Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2016, 05:37 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,840,316 times

Advertisements

When I signed like 15 pages of papers at my last interview they said those are all sent to HDC (and some other city agency as well). It's just to prove that you are vetted to qualify. At the end it is still up the developer if you qualify. I.E. No one asked about pets... The interview with the actual developers WILL. If you say you have 10 cats then you will get rejected. If it's obvious you can't swing the rent based on your debt to income you will be rejected.

Old 10-12-2016, 05:42 PM

296 posts, read 479,422 times
Default lyla45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
quote:
Once I am approved from HDC I will be given an apt.

That is not the case. Once you get approved from HDC you then have to get approved by the actual developer. If they think you can't swing the rent or have people with better credit scores, more savings, etc, you will get rejected.
It's does't work that way. First, you get approved by development management, after that they send your file for approval by HDC. Everything is going according your log number first and then decent credit score.

Old 10-12-2016, 05:48 PM

We will have to agree to disagree on this. The actual developers have NO CLUE who any of the people are who have been approved yet. Our files will go to the developers soon and then things will be whittled down from there. We only passed the initial aspect of this process. Maybe other lotteries are different, not every development is the same and they don't all work the same way. Rehabbed tenements that in the affordable lottery program work the way you say, these brand new construction buildings do not. I could be totally wrong, but I don't think I am. It's why I am not confident at all about my shot at this point. I also don't want to be disappointed.

Old 10-12-2016, 05:59 PM

296 posts, read 479,422 times
Default lyla45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
We will have to agree to disagree on this. The actual developers have NO CLUE who any of the people are who have been approved yet. Our files will go to the developers soon and then things will be whittled down from there. We only passed the initial aspect of this process. Maybe other lotteries are different, not every development is the same and they don't all work the same way. Rehabbed tenements that in the affordable lottery program work the way you say, these brand new construction buildings do not. I could be totally wrong, but I don't think I am. It's why I am not confident at all about my shot at this point. I also don't want to be disappointed.
The city oversees the developments and check everything in order to obay the law. That's why the city go after development and check everything .

Old 10-12-2016, 06:30 PM

56 posts, read 87,717 times
Yeah.. once the city approves you its final. The developer would have found a way to deny you beforehand.

Old 10-12-2016, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrklynTransplant View Post
Yippee...congrats! Did you need to provide anything else or just sign stuff? Have they already completed the employment & landlord verification and credit check or does HDC do that?

That's awesome!

Yes they did, they actually mailed the verification to my job directly and it was sent back to them

Old 10-12-2016, 06:36 PM

56 posts, read 93,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynresident5 View Post
Yes they did, they actually mailed the verification to my job directly and it was sent back to them
Thanks...do you know if they called your landlord too?

Old 10-12-2016, 06:37 PM

Once the file is sent to HDC they just again verify that you meet the income range etc. HDC does not care about your credit report, the developer does. But please note that the developer/management company wouldn't have sent your file to HDC to begin with if they expect/want you to be rejected... those not moving forward would receive a rejection letter and not get called in to sign any TIC forms (forms to be sent to the city for final approval)

Also, a unit is assigned because when they send your file to the city they have to select a unit beforehand. I am speaking from working in the industry and being someone who used to send low income apps to the city for approval as well as interview potential tenants etcs

Old 10-12-2016, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrklynTransplant View Post
Thanks...do you know if they called your landlord too?
I honestly dont think they did, I believe they just went by the letter I gave them from the management company

Old 10-12-2016, 06:44 PM

Thank you for that information, brooklynresident5!!! Very good stuff to hear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery