other Queens neighborhoods. Most of the residents here are of European ancestry, there is also a significant Puerto Rican population. A lot of Polish people moving here too, due to gentrification in areas like Greenpoint and Williamsburg.

I personally am not a big fan of Queens, but I like this neighborhood. Much better then where I use to live ( Ozone Park ).

Old 04-12-2016, 09:37 PM

I forgot to add that the schools here are pretty good. PS 113 is considered one of the best schools in Queens. Wish I attended the public schools here.

Old 04-13-2016, 06:24 AM

37,684 posts, read 37,969,794 times
I lived in Glendale for one year some time back. It is a very nice neighborhood. But the only subway train in the area was the M which tends to be problematic on the off hours (meaning weekends and late nights).

Old 04-13-2016, 12:32 PM

10,780 posts, read 10,018,575 times
Great neighborhood. Its the most peaceful, affordable, old school NYC neighborhood you'll find in close proximity to Manhattan.

Old 04-13-2016, 01:06 PM

436 posts, read 505,822 times
It's basically a better version of the southeast Queens suburban neighborhoods. And it's really not that close to Manhattan.

Old 04-13-2016, 01:08 PM

2,199 posts, read 1,530,705 times
I've lived near Myrtle & Cooper for many years, moved here from Ridgewood. It's fairly quiet with low crime. Most people are of European background. Plenty of people with German and Italian origin still here. Some 3rd generation Puerto Ricans, a lot of Serbs near Cypress Hills St. Assorted newer immigrants in the 6 family apts in western Glendale. Some Polish people around.

It' sandwiched between cemeteries plus the Interboro Parkway and Forest Park which has a carousel, a running track, golf course, playgrounds and different playing fields plus wooded areas and a bandshell where there are performances in the summer.

There are 2 express bus lines. One to midtown and the other to lower Manhattan. The q55 to the L at Wyckoff & Myrtle, q11 on Woodhaven to QB. q29 to QB and 82nd/Roosevelt Ave. The M on Fresh Pond Rd. Depends on what part of Glendale you live and where you work which transit makes sense for you. Many people have cars and never use public transit.

It's not the most exciting place to live but it's good for raising a family.

Old 04-13-2016, 01:43 PM

10,780 posts, read 10,018,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier Azure View Post
It's basically a better version of the southeast Queens suburban neighborhoods. And it's really not that close to Manhattan.
It is not as suburban as SE Queens. Most housing in Glendale are attached, and 2-3 family dwellings. But it is still a very quiet neighborhood. It is also not that far from Manhattan, but its lack of a subway station makes it appear as such. You have to go to either Ridgewood, Forest Hills, or Woodhaven to catch a train. My folks still live in Glendale by Woodhaven. Takes me an hour to get there from the Financial District.

Old 04-13-2016, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
It is not as suburban as SE Queens. Most housing in Glendale are attached, and 2-3 family dwellings. But it is still a very quiet neighborhood. It is also not that far from Manhattan, but its lack of a subway station makes it appear as such. You have to go to either Ridgewood, Forest Hills, or Woodhaven to catch a train. My folks still live in Glendale by Woodhaven. Takes me an hour to get there from the Financial District.
Glendale has very little in common with SE Queens.

It usually takes me between 45-50 minutes to get to Union Square from where I live via Q55 Bus and L train.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: