Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 10:44 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,335,528 times

Advertisements

As a caveat, first time in the Midwest.

Yes, taxes are high here.
Yes, housing is extremely expensive (on an absolute basis).
Yes, the competition is intense....for anything...
Yes, there is lots of government waste and very many useless city employees(if we even tackled half of this problem our QOL would increase immensely).
Yes, day to day, living is harder here by any measure.

However, my biggest takeaway from visiting KCMO is that when life gets way too easy you get fat, entitled, and start to ***** and complain when things get a tad bit harder.

If all of the US was like KCMO (or any part of the Midwest for that matter), we'd be done as a nation.
If, on the other hand, all of the US was like NYC, we'd all be miserable cutthroats but we'd be fairly well off and resilient.

This is all a little tongue in cheek but I'm glad I grew up and live in NYC rather than there.

The BBQ is amazing though ...

Last edited by wawaweewa; 04-28-2016 at 11:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 01:19 PM

18,842 posts, read 13,725,226 times
I'd leave NYC for the midwest in half of a heartbeat. Iowa in my experience is likely the best place to live in the country all around. I've spent a lot of time there.

Old 04-28-2016, 01:32 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,015,727 times
I spent a few months in Nebraska. The scene at the local Walmart was not too pretty. That said, if someone told me they were planning to move to Lincoln or Omaha and didn't care about missing the action, energy and amenities of NYC, I'd say it wouldn't be such a bad choice.

Old 04-28-2016, 02:50 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,381,888 times
You don't even have to leave New York state, upstate New York is probably like the Midwest in many aspects. I feel like I'm in another state when I'm in Binghamton/Vestal.

Old 04-28-2016, 05:07 PM

11,327 posts, read 20,247,246 times
Kansas City wouldn't be my first choice, or second for that matter, but I can't blame someone for wanting to get from the big city. NYC is exhausting, it's good to spend time elsewhere.

Old 04-28-2016, 11:42 PM

17,877 posts, read 15,731,249 times
There are plenty of places in the city limits and suburbs that are like you described.

Now, let me ask you, did you visit the rural areas, where they have productive farms and ranches?

Old 04-29-2016, 07:27 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,890,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Kansas City wouldn't be my first choice, or second for that matter, but I can't blame someone for wanting to get from the big city. NYC is exhausting, it's good to spend time elsewhere.
I agree. I like to go out to the west coast for my vacations, but wouldnt to move out of NYC permanently.

Old 04-29-2016, 07:35 AM

782 posts, read 851,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
You don't even have to leave New York state, upstate New York is probably like the Midwest in many aspects. I feel like I'm in another state when I'm in Binghamton/Vestal.
I was just thinking the same thing. Anywhere west/north of Monticello is like another world. I spend time in Allegheny county ("Southern Tier" region of NY state) every now and then, and I feel immensely out of place.

Old 04-29-2016, 11:22 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,140,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I'd leave NYC for the midwest in half of a heartbeat. Iowa in my experience is likely the best place to live in the country all around. I've spent a lot of time there.
Why don't you go? You obviously hate NYC so much, one less bitter/angry person here makes NYC a little better.

Old 04-29-2016, 11:36 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,142,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
^^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by funcrusher3000 View Post
I was just thinking the same thing. Anywhere west/north of Monticello is like another world. I spend time in Allegheny county ("Southern Tier" region of NY state) every now and then, and I feel immensely out of place.
Well, folks from Upstate think the same about NYC. It's very true, however, that Upstate NY, especially the rural areas, is very different than NYC. For example, 50% of the people in Upstate live in rural areas whereas throughout the US 80% of people live in urban areas. There are probably more whitetail deer in Allegany County than people.

PS: Allegheny County is in southwestern PA outside of Pittsburgh. Allegany County is the NY's Southern Tier, just east of Cattaraugus County (aka "God's Country"). Those Pennsyltuckians like to put on airs with their fancy spelling but they can't hide their twangs and their red necks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City