Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 07:28 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,880,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
If I'm an unarmed civilian who's not afraid to walk in an unlit project staircase at night, a cop should definitely not be afraid to do it too.

My 2 cents.
Only way this would be a fair comparison would be if you allow undercover cops that look the same as the residence in the building to do the vertical climb, otherwise, the person will stick out in the community and to the criminals who live there. Wearing an NYPD sign would automatically endanger your life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 07:30 PM

54 posts, read 48,996 times
If you know anything about the courts in NYC especially District Attorneys and police... and the actions of some NYC judges ... justice and the rule of law is far from the norm. Honestly does the Judge's actions seem normal to you?

Old 04-19-2016, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omari7 View Post
If you know anything about the courts in NYC especially District Attorneys and police... and the actions of some NYC judges ... justice and the rule of law is far from the norm. Honestly does the Judge's actions seem normal to you?
There is already a legal precedence for this.

Quote:
In 2005, former NYPD cop Bryan Conroy was sentenced to five years of probation and 500 hours of community service after he was convicted of criminally negligent homicide in the shooting of Ousmane Zongo in Chelsea."
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/22/ny...3-killing.html

While this was a tragic event lets not forget NYC and the projects have become a safer place since Giuliani made the Police Department responsible for patrolling the projects. It use to be the criminals who ran the projects.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:50 PM

54 posts, read 48,996 times
NYer23 "There is already a legal precedence for this."

oh "legal" like stop and frisk and open window policies and quotas... oh legal precedence... Oh thats what makes it "legal." or lawful... to give community service... killing the people that you are paid to protect.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:50 PM

34,003 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
Only way this would be a fair comparison would be if you allow undercover cops that look the same as the residence in the building to do the vertical climb, otherwise, the person will stick out in the community and to the criminals who live there. Wearing an NYPD sign would automatically endanger your life.
You think so? Who gets shot in the projects more, cops or civilians? I have personally seen the cops walk around the projects yelling "these are our projects" and nothing happened to them. But you must hang out in NYCHA as much as me to know what goes on. Right?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-19-2016, 08:15 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,047,100 times
Quote:
Liang is guilty of takin an innocent unarmed citizen's life. The citizen has rights ....how does someone accidentally fire a gun at an unarmed person..then call the union rep and your girlfriend with the man dying ?

also Blake okay the family maybe bias, but there is something called justice. Taking an unarmed citizen's life with a firearm does not equal community service...no matter how you try to paint it.

The officer is guilty but the state is really the guilty party.. why are armed person's patrolling a residential building? Was there a call for a policeman or do poor people live under police surveillance at their residence. I would not live where armed persons are roaming the hallways...especially rookies... but this is the reality for Black Americans. and since the "stop and frisk" money dried up they have to look for crime to fill quotas at the expense of the community. I wouldn't want to get robbed in my resident stairwell but I wouldn't want to live in a police state either.

Some of you guys always say that Black Americans make everything about race, but, an Asian judge dismissing a jury decision and giving community service for an "asian" office who murders an unarmed citizen. seems suspect to me and most rationale people. I am sure it must have crossed your mind.

Someone even mentioned "Black live smatter." I know one thing sometimes you have to put yourself in someones shoes and imagine how you would feel.. instead of making judgements like a back seat driver.
Another person buying the sensational headlines. If you bothered to read any of the details you would know that he didn't call the Union rep because he thought he shot someone. He called asking for advice on an accidental discharge. Only when they reentered the stair case to look for the bullet did they realize that someone was shot in a floor below and that was exactly what the prosecutor accused him of doing. It's much different than calling his union rep knowing that someone was shot which is not what the prosecutor accused him of, but is misinterpreted by those reading sensational wording in news headlines. In any case that was enough to convict so all accidental shotings going forward should lead to convictions as well. So if you own a legal gun be very careful, you will be convicted of manslaughter if you ever mishandle it or if it ever misfires.

Last edited by bumblebyz; 04-19-2016 at 08:38 PM..

Old 04-19-2016, 08:32 PM

1,369 posts, read 1,252,842 times
Quote:
Frankly speaking..."The sentencing would have been different if it wasn't an "asian judge."
Agree, how did Liang end up with a asian judge in the first place. Something smells fishy.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:45 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,982,397 times
If the cop is not Asian, he wouldn't even be on trial.

This was an accident, nothing more.

Sending a rookie out to the projects is a mistake as he were scared, which is probably why his finger is on the trigger.

Of course since he is Asian, they found the perfect fall guy for all the wrong doing.

They got what they wanted, a conviction for a copy killing accident on the job.

Nobody want jail time, not even the DA looking for political points by scoring a win here.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
But you must hang out in NYCHA as much as me to know what goes on. Right?
I am in and out of the projects every day. I watch how the police keeps us safe.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
Sending a rookie out to the projects is a mistake as he were scared, which is probably why his finger is on the trigger.
He was trained to have his finger on the trigger.

Quote:
The NYPD’s policy on whether an officer should keep a weapon holstered on such patrols is purposely vague and the decision as to when to take a firearm out is left to the discretion of the officers, according to Police Commissioner Bill Bratton. The department also insists, however, that officers place their fingers on the trigger only upon encountering "extreme and particularized danger." At the time of gun was discharged, the light in the stairwell at 8th floor was broken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City