Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 10:27 PM

5 posts, read 7,396 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I'm in the midst of brewing up a master plan that entails moving out of NYC. This- is one of the hardest decisions I've ever had to make. Manhattan's been my home for the past 5 years and to think about potentially losing my place on the Upper West Side breaks my heart. My next move is to Sweden to write, travel, work and attempt to create a life there for at least a year. I will return to NYC when the time is right, but need a lil' boost from others who have contemplated and/or acted upon their own master plans to move out. And have come back to pick up right where they left off, which is what I'm assuming will happen upon my return.

Any advice or thoughts is greatly appreciated- as the time is coming near.

Oh boy!

Many thanks,

Kelly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 08:03 AM

274 posts, read 1,108,825 times
DO IT!

There's a whole world out there besides NYC. I'm plotting my escape too, so I understand the part of giving up a great apt. in an area like the UWS.

NYC is great, but the expense, pushy attitudes, weather, non-family friendly atmosphere, commute, grayness, and workaholic culture are wearing on me. I want a little more than NYC can offer, like a place on the beach, good schools, and where owning a Porsche won't cost an insane amount.

Let me know how it works out.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:10 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,965,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rock View Post
DO IT!

There's a whole world out there besides NYC. I'm plotting my escape too, so I understand the part of giving up a great apt. in an area like the UWS.

NYC is great, but the expense, pushy attitudes, weather, non-family friendly atmosphere, commute, grayness, and workaholic culture are wearing on me. I want a little more than NYC can offer, like a place on the beach, good schools, and where owning a Porsche won't cost an insane amount.

Let me know how it works out.
the cost of owning a porsche is about the same wherever you go, if you quibbling about a few hundred bucks difference in insurance costs maybe owning a porsche isn't for you

Old 02-13-2008, 08:47 AM

274 posts, read 1,108,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
the cost of owning a porsche is about the same wherever you go, if you quibbling about a few hundred bucks difference in insurance costs maybe owning a porsche isn't for you
Oh, I did I mention how I'm tired of the TYPICAL negative NYC attitudes?

Mr. Math Genius,

Duh, the difference is not the cost of a car, but the cost of real estate.

A 1 bedroom in a lux building costs $600,000-$850,000 in Manhattan. Plus 2% mortgage tax, plus $300-$1500 per month in common charges. Plus $450/mo. parking.

I can get a 1-bedroom right on Miami's South Beach for "only" $350,000. That's a $250,000 to $500,000 savings right off the bat.

You gotta love that great NYC public education which you undoubtedly received.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:01 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,965,745 times
Quote:

Mr. Math Genius,

duh, does the real estate costs change because of the car you own?
the point is that whatever car you own has no relationship to what real estate will cost or what the cost of living is regardelss of where it is.
Open that little mind up and think just a little.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:54 AM

AceRock, Thanks for the encouragement and right kind of push. It's true that NYC is a phenominal place to build a professional foundation, but like you- I see grass, fresh air, I may just opt for a spunky Jeep 4x4- a yellow one to remind me to Bring My Own Sunshine

I will let you know how things pan out within the next week or so.

Thanks again for your reply

Old 02-13-2008, 10:33 AM

apvbguy, I appreciate your financial angle- but I'm no where near the point of buying a porsche...when I do, I'll be sure to consider your relationship with the real estate market.

Many thanks,
Kelly

Old 02-13-2008, 10:43 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,364,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellySue View Post
Hi All,

I'm in the midst of brewing up a master plan that entails moving out of NYC. This- is one of the hardest decisions I've ever had to make. Manhattan's been my home for the past 5 years and to think about potentially losing my place on the Upper West Side breaks my heart. My next move is to Sweden to write, travel, work and attempt to create a life there for at least a year. I will return to NYC when the time is right, but need a lil' boost from others who have contemplated and/or acted upon their own master plans to move out. And have come back to pick up right where they left off, which is what I'm assuming will happen upon my return.

Any advice or thoughts is greatly appreciated- as the time is coming near.

Oh boy!

Many thanks,

Kelly
I agree with others, moving to Sweden would be a good look and a once in a life time experience. NYC isn't going to pick up and move anytime soon, so it will be here when you get back. Best of luck.

Quote:

Mr. Math Genius,

A 1 bedroom in a lux building costs $600,000-$850,000 in Manhattan. Plus 2% mortgage tax, plus $300-$1500 per month in common charges. Plus $450/mo. parking.

I can get a 1-bedroom right on Miami's South Beach for "only" $350,000. That's a $250,000 to $500,000 savings right off the bat.

You gotta love that great NYC public education which you undoubtedly received.
outside of a few blocks, South Beach is a dump so don't be so quick to extol the difference in cost for a place.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:07 PM

205 posts, read 507,785 times
Ur in for a big culture shock. lol. way of life in Europe is diff ofcourse u know.
In general ur going to catch some heat for being an American. However, its nice to get a view of the rest of the world. Ur going to miss home. Yet u will feel a little more relaxed. Less stress. When u come back u will feel a bit like a tourist after that long. And u might have some confusion as to why u returned to NYC. Give it time. All will subside.

Old 02-14-2008, 01:08 PM

225 posts, read 1,090,521 times
I'm curious--why Sweden? I love it, but it's culturally about as far from Manhattan as it is possible to get without leaving the developed world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City