Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2017, 11:16 AM

115 posts, read 146,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynGT22 View Post
Just found out I got waitlisted. Log # 3xx

Oh well, I guess I would be receiving my waitlist letter pretty shortly as well

Old 04-05-2017, 03:42 PM

33 posts, read 53,175 times
My income qualifies in a band 4 and a band 5 studio, and a band 4 one-bedroom.

Three weeks ago I went to see a band 4 one-bedroom. It was absolutely amazing. They ran out of the band 4 one-bedrooms, and put me in for a band 5 studio. I went to see it today. It was tiny in comparison and more expensive than the band 4 one-bedroom (by $2/month, but still). I just don't understand how I would be paying $2/month more for a apartment that's half the size. It just really sucks to have seen an apartment and have it taken away from you, and then be given a smaller option that's just as expensive and half the size.

Old 04-05-2017, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_k View Post
My income qualifies in a band 4 and a band 5 studio, and a band 4 one-bedroom.

Three weeks ago I went to see a band 4 one-bedroom. It was absolutely amazing. They ran out of the band 4 one-bedrooms, and put me in for a band 5 studio. I went to see it today. It was tiny in comparison and more expensive than the band 4 one-bedroom (by $2/month, but still). I just don't understand how I would be paying $2/month more for a apartment that's half the size. It just really sucks to have seen an apartment and have it taken away from you, and then be given a smaller option that's just as expensive and half the size.

That really does suck, I don't understand if they are to show you that 1 bedroom in band 4 they should have held it for you and not give it to someone else....that's just not right. And, then turn around and ask you to pay more for a studio is doubly on right...just because they need to fill all the apartment?...that just blows.
Are you going to take the studio now? Or will you decline?

Old 04-05-2017, 04:02 PM

33 posts, read 53,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLum919 View Post
That really does suck, I don't understand if they are to show you that 1 bedroom in band 4 they should have held it for you and not give it to someone else....that's just not right. And, then turn around and ask you to pay more for a studio is doubly on right...just because they need to fill all the apartment?...that just blows.
Are you going to take the studio now? Or will you decline?
Really not sure. It doesn't really make sense. This is already quite expensive for me (I live with a roommate, hadn't considered living by myself), and having such a small space, I really don't know if it makes sense. I wouldn't be able to live there long-term. A 1-bedroom you can live in for a long time. Studio not so much.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,742 times
Longtime reader, first time posting. I had my interview in early Feb and after some back and forth about missing documents, I was finally approved by MHANY and my forms were sent to HDC. They set me up to view an apartment in band 5 (1 bedroom for $2504/month). Even though I know I am incredibly lucky to get this far and have this opportunity, I am not sure I will take the apartment if I get it. I really wanted to like this apartment and location, but after my girlfriend and I walked around the surrounding area and then south to Prospect park this past weekend I am totally on the fence. Flatbush ave is horrible (noisy, traffic ridden and polluted) and being next to the Barclays is both a blessing and a curse. There were hoards of fans for the globetrotters early in the day and then nets later on. Can anyone speak to the area and address my reservations about the location? Right now I don't see the upside of paying that price for that location even if the apartment and building are beautiful.

Old 04-05-2017, 10:34 PM

57 posts, read 59,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jc8491 View Post
Longtime reader, first time posting. I had my interview in early Feb and after some back and forth about missing documents, I was finally approved by MHANY and my forms were sent to HDC. They set me up to view an apartment in band 5 (1 bedroom for $2504/month). Even though I know I am incredibly lucky to get this far and have this opportunity, I am not sure I will take the apartment if I get it. I really wanted to like this apartment and location, but after my girlfriend and I walked around the surrounding area and then south to Prospect park this past weekend I am totally on the fence. Flatbush ave is horrible (noisy, traffic ridden and polluted) and being next to the Barclays is both a blessing and a curse. There were hoards of fans for the globetrotters early in the day and then nets later on. Can anyone speak to the area and address my reservations about the location? Right now I don't see the upside of paying that price for that location even if the apartment and building are beautiful.
I understand your concerns. I had those too...but I kind of like that it is a little busy as I feel safer as a girl. Its noisy, traffic ridden and polluted near most high rises..unlike residential areas.

I love that its close to so many subways which is not easy to find. Also, washer and dryer in unit...unreal. Lets not forget its never been lived in. The chances of getting another lottery...well thats for you to figure out. 90,000 applied for 181 apts. Lets not forget doorman building..which was big for me..atleast.

Do you like where you live? If so, perhaps it may not be worth it (?).

Either ways, its not like you are buying the place..just renting. You are not locked in. However, it is a huge pain to move in nyc, and costly too.

