U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-02-2016, 11:45 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY born & raised!
2,633 posts, read 3,985,318 times
Reputation: 3549

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden22 View Post
Ha most single people can't afford $1500 rent.
I know someone who moved here from Australia. She's paying $1500 to live with 3 roommates in Williamsburg. We pay less than that for a large 1BR, and that's the average in my area.

It is crazy, our building is all studios and 1 BRs. There are families living here. The one next to me has 3 kids - in a studio apt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-02-2016, 01:04 PM
 
Location: New York, NY
2,899 posts, read 2,498,285 times
Reputation: 1861
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden22 View Post
Ha most single people can't afford $1500 rent.
Are you kidding? 1500 is extremely cheap rent! I am a single woman and I can pay that easily.

If you're skilled and living in Manhattan, a 60K salary (40x the rent of $1,500) is actually very little money.

Real expensive rents are the one bedrooms for $3,500
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2016, 01:12 PM
 
6,685 posts, read 6,266,156 times
Reputation: 4797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
The one next to me has 3 kids - in a studio apt.
This is my idea of hell
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2016, 03:31 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY born & raised!
2,633 posts, read 3,985,318 times
Reputation: 3549
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
This is my idea of hell
Living next door to a family in a studio or being that cramped?

What's funny is I never hear them. They are as quiet as can be.

The one I hear all the time? The woman 2 doors down from me who is in a 2 room studio and has her son every other weekend. She blasts music left and right and parties a lot. My friend who was catsitting for us, said she even heard her having sex when she went down the hall to toss the trash.

As for $1500 being affordable, maybe by NYC standards it is, but remember in many other places in the country that's a mortgage on a house. Most places $1500 will get you a 3BR townhouse with a pool, parking space and a gated community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2016, 04:10 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY
2,344 posts, read 1,476,182 times
Reputation: 1089
If enough people dislike the high costs of NYC living, then people will move away and landlords will have to lower rents. That's the beauty of a (relatively) free market.

EDIT: I don't think this will actually happen.

Last edited by bklynkenny; 05-02-2016 at 04:11 PM.. Reason: Clarification
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2016, 06:49 PM
 
Location: Eric Forman's basement
2,224 posts, read 2,384,772 times
Reputation: 1202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
Living next door to a family in a studio or being that cramped?

What's funny is I never hear them. They are as quiet as can be.

The one I hear all the time? The woman 2 doors down from me who is in a 2 room studio and has her son every other weekend. She blasts music left and right and parties a lot. My friend who was catsitting for us, said she even heard her having sex when she went down the hall to toss the trash.

As for $1500 being affordable, maybe by NYC standards it is, but remember in many other places in the country that's a mortgage on a house. Most places $1500 will get you a 3BR townhouse with a pool, parking space and a gated community.
Having sex in the hall while tossing the trash? Gross!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2016, 08:43 PM
 
22,230 posts, read 14,977,185 times
Reputation: 15821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
I know someone who moved here from Australia. She's paying $1500 to live with 3 roommates in Williamsburg. We pay less than that for a large 1BR, and that's the average in my area.

It is crazy, our building is all studios and 1 BRs. There are families living here. The one next to me has 3 kids - in a studio apt.

One, you didn't say when you moved into your apartment. If it is RS and has been awhile then the point is moot as arrivals do not have the same choice.


Next while it sounds odd to us for someone to pay that much to live in a one bedroom with roommates, without knowing her situation it is hard to judge.


Unless you have a credit score at or near 800, can pass a credit/background check, and of course meet the 40x salary to rent ratio finding an apartment in NYC is a tough nut to crack. Even more so in the desirable areas of Brooklyn where everyone and their mother seems to want to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2016, 02:39 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY born & raised!
2,633 posts, read 3,985,318 times
Reputation: 3549
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
One, you didn't say when you moved into your apartment. If it is RS and has been awhile then the point is moot as arrivals do not have the same choice.


Next while it sounds odd to us for someone to pay that much to live in a one bedroom with roommates, without knowing her situation it is hard to judge.


Unless you have a credit score at or near 800, can pass a credit/background check, and of course meet the 40x salary to rent ratio finding an apartment in NYC is a tough nut to crack. Even more so in the desirable areas of Brooklyn where everyone and their mother seems to want to live.
We moved into our apt a year and a half ago. Arrivals have the same option as I got my apt through a broker. There are still plenty of apts in our area that are going for not much more than we're paying now.

As my Australian friend, she's sharing a 4BR, not a 1BR. She wanted to live with roommates for the 1st year (she moved here in Oct.) and then get her own place.

There are still plenty of options out there, you just have to be willing to either have a longer commute, live in a less desirable neighborhood, or be patient with apt. listings. I have better luck going through the local neighborhood newspapers. I found my last 2 apts that way and both were way below market rents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2016, 05:42 PM
 
75,826 posts, read 75,254,416 times
Reputation: 53136
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Having sex in the hall while tossing the trash? Gross!
nothing sexier then a woman passed out in a dumpster ... ha ha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2016, 07:11 PM
 
22,230 posts, read 14,977,185 times
Reputation: 15821
New York City has a problem; despite decades of interference (rent control laws) there was not then nor is there now enough "affordable" housing. As the City like many other urban areas in the USA increasingly becomes a place of destination for certain demographics instead of fleeing things are only going to get worse.


Rent stabilization and control are a failure in terms of their stated purpose. Whatever their intent the practical matter is such units have become like hitting the lottery. Those who have or get a below market unit rarely leave unless they die. That means more must be created something not every landlord or developer is on board.


However the alternative is equally depressing; as seen with Boston if RS were ended vast numbers of low and even middle income persons would be shoved out of a good part of NYC.


That being said Boston did show what good can come out of ending rent controls. The housing stock there dramatically improved as LLs began to put money into their properties and developers built new or renovated. You can see some of that already in NYC; buildings that were once mostly RS or RC that now are a healthy mix of market rate (if not all) have been gussied up and look great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top