U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 03:19 PM

26 posts, read 44,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Percentage wise. The cost of housing is going to kill you regardless. If you actually checked craigslist like many people have suggested, you'll get an idea of what you'll get for $1500. You can then ask people about the towns you can rent for that price in and get feedback. You can find an apartment for $1500, but you will be living in a very crappy area, and your children will be going to school with thugs and gang members, to put it bluntly.
I live in a pretty crappy area right now. I just have a stretch of grass out back. My kids will be going to -kindergarten- with thugs and gang members? I doubt it.

My oldest is 2 and my youngest is less than 3 mos old. I don't plan on living wherever we move to for longer than 4-5 years, if that. If my friend is any indication, I should be able to move in this company just as fast as him.

And I have checked craigslist. But what an apartment looks like inside and what it looks like outside are two different things. And the neighborhoods that they're in don't have any meaning to me because I don't know anything about them. I don't know much about NYC metro beyond Manhattan and north Jersey. If it weren't for double taxation I wouldn't even be asking this question. I'd just move to Bayonne and be done with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 03:21 PM

82 posts, read 426,253 times
Nanobug-we're all trying to help you here. I think a lot of us have heard of situations like yours all the time. People who move/are trying to move to NYC or the surrounding areas sometimes do not know what they're in for. Visiting Manhattan every weekend for a year is quite different than living in the area and paying bills, taxes, etc.
I applaud you for living a frugal lifestyle though. Unfortunately, your money won't go very far here. I'm not familiar with the PA area but I am familiar with the NYC area. Listen to what other people are saying-the commute from the outer areas (LI, etc) will be more than $300. Yes, it's $300 for the ticket but factor in Metrocard, gas to the station, etc. LIPA is a rip off and expect your heating, electric bills to go way up.
My father commuting into Manhattan for 30 years from LI. It adds about 4 hours to your day. It will be very tough juggling, work, children, and school with those extra hours taxed on. Yes, you can study on the train but it's not that relaxing. I've done the commute to LI before and many times I couldn't even get a seat on the train!

Old 02-13-2008, 03:22 PM

1,836 posts, read 2,030,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanobug View Post
Yes, and they're fine with it.
They're "fine" with it?? Nice! Love the corporate responsibilty.

Anyhow, since you've elaborated that you live in a hood like environment, you should be fine.

Look in Bushwick, ENY, Jamaica, Yonkers, Flatbush, etc... put your price range in CraigslistNY, and post the areas here (SEARCH FIRST!) to see if it's an area you andTHREE FEMALES don't mind living in.

Also, you keep talking about studying on the train. Good luck with that.

how's your credit?

Old 02-13-2008, 03:24 PM

10,526 posts, read 11,205,700 times
Gotta love this magical company! I want to apply too!

Old 02-13-2008, 03:26 PM

82 posts, read 426,253 times
haha me too Newtoli!

Old 02-13-2008, 03:29 PM

LOL you act like this DUI is equivalent to armed robbery or something.

I got pulled over for having a tail light out. I wasn't driving erratically. The legal limit is .08, I blew a .11. It's not as though I'm some habitual drunk driver. I had a bad night, it happens. My friend is in charge of the hiring for this department. It had to be cleared by HR and his boss and he said that it is.

Old 02-13-2008, 03:34 PM

1,836 posts, read 2,030,209 times
Quote:
actually, it could be the equivalent to homicide. this comment is disgusting- even more so coming from a fellow parent!

Old 02-13-2008, 03:36 PM

10,526 posts, read 11,205,700 times
Quote:

Wow...

Old 02-13-2008, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colokev View Post
Nanobug-we're all trying to help you here. I think a lot of us have heard of situations like yours all the time. People who move/are trying to move to NYC or the surrounding areas sometimes do not know what they're in for. Visiting Manhattan every weekend for a year is quite different than living in the area and paying bills, taxes, etc.
I applaud you for living a frugal lifestyle though. Unfortunately, your money won't go very far here. I'm not familiar with the PA area but I am familiar with the NYC area. Listen to what other people are saying-the commute from the outer areas (LI, etc) will be more than $300. Yes, it's $300 for the ticket but factor in Metrocard, gas to the station, etc. LIPA is a rip off and expect your heating, electric bills to go way up.
My father commuting into Manhattan for 30 years from LI. It adds about 4 hours to your day. It will be very tough juggling, work, children, and school with those extra hours taxed on. Yes, you can study on the train but it's not that relaxing. I've done the commute to LI before and many times I couldn't even get a seat on the train!
I appreciate you not copping an attitude with me and basically saying it can't be done. I know that it will be very tough. The thing is, it won't be tough when I'm done with school and I've got the work experience.

It's tough working your way up in a factory too. Its tough busting your ass for 4 years in school and accepting a job at a help desk for marginally better pay than what a manager at wal-mart makes and realizing that around here you're lucky to even have that. Tough is fine, as long as there's a plan to move from tough to easier. I will be doing distance learning at my current school instead of transferring credits, so I don't actually have to be in a classroom or commute that way.

My friend recommended that I check out some places in Babylon on LI, he said he knows of one that is literally a 5 minute walk from the train station. And before anyone says anything about "OMG you'll have to listen to the train", I have lived 5 minutes from train tracks my whole life. He says the commute from there is about an hour. Judging by the pics I've looked at, the apartments look nicer than where I'm at now.

I was also looking at St. George. W/ a free ferry ride and a metro card I could make it to work within an hour. There are apartments there in the $1500 range and my wife would still have her car. It's also closer to Lebanon which will be nice for coming back to visit.

Old 02-13-2008, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK2Westchester View Post
actually, it could be the equivalent to homicide. this comment is disgusting- even more so coming from a fellow parent!
Actually, it couldn't, at least not any more than normal driving. I wasn't even impaired. Passed the field sobriety test just fine. The cop was just an ******* about it. It was nearly 3 am, the streets were all but empty, and I was picking up a pack of cigarettes. I hadn't taken a drink in over an hour and a half, and over the 4 hr period I was drinking (not counting the hr and a half I waited), I had 6. I was fine to drive. My tail light was out, and I didn't realize it. But since you were there, you know everything, you be the judge. Frankly I could care less what you think about me. You don't know me. kthxbye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City