Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 08:56 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,087,270 times

Advertisements

If you had to choose one neighborhood from each borough that is most representative of the borough in its entirety which one would you choose? By "representative" I mean a neighborhood that encompasses the defining characteristics of the borough, best matches the borough's overall demographics and physical characteristics.

I recognize given the great diversity of the city that it's very difficult to pick just five neighborhoods but which would you choose and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2016, 10:14 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,413,163 times
Manhattan- Upper West Side
Queens- Woodside
Brooklyn- Kensington
Bronx- Castle Hill or Soundview

not sure about Staten Island

Old 04-23-2016, 10:33 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,884,729 times
Queens? Maybe Astoria. Nice, diverse, and safe, with everything to offer.

Old 04-24-2016, 03:43 AM

62 posts, read 75,343 times
Astoria is a disgrace. No authentic people live there anymore. Mostly homosexual transplants now. Woodside or Sunnyside by far represent what old school Queens was all about. Hard working middle class people. Unfortunately today just about every neighborhood in Queens is flooded with illegal immigrants so there is no part that is representative anymore. Trump will fix this problem shortly.

Old 04-24-2016, 04:20 AM

3,921 posts, read 9,103,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
not sure about Staten Island
I'd say one of the three Mid-Island neighborhoods with a NYCHA development (Castleton Corners, Dongan Hills, or South Beach).

Old 04-24-2016, 04:55 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,267,005 times
Manhattan - Gramercy / Flatiron

Queens - Woodside / Elmhurst

Brooklyn - Bed-Stuy / Bushwick

Old 04-24-2016, 07:17 AM

436 posts, read 562,794 times
Definitely Woodside for Queens, but Sunnyside is a close 2nd.

Old 04-24-2016, 07:18 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,413,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
I'd say one of the three Mid-Island neighborhoods with a NYCHA development (Castleton Corners, Dongan Hills, or South Beach).
Yeah I'm not too familiar with Staten Island but that would make sense

Old 04-25-2016, 10:03 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,600,121 times
Hmm...

Manhattan: Gramercy/Flatiron feels all encompassing (like 16th to 30th st 6th ave going east). Hard to represent uptown with most things downtown though.

Brooklyn: Kensington or Gravesend. Kensington feels like a better hodgepodge of the vast amount of difference that the borough offers, but Gravesend has better old school class diversity to me.

Queens: Probably Sunnyside though Woodside feels more diverse and classic to me these days

Bronx: Pelham Parkway because of its mix of (note that this is how it feels to me) latino residents edging south into Van Nest, Black residents edging north into Allerton, Italian residents edging east into Morris Park, and odd hidden tranqulity that most people don't think about in the Bronx. You also get a certain amount of younger folk working for the hospitals and/or going to Fordham University. It's kinda like feeling like a gem in the rough, or as I've always felt about the borough, rough to the eyes but offering a rather nice and affordable standard of living if you know where to look.

Old 04-25-2016, 02:40 PM

5,511 posts, read 8,719,059 times
I'd say Hell's Kitchen is pretty representative of all of Manhattan.

Demographically and economically it's relatively mixed, with a lot of old-timers (white black and Hispanic) hanging on in tenements and a bit of public/subsidized housing, some private middle-income co-ops and apartments, and a bunch of expensive new hi-rises. The eastern rim of HK is the edge of the theater district with a few office buildings, while the west edge, near the Hudson, is what's left of old New York's warehouse/maufacturing/trucking/shipping businesses. Obviously the whole Hudson Yards thing is changing the area radically. Still, I'd wager that in a dozen years, a lot of the far west side north of 42nd st won't look a whole lot different than it does now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City