Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2016, 07:38 AM

246 posts, read 485,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ725 View Post
I just went to look, OCTOBER 5 2015!

That is absurd, you hear me?
ridiculous.

yes October 5, 2015 and i heard from them in March 2016

Old 09-08-2016, 07:49 AM

91 posts, read 136,672 times
there is no reason it should take from march to September to gather info and send out paperwork.

especially when it was for... what... 50 apartments?

eek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy36 View Post
yes October 5, 2015 and i heard from them in March 2016

Old 09-08-2016, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ725 View Post
there is no reason it should take from march to September to gather info and send out paperwork.

especially when it was for... what... 50 apartments?

eek.

I feel you one that, after I went on the first interview then I got a letter in June stating i was prequalified and to bring in my tax forms. after i did that in June I called 2 weeks later and was told to wait I will be contacted. Then I got contacted in August. its just so long.

Old 09-09-2016, 12:36 PM

22 posts, read 73,772 times
Oh wow! Glad to hear that Sammy! Sounds like it's a done deal!

Last edited by Sunnlover03; 09-09-2016 at 12:47 PM..

Old 09-09-2016, 12:46 PM

22 posts, read 73,772 times
So, my friend had her interview for a Harlem apartment.

How it began: She received an email with dates to choose from for the interview. She responded with her choice, they confirmed. She didn't receive a hard copy confirmation in the mail. She went to the interview and her name was not on the list. Nor any of the other identifiers, a number or something. Thankfully she printed out the email, showed the receptionist and so she got to be seen. She said the interview was intense. She even had to sit in a park bench afterwards to decompress because it was grilling, and the stakes are really high for her. I'm in a good situation so I can wait. She can't.

This week she received an email saying she was denied because she missed two interview appointments!!! According to them she missed her chosen date and the follow up interview which she was never contacted about. This poor woman is in a horrible situation. She said she was shaking when she got the email. She contacted someone in community affairs and explained to them what happened. The community affairs person contacted HPD to look into her case. smh

I told her that from what I've read here I am not surprised. I hope that it gets straightened out. She should at least get a fair shot.

Old 09-09-2016, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnlover03 View Post
Oh wow! Glad to hear that Sammy! Sounds like it's a done deal!
We will see. I am sorry to hear about what happened to your friend. I hope that does not happen to me. I think HPD will help her out tho.

Old 09-09-2016, 01:18 PM

That so tough. Poor thing. Human error is totally possible and the reality of the need isn't respected during the process, and I'm sure it's that way to avoid bias. Still, it should have happened to her and I truly hope they sort it out for her. Wishing her the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnlover03 View Post
So, my friend had her interview for a Harlem apartment.

How it began: She received an email with dates to choose from for the interview. She responded with her choice, they confirmed. She didn't receive a hard copy confirmation in the mail. She went to the interview and her name was not on the list. Nor any of the other identifiers, a number or something. Thankfully she printed out the email, showed the receptionist and so she got to be seen. She said the interview was intense. She even had to sit in a park bench afterwards to decompress because it was grilling, and the stakes are really high for her. I'm in a good situation so I can wait. She can't.

This week she received an email saying she was denied because she missed two interview appointments!!! According to them she missed her chosen date and the follow up interview which she was never contacted about. This poor woman is in a horrible situation. She said she was shaking when she got the email. She contacted someone in community affairs and explained to them what happened. The community affairs person contacted HPD to look into her case. smh

I told her that from what I've read here I am not surprised. I hope that it gets straightened out. She should at least get a fair shot.

Old 09-10-2016, 08:03 PM

74 posts, read 93,335 times
Hi everyone,

I just stumbled upon this site today when searching "461 Dean." I'm a low-to-middle income person new to the lottery and got called for an interview, as several of you did, in the beginning of August. Have a CB preference, as I'm in western Crown Heights now, and have been for a while. My log # was in the mid 4Ks, fyi.

Just weighing in to add my experience - had no problem with the paperwork, except had to email my birth cert in a few days after the process. Haven't heard anything since, but curious because I read a post where one of you stated you got a confirmation from them that your app was complete. Should I be worried if I never heard from them? Never got a confirmation that they got my birth cert, and never thought to follow up with them about it. In fact, I didn't really think much about this since the interview -- I'm used to rejection in general, lol, so I tend to put things out of my mind rather than dwell.

Also - affordable housing would be amazing for me, especially above such a transportation hub into the city, but - damn, does anyone else think those apartments look prefab as hell? I mean I know that's the point, but it looks, from what I can see going by late at night, like low ceilings and ugly 70s style fluorescent lights in the kitchens. I mean, not saying I'd turn it down for aesthetics, but seriously... doesn't seem like that attractive of a set up.

Anyway thanks for posting here, great to read other experiences similar to my own, and good luck to all!

Old 09-12-2016, 08:22 AM

so I emailed 461 Dean on Friday to see what process they were with my application. I just received and email stating that I have to wait at least 2 months to hear back anything.

ok now back to waiting...........

Old 09-12-2016, 10:27 AM

gtfoh. 2 months? lol. So... about that December move in date... guess that was WAY more realistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy36 View Post
so I emailed 461 Dean on Friday to see what process they were with my application. I just received and email stating that I have to wait at least 2 months to hear back anything.

ok now back to waiting...........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery