Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 12:16 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,669,164 times

Advertisements

Do you consider NYC to be a town of cutthroats? In other words, do you feel that we all deceive and betray our friends and colleagues?

I sure haven't found that. I find that most New Yorkers are constantly willing to help each other - sharing job-hunting tips, making referrals for doctors, warning them of scamming dangers, picking up the dinner check for poorer friends, passing on hand-me-downs...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 01:29 PM

132 posts, read 171,548 times
I lived in Philadelphia up until this February. Can't help but laugh at anything in the northeast being 'outdoors'. It amazed me at how un worldly people in the region were and this thread is a great example. Many had never left the east coast in their entire life.

OP, I'm sorry that you had a bad visit to your in-laws. Your dual thread on the KC board made it very apparent. Though I am more inclined to believe that it was a visit to your step dad's based on your maturity level.

NYC'er visiting KC

Old 05-01-2016, 05:14 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,215,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
God bless accountants but I could never do it. If you're interested this is my field. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_science
The job market is hot right now. Hell, even I got hired recently. Maybe you should give it a go.

I went to school in Binghamton. I've been to the "nature" there. Same **** as we have here. The townies were so all over that nature! They couldn't stop naturing! Is that why Binghamton/Vestal are booming?

"Devil breathing down your neck" lol Oooh multiple alarms (in the past month of "so", does the so mean more like 2 months? lol). That means 10 guys working and 50 standing around right? You guys have too much time on your hands. Government parasites always exclaim how they "busted their hump". You ever come across one that admitted to having an easy job and collecting that cheese? Reminds me of a cop at my gym literally bitching and moaning that he had to retire at 42 instead of 40. Everyone just seemed confused. It's like a kid complaining he has to unzip his pants before taking a ****. lol

Your argument is nonsensical. Is an F-150 out in Iowa better than an F-150 in NYC because it's in a more "authentic" environment. Nature is nature. We have it here, same as they have it there. Most residents here don't take advantage of it. Just as if they moved to a more "natural" place, they still wouldn't make use of it.

If human beings loved nature so much, we'd still be running around half naked in some forest and stoning animals to death or foraging for nuts in search of our next meal. I know your job doesn't demand much but nothing prevents you from cracking open a book or two. You might actually learn something! Suburbs aren't rural. People do not move to suburbs for the nature.

The difference between someone like me and you, is that I would not hesitate to run in and do everything in my power to pull your soft, pudgy ass out of a bad situation. You truly do not understand what that means, and never will. All you care about is money, and it's as clear as day. There really is nothing more to say about this.

And there really is not much more to say about your "experience" with the outdoors. If you are trying to compare pelham bay park and jamaica bay to actual wilderness, then you're truly one clueless troglodyte.

Last edited by availableusername; 05-01-2016 at 06:25 PM..

Old 05-01-2016, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adebord View Post
I lived in Philadelphia up until this February. Can't help but laugh at anything in the northeast being 'outdoors'. It amazed me at how un worldly people in the region were and this thread is a great example. Many had never left the east coast in their entire life.

OP, I'm sorry that you had a bad visit to your in-laws. Your dual thread on the KC board made it very apparent. Though I am more inclined to believe that it was a visit to your step dad's based on your maturity level.

NYC'er visiting KC

What an absolute waste of breathing air this guy is to this world. The fact that someone would go and make a thread like that, blows my mind. Are you f'ing 10 years old? You are some kind of douche. I'm done with this guy...

Last edited by availableusername; 05-01-2016 at 05:53 PM..

Old 05-01-2016, 05:42 PM

346 posts, read 383,362 times
This country is vast and you cannot compare the nature of nyc to any of it. Upstate is beautiful but if you want to see real beauty go to Montana or Wyoming. Those states are truly beautiful. I am a lifelong nyc resident and I love nyc for all it has to offer. I go to Broadway shows , Lincoln Center and Carnegie hall and I love it but the natural beauty of those states and others is unbelievable. I hope to make another trip out there maybe to Glacier National Park if I'm lucky.

Old 05-01-2016, 06:20 PM

19,041 posts, read 13,959,968 times
I lived in Colorado for four years, have been to Alaska, traveled most of the US, a little of Canada, all over the mountainous Balkans (Bosnia and Macedonia are both beautiful) and Germany.

I enjoyed the outdoors everywhere I went, and when I get out, I get far out. Like "break a leg and you'll probably die" far out with only what I can carry on my back for a few days at a time.

That all said, the Adirondacks in my opinion are the most beautiful place in the world. Whether NY, NH, VT or even ME, the forested mountains of the northeastern United States are my favorite place in the whole world.

Old 05-01-2016, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I lived in Colorado for four years, have been to Alaska, traveled most of the US, a little of Canada, all over the mountainous Balkans (Bosnia and Macedonia are both beautiful) and Germany.

I enjoyed the outdoors everywhere I went, and when I get out, I get far out. Like "break a leg and you'll probably die" far out with only what I can carry on my back for a few days at a time.

That all said, the Adirondacks in my opinion are the most beautiful place in the world. Whether NY, NH, VT or even ME, the forested mountains of the northeastern United States are my favorite place in the whole world.

I totally agree. The Adirondacks are incredible, and highly underrated when discussions of beauty in this country take place.

Old 05-01-2016, 06:53 PM

19,041 posts, read 13,959,968 times
It's the smell of the forest. Can't be beat.

Old 05-02-2016, 06:30 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
The difference between someone like me and you, is that I would not hesitate to run in and do everything in my power to pull your soft, pudgy ass out of a bad situation. You truly do not understand what that means, and never will. All you care about is money, and it's as clear as day. There really is nothing more to say about this.

And there really is not much more to say about your "experience" with the outdoors. If you are trying to compare pelham bay park and jamaica bay to actual wilderness, then you're truly one clueless troglodyte.
Wrong again government parasite.

Used to compete in oly lifting and strongman in my teens and throughout college (plenty of free time ). Don't anymore but still hit the gym regularly. I may bit a bit pudgy (aren't we all? lol) but stronger than you most likely. 99% sure about that.

Where would you have to run to? A car accident? Maybe the local supermarket? (why is it that I always see you guys at supermarkets? I don't see cops there.) lol

Maybe many ignorants buy your "hero" bull****. Not here.

Last edited by wawaweewa; 05-02-2016 at 06:39 PM..

Old 05-02-2016, 06:37 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howdydoody342 View Post
What outdoor activities are u referring to? Even in the suburbs, one still has to travel to go hiking, unless u live at the foot of mountains. Go to randall's island on the weekends or any parks around the city and tons of people are out doing "outdoor activities," running, biking, every sport you can think of. If you want to go surfing u can go to the rockaways or LI
People like him are full of ****.

The amount of people who actually love and are passionate about nature are few and far between.

Do I enjoy and appreciate nature? Yeh, I do but not for any extended period of time. Would I hunt and forage for food everyday? Would I live off the grid? Not unless I absolutely had to.

A lot of people claim to love nature but what they really love is the idea of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City