U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2016, 09:55 AM
Status: "it may continue, but it makes you get stronger." (set 20 days ago)

1,480 posts, read 920,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
There's too many breadknots informing their entire clan of hootenanny bretheran who also just arrived in NYC off the turnip truck about these lotteries via social media and ad-driven pro-gentrification blogs. That's a big part of why the applicant numbers are so high. I'm sorry, but there should be a rule that you've been a NYC resident for at least 10 years. Maybe 20!
I agree. But I wonder - since your work history is taken into consideration, if you jumped off the turnip truck yesterday, it may very well go against you as New Yorkers are given priority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 10:13 AM

246 posts, read 358,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightofcoins37 View Post
I have a decent log # but wanted to ask something about CB pref. When I applied to this lottery, I was within the CB, but had to move last-minute (I was a subletter and the original tenant wanted to move back to NYC). Do I lose my CB preference? I'm cool with the original tenant and she could provide a notarized doc saying when I lived there, but I definitively don't live in that apartment anymore. Any insights/experience?

what is your log number, and I think a letter from your subletter should be ok. but the way how HPD checks everything I don't know.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:16 AM

109 posts, read 130,841 times
Sammy36: I'm in the low 5ks. I want to milk that preference for what it was worth. (I hated that apartment!)

Old 07-27-2016, 10:17 AM

183 posts, read 168,786 times
Quote:
these are my #'s so far..

461 dean, Brooklyn - 15,xxx
MGM Apts, Bronx - 3,xxx
Steinway Estates, Queens - 60,xxx

Better than me! I have 33xxx for MGM but I have CB 9 and municipal employee preference so maybe it'll come through for me *fingers crossed*

Old 07-27-2016, 03:32 PM

64 posts, read 55,939 times
Quote:
There's too many breadknots informing their entire clan of hootenanny bretheran who also just arrived in NYC off the turnip truck about these lotteries via social media and ad-driven pro-gentrification blogs. That's a big part of why the applicant numbers are so high. I'm sorry, but there should be a rule that you've been a NYC resident for at least 10 years. Maybe 20!

Same **** I said, people wanna go post it on FB and share it with their 5000 friends

Old 07-27-2016, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclarke1983 View Post
Same **** I said, people wanna go post it on FB and share it with their 5000 friends

I know plus so many people apply who aren't even eligible, which wastes time and resources. I think the online process makes it easier, but opens it up for so many people to apply. They need to stop such heavy promotion of these lotteries because it makes the odds that much worse

Old 07-27-2016, 05:22 PM

223 posts, read 383,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS013 View Post
I know plus so many people apply who aren't even eligible, which wastes time and resources. I think the online process makes it easier, but opens it up for so many people to apply. They need to stop such heavy promotion of these lotteries because it makes the odds that much worse
This is why I believe a system where people are pre-qualified would work much better. When one of these lotteries has 80,000 applicants I'm betting that 70,000 of them don't qualify.
Not only that, you've got to have your act together and most people couldn't find their birth certificate if it was tattooed to their chest. So it all just adds more noise to the process.

Old 07-27-2016, 05:26 PM

Quote:
I have preference for 461 dean (because of the CB #) and the hearing disability preference, although I can't figure out if I am considered just impaired (I am completely deaf in one ear with moderate hearing in the other) or truly disabled. They ask on the applications if you need special accommodations for your disability and I said No.
There's a difference between being disabled for being hearing impaired and not being disabled. Every disability has a threshold. Obviously if you are in a wheelchair then that's clear. When it comes to hearing or sight there are standards that define it. Your hearing professional should be able to explain whether you are considered disabled. If you are then that doctor would be willing to sign paperwork to that effect. This means everything.

Old 07-27-2016, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City_Dweller_007 View Post
This is why I believe a system where people are pre-qualified would work much better. When one of these lotteries has 80,000 applicants I'm betting that 70,000 of them don't qualify.
Not only that, you've got to have your act together and most people couldn't find their birth certificate if it was tattooed to their chest. So it all just adds more noise to the process.
One way they could do so is by making people upload income documents during the initial lottery application, instead of waiting until the lottery is closed and once people are assigned log numbers. On a happier note, I got a call this afternoon for 1035 Anderson Avenue in the Bronx to submit pay stubs and tax returns for prescreening. Hoping this works out for me *knocks on wood*

Old 07-27-2016, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS013 View Post
One way they could do so is by making people upload income documents during the initial lottery application, instead of waiting until the lottery is closed and once people are assigned log numbers. On a happier note, I got a call this afternoon for 1035 Anderson Avenue in the Bronx to submit pay stubs and tax returns for prescreening. Hoping this works out for me *knocks on wood*
Congratulations! This is a difficult process at best. I wish you good luck with your application.
Well you are close to my point. If they would pre-qualify us then we would be given a category. Then we would use that to match it against the various buildings and we could apply to the matching categories. That way it basically comes down to drawing the lottery and then they could ask for more updated info. Provided people aren't cooking their books it would make it easier for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City