Old 04-05-2017, 11:18 PM

132 posts, read 252,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jc8491 View Post
Not all of these lottery apts. in luxury high rises are great or suitable. I was once sent to view an apt. in a high rise whose windows faced the windows of the apt. across from it. That's it. That was the entire view. And even though it was in a fancy high rise in Hudson Yards and a 1 bedroom for $1200 to boot, I knew I could never live there because for one, it was located in one of my least favorite corridors of the city (Times Square area) and because I knew I would never have privacy in my own home. So, I turned it down. I live in a tiny studio apt (266 sq, ft) that I got through a different lottery in a neighborhood I LOVE (downtown Brooklyn near Brooklyn Heights and Court St.) and am still vying for a 1 bedroom apt. because I desperately need the space. But having said that, before I apply for a lottery or attend any interview I am lucky enough to get asked to, I visit the neighborhood beforehand, walk around and ask myself if this could honestly be somewhere I'd want to live and be happy at. Having applied for Dean St., Carlton AND Sixth Ave. because at this point, they are some of he few lotteries that even include my income band, I have to say that I feel a similar ambiguity about the neighborhood as you do for all the reasons you mention. But thats due in part to living in a neighborhood I already love. But before I moved here, I knew very little about Brooklyn. When I came to scope out this neighborhood, it was a little bleak and very commercial--parking lots, Court bulidings, and Macy's and the 99c stores along Livingston. I wasn't aware of the gems that lay at the periphery--like the promenade, and Court and Smith St., Fulton Mall and BAM and Target less than a mile away. It's only after I moved in that I discovered these riches. I am sure there are gems hidden in the cacophonous bleakness of Flatbush Ave. you now see and you too could grow to love the neighborhood as I came to love mine. On the other hand, if the apt. and neighborhood don't speak to you, don't take it just because it's a lottery and it's a "good deal". Just know that if you turn this opportunity down, it may be a very long time before you'll get so lucky again. However, I can honestly say that I have never regretted turning down that 1 one bedroom with no view and a profound lack of privacy. Wishing you the best of luck.

Old 04-06-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronxgirl6 View Post
Not all of these lottery apts. in luxury high rises are great or suitable. I was once sent to view an apt. in a high rise whose windows faced the windows of the apt. across from it. That's it. That was the entire view. And even though it was in a fancy high rise in Hudson Yards and a 1 bedroom for $1200 to boot, I knew I could never live there because for one, it was located in one of my least favorite corridors of the city (Times Square area) and because I knew I would never have privacy in my own home. So, I turned it down. I live in a tiny studio apt (266 sq, ft) that I got through a different lottery in a neighborhood I LOVE (downtown Brooklyn near Brooklyn Heights and Court St.) and am still vying for a 1 bedroom apt. because I desperately need the space. But having said that, before I apply for a lottery or attend any interview I am lucky enough to get asked to, I visit the neighborhood beforehand, walk around and ask myself if this could honestly be somewhere I'd want to live and be happy at. Having applied for Dean St., Carlton AND Sixth Ave. because at this point, they are some of he few lotteries that even include my income band, I have to say that I feel a similar ambiguity about the neighborhood as you do for all the reasons you mention. But thats due in part to living in a neighborhood I already love. But before I moved here, I knew very little about Brooklyn. When I came to scope out this neighborhood, it was a little bleak and very commercial--parking lots, Court bulidings, and Macy's and the 99c stores along Livingston. I wasn't aware of the gems that lay at the periphery--like the promenade, and Court and Smith St., Fulton Mall and BAM and Target less than a mile away. It's only after I moved in that I discovered these riches. I am sure there are gems hidden in the cacophonous bleakness of Flatbush Ave. you now see and you too could grow to love the neighborhood as I came to love mine. On the other hand, if the apt. and neighborhood don't speak to you, don't take it just because it's a lottery and it's a "good deal". Just know that if you turn this opportunity down, it may be a very long time before you'll get so lucky again. However, I can honestly say that I have never regretted turning down that 1 one bedroom with no view and a profound lack of privacy. Wishing you the best of luck.
Wow a 266 sq ft apt? That's really tiny . I hope you do get something larger....good luck!!

Old 04-07-2017, 11:03 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,842,159 times
http://streeteasy.com/blog/win-nyc-housing-lottery/

Old 04-08-2017, 11:51 AM

30 posts, read 39,156 times
Just yesterday I received an "URGENT" email from the MHANY management saying:

- I qualify for 1.5K studio or 1.9K 1 bedroom.
- I needed to clarify a $60 deposit (was a rebate refund for a purchase)
- I am going in at the end of next week to meet and sign affidavits.

I'm becoming anxious after reading this thread. I'm reading that many units are taken, and I'm much later to this step in the process than what seems like many others are.

My current living situation was ideal, but it's become a nightmare. I have a laughably small roach infested studio in the village. It's rent stabilized but with new management there is so much construction and my shared bathroom in the hall has turned into some sort of dumping ground for construction guys.

I really want 461 Dean — but I'm trying not to get my hopes up too high. Can anyone guide what level of expectation I should be at?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